over 465k miles---decision time

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok guys I can't decide. my accord f22b1 and auto trans have over 465k miles. it runs ok but is pushing coolant so a small HG leak is my suspicion. oil is normal and coolant is normal except you can tell exhaust gases
are getting in it from air buildup and slight oily carbon-like residue. I would be fine putting a new head and new HG on it but wondering how bad rings are worn. I'm sure a compression test would be bad
since I hear the rumbling (valves sticking) when slowing down and suspect the head needs
a complete overhaul. should I replace head with a reman or drop a low mileage engine in it. anybody see a cracked block or sleeve on a f22 engine? it's an aluminum block with iron sleeves. just don't wanna redo head and HG and
have a problem with the block where it
still pushes coolant. btw the temp gauge stays
below the halfway mark... and it never smokes, just leaks oil at vc cover and oil pan ..thoughts?

Last edited:
^ditto.

Do you commute or travel for work? Maybe a Prius would make financial sense as a replacement if you're racking up tons of miles quickly.

and congrats on getting that many miles out of it!

Put in some bars leak or something to see if you can get it to stop without actually doing any work on it and to get a little more out of it. I wouldn't invest any real time or money in it at 465k miles...but that's just me.

I'd use mechanic in a can to see if you can get to 500K. Blue devil works great on your slow type of head gasket leak. Run some BG44K to clean up the valves and keep motoring.

I doubt it's worth it to rebuild a 95 Accord unless its sentimental to you, which is likely spending that much road time in one car. My old vette has around that many miles but with its 5th engine. They can bury me in that thing.

Is it burning oil? Are you still passing state emissions testing? I believe that is one of the best engines Honda has ever made, period. Guess you can't really tell if your losing oil or burning it. I'd do a compression check. If it on the mark, I'd pop the heads and either rebuild, if valves/seats can be saved. Face it, you won't be out of money if you get even 6 months out of it after that point. It's like that commercial, that thing is throwing money back to you now. Are you confident with the transmission? That's something I'd have to think about too. With that many miles, you couldn't hardly give it away....keep it and go another 400K!! Every thing needs some work from time to time.

I agree with the mechanic in a can to hit that milestone and run it til it dies, unless it is critical that you not be stranded (lots of long trips etc).

However, that car certainly does not owe you a penny.

How is the rest of the car? Is it something you want to keep driving?

I would assume you can get the coolant issue solved. The question is how is the rest of the car. That likely drives the train here.

Originally Posted By: joel95ex
ok guys I can't decide. my accord f22b1 and auto trans have over 465k miles. it runs ok but is pushing coolant so a small HG leak is my suspicion. oil is normal and coolant is normal except you can tell exhaust gases
are getting in it from air buildup and slight oily carbon-like residue. I would be fine putting a new head and new HG on it but wondering how bad rings are worn. I'm sure a compression test would be bad
since I hear the rumbling (valves sticking) when slowing down and suspect the head needs
a complete overhaul. should I replace head with a reman or drop a low mileage engine in it. anybody see a cracked block or sleeve on a f22 engine? it's an aluminum block with iron sleeves. just don't wanna redo head and HG and
below the halfway mark... and it never smokes, just leaks oil at vc cover and oil pan ..thoughts?

thanks guys. I'm pretty attached to the car and other than paint and driver's leather, it is good. it is over due for a timing belt and I have all of those parts already so I might change t-belt and try a pour-in treatment and try to get it to 500k. It actually has more than 465k since the speed sensor was out for a while. we just bought a brand new car so I don't want another car pmt. as far as the rest of the car I was going to plasti-dip the whole thing after the motor situation is fixed. as far a HG goes if I pulled head then I would surely get a reman since I guarantee this one is prob not truly flat

With that kind of mileage I think it's worth it to drop the head off at the local machine shop. Tell them the mileage and that you'd like to double it.

You're about the same place (in total miles and decision to be made...) that I got to with my 73 Satellite. Yours is more practical transportation, so where I gave mine away to a friend's son so they could have a father/son tinkering project, you might be more inclined to forge ahead until it just won't go anymore. Either way, it sure doesn't owe you anything!

Good luck.

And yes, this is my way of daring you to keep it going... you're not going to settle for a mere TIE with a 40-year-old Plymouth, are you? :p

Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Pop the head off and put in a new MLS gasket. Should take no more than 2 hours.

In a perfect world...

After fixing a broken exhaust stud or two and half dozen other things, plan on a couple days...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Originally Posted By: DemoFly
Pop the head off and put in a new MLS gasket. Should take no more than 2 hours.

In a perfect world...

After fixing a broken exhaust stud or two and half dozen other things, plan on a couple days...

that's the real reason I'm hesitant about pulling head---breaking intake or exhaust bolts that have been there since it was in the factory! I think I am gonna do a full tbelt job since I already have the parts (water pump and seals too), try a pour in treatment, replace oil pan gasket, and put up some money for a replacement f22 or h22 when this finally gives out and in the meantime, plastidip the whole thing. after that I'll probably be looking for a 5spd accord.

Originally Posted By: joel95ex

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/131-8th-generation-1998-2002/402362-diy-oil-consumption-fix.html

If you have any sentimental attachment to your cars like me then see if you can do what this guy did for his 1ZZ-FE engine.

Me & him used those same procedure on both my 1ZZ-FED & 2ZZ-GE with tremendous success, and this summer are performing the same process on the family 2AZ-FE, and maybe the D16Y7

As long as your car runs good enough, this can be performed if your competent enough.

It's only worth it if you do a DIY yourself or someone competent for a reasonable price as mechanic shop is a huge No-No cost wise.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: millerbl00
After 465k miles I would call it a day....

+1

I would have to agree, the car has fulfilled its lifespan.
If you want to dump a few cans in to see if you can eke 500K out of it, go ahead.
However, I would save any real cash for the replacement.

Bars leak tablets and let it eat. When and if the motor lets go, drop in a junkyard motor if you still want to drive it. That car doesn't owe you anything but I know what it's like to get attached to an old comfortable beater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back