over pressurized oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other day I had an oil change at the local named franchised shop. I did some things afterwards, by the time I got home home (25miles later) oil was shooting out from where the screw on filter (preformax PO19)was installed. from the gasket. I didn't know. the truck (2003 e250)stayed parked. a day later my son used the truck and 5 miles later it broke down. The truck had driven a total of 32 miles after the oil change when it broke down. it was towed to my mechanic's shop. the managers from the oil change shop came up. the filter was removed and i was told it had ballooned. they say it isnt their fault and it was caused by a bad oil pump valve. there were no problems with the truck prior to this oil change. the old filter showed no signs of over pressurization and it's not mentioned on the paperwork. as i said the truck was only driven 32 miles before it broke down. when i went to look where the truck was parked in the daylight you could see a large amount of oil was lost. any thoughts? is this filter the correct one for this truck (4.2L V6)?

when the filter was removed there was a gasket in the filter. after the truck broke down and prior to removing the screw on filter you could see the gasket hanging out from the filter can.

Sometimes the old filter is removed and its gasket remains stuck to the mounting surface. If they don't watch, they will mount the new filter and you'll have two gaskets, of which one will surely blow out. As to the filter being ballooned, did you see the filter? I wonder if maybe there was an ever so slight bulge and they figure it was their out.

Provided the mechanic at the shop where the truck was first towed can verify the filter was ballooned the manager at the lube place is probably correct. Just some bad luck there.

that is what was thought at first but one of the managers that removed the filter said there was no old gasket remaining. they wanted the filter they installed but i wouldn't give it to them. they said they wanted to send it out for testing. i dont know what a new one looks like. if it's buldged or not.

Sounds like a good reason to change one's own oil.You would think contracting out to someone else would place the burden on them,however everybody will say anything to avoid the expense of repair.Sorta doesnt make it worth it.

something just doesn't seem right. there were no problems before, i get an oil change and 32 miles later my engine seizes?? tough to beleive.

do these piticular filters have a flat bottom or are they rounded?

the old filter that was removed showed no signs of ballooning

I think the oil change folks owe you an engine.
Don't talk to them other than to tell them that they screwed up.
If you need to hire an attorney, it won't cost you much, since a phone call should be all it'll take to get their attention.

Oh man - sorry to hear what happened.
Would be interesting to see the outcome on this one. Something just isn't right.

i have pictures and video of all the oils stains and trails in the street. i have the oil filter they installed. i have the receipt and they do not mention any damage on the prexisting filter. i will be talking to the owner tomorrow. my attorney will send him a letter stating where i stand. i am going to try to put a claim into their insurance company. if within my legal right i will be taking ads out in the local paper telling my story. does anyone have an idea as to what could have happened?

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Sometimes the old filter is removed and its gasket remains stuck to the mounting surface. If they don't watch, they will mount the new filter and you'll have two gaskets, of which one will surely blow out. As to the filter being ballooned, did you see the filter? I wonder if maybe there was an ever so slight bulge and they figure it was their out.

My Spidey Sense says this^

Originally Posted By: joer
The other day I had an oil change at the local named franchised shop. I did some things afterwards, by the time I got home home (25miles later) oil was shooting out from where the screw on filter (preformax PO19)was installed. from the gasket. I didn't know. the truck (2003 e250)stayed parked. a day later my son used the truck and 5 miles later it broke down. The truck had driven a total of 32 miles after the oil change when it broke down. it was towed to my mechanic's shop. the managers from the oil change shop came up. the filter was removed and i was told it had ballooned. they say it isnt their fault and it was caused by a bad oil pump valve. there were no problems with the truck prior to this oil change. the old filter showed no signs of over pressurization and it's not mentioned on the paperwork. as i said the truck was only driven 32 miles before it broke down. when i went to look where the truck was parked in the daylight you could see a large amount of oil was lost. any thoughts? is this filter the correct one for this truck (4.2L V6)?

At the risk of being too direct, which one is it? And why, if you knew the filter was leaking, did you not pull the key and leave a "DO NOT OPERATE" note on the steering wheel while you handled things with the oil change shop?

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Sounds like a good reason to change one's own oil.You would think contracting out to someone else would place the burden on them,however everybody will say anything to avoid the expense of repair.Sorta doesnt make it worth it.

It's an oil change shop. It's what they do. Consumers should be able to expect this service to be performed correctly by an enterprise whose sole focus is this same procedure.

I mean, come on. That's like telling someone to pull their own teeth because all dentists are simply idiots who couldn't get into medical school.

Post some pictures of the filter, shouldn't be too hard to see if it ballooned. Also would be a good idea to take the filter apart to see what the internals look like. Sounds to me like it could be a defective filter, in which case it wouldn't be the shop responsible for the damage. You would have to go after the filter manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back