Over inflated tire…

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I got a flat and plugged it at a gas station. Used their air but the barometer was wrong. Read 30 when I check with mine it was 70…. Ambient temp was 70F. The tire also sat totally flat for 5 mins while I bought the plug kit. Did I permanently damage the tire from grossly over inflating it or letting it sit on the sidewall (non run flat)? Max rating labeled on the side of the tire is 50psi…

Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. I got a flat and plugged it at a gas station. Used their air but the barometer was wrong. Read 30 when I check with mine it was 70…. Ambient temp was 70F. The tire also sat totally flat for 5 mins while I bought the plug kit. Did I permanently damage the tire from grossly over inflating it or letting it sit on the sidewall (non run flat)? Max rating labeled on the side of the tire is 50psi…
No

No you didn't especially in that short of time. I always keep a slime brand gauge since they're pretty accurate and reliable. Also use the tpms in my new truck as well. Guessing you had neither to double check. Get a gauge to keep in the car.

70 psi is nothing. Some Honda Insight owners drive at that pressure all the time. Here are a few Bevis and Buttheads finding out the burst pressure. Fast forward to 7:15 when it blows.

Thanks for all the great answers. Yeah, I should've used my portable battery powered air pump in the trunk of my car, but I figured I'd save time by using the coin-op one at the station since it was totally flat. Bad move hah. I was fool for trusting that **** gauge for even a second... The thing read 30psi when it was in reality, 70psi. Live and learn. Oh and an update on the tire. The thing is toast anyway =[. Brand new tire, got sliced by a piece of metal. I plugged it and limped home. Used two plugs and still leaks. RIP. Would I be able to patch it? It's only slightly leaking. Nowhere near sidewall. Tiny, slow bubbles when I spray it.

You'd have to go WAY above 70 psi to do damage. I've personally come across P-metric tires inflated to over 100 psi without issue. A good tire won't fail until well over 150 psi.

Back