Over Tightened Canister Filter Cap

Drove my new to me used car home last Friday, anxious to change the oil and filter. Put the wrench on the canister nut to loosed it up before starting the oil and couldn't get it loose. Out to shed for short piece of pipe for leverage...still no luck. Got the Harbor Freight electric impact wrench out, knowing full well I could rip the cap apart, and gave it a short burst. Still no luck. Gave it a few more; no luck. Some choice words, then decided to go for it, and gave it a long burst until it reluctantly came loose! I use this non-adjustable impact to remove lug nuts and blades on my pull behind mower so it has fairly good strength. No idea how a canister cap could have been put on that tight without breaking, but it was. Now it isn't! :D

i think you mean cartridge not canister but even i get them confused, I'd still replace it though. Must've been weakened and i wouldn't trust it too much. really hate those filters because a tiny tube of just media and a dirt cheap o ring is around $10 while a huge fram ph5 is under $4. What nonsense. Cartridge filters should be just a dollar if they're gonna include next to nothing in materials and manufacturing. ill take a canister filter over a cartridge and even Toyota phased back into spin on canisters.

Had the same issue on a Toyota 2GRFE, got the engine nice and hot after a good drive then put a filter strap wrench on the housing and finally cracked the cap off. All is right with the world now.

Mercedes Benz? be grateful they even put a hex head on the cap, for many years they didn’t.

admitting defeat and having to purchase the gigantic filter cap wrench is not a good feeling

i think you mean cartridge not canister but even i get them confused, I'd still replace it though. Must've been weakened and i wouldn't trust it too much. really hate those filters because a tiny tube of just media and a dirt cheap o ring is around $10 while a huge fram ph5 is under $4. What nonsense. Cartridge filters should be just a dollar if they're gonna include next to nothing in materials and manufacturing. ill take a canister filter over a cartridge and even Toyota phased back into spin on canisters.

Correct.....it is a cartridge, on the '18 Mercedes. Same style on the Audi. I love this type filter on top or side of the motor as they can be changed with zero drips. Forgot to check whether it is made of metal or a type of polymer like the Audi. I do agree that they should be cheaper than the metal housed filters, but at $8 for a Mahle once or twice a year its not a problem.

I scares me to think what would happen if the cap on my 2016 Wrangler was screwed on that tight. The oil filter cooler assembly on the 3.6 L Pentastar is problematic from what I've read. I torque mine down to 100" lbs. and as long as I am able I will be the only person changing the oil on that vehicle. I won't tempt fate.

Reactions: JC1
Correct.....it is a cartridge, on the '18 Mercedes. Same style on the Audi. I love this type filter on top or side of the motor as they can be changed with zero drips. Forgot to check whether it is made of metal or a type of polymer like the Audi. I do agree that they should be cheaper than the metal housed filters, but at $8 for a Mahle once or twice a year its not a problem.
Oh, if it's atop mounted minimal mess filter then yeah it's convenient enough. If it's like those down mounted toyota or audi ones then heck no. Nothing but a mess.

I don't see where or how anyone can employ a torque spec on a piece of plastic (the housing) which "shoulders out".

Turn, turn, turn and it stops.

The oiled O-ring is taken down its bore....and sits there.
Yep, O-ring will energize with pressure … just needs to be snug. Here is my wrench:

EE547ADE-7BD5-40CE-A94C-5476F63F5B59.jpg

When I first got my Toyota Sienna I bought a Fram Ultra filter and the required cap wrench to change out the filter that the dealer put in. I had to use my harbor freight 1/2" drive breaker bar and all of my strength to get that filter cap broken free. I was almost certain something was going to break in the process. I had also found the oil a little over a quart low from the full mark before changing out the filter. Don't even get me started on the brake job they had done before selling me the vehicle. Seems that if you want something done right you just have to do it yourself unless you are lucky enough to find someone you can really trust.

I’ve never had an issue with the caps on my cars- going back to 1995 and my Club Sport. I can’t imagine what would cause an issue except a dry or damaged O-ring.

I have two vehicles with cartridge type oil filters. Here’s what I did before the first oil change. I took some type correction fluid and put matching marks on the cap and mounting flange. When the marks line up, stop. Another way is to quit tightening when the cap stops. The O-rings do the sealing.

Back