Overextended Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have all heard of the dangers of overextending oil drain intervals - conventional wisdom says that engine oil should be changed out when TBN is at half its original value.

There are many posts in UOA where it is recommended that oil be changed, but none (unless I missed them) where the effects of severely overextended oil is shown. Does anyone have, or has anyone seen, oil analyses where TBN has been badly degraded or depleted entirely?

[ March 29, 2003, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: Tommy ]

I asked a similar question a while back and someone posted a really awful UOA where the TBN was either zero or very close to it. I can't remember when it was posted though, but it's in there somewhere. Sorry I can't be more specific.

I may have one here shortly. My wife missed her oil change and is over 6,000 on dino oil. I'm going to analyze it and post it here for comments. It's a 96 Plymouth Voyager 3.3l with 95,000 miles.

quote:

Originally posted by greencrew:
I may have one here shortly. My wife missed her oil change and is over 6,000 on dino oil. I'm going to analyze it and post it here for comments. It's a 96 Plymouth Voyager 3.3l with 95,000 miles.

That shold be interesting. What kind of oil is it??

[ March 30, 2003, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Al ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back