Outstanding Used BMW Score

When doing your own maint/repairs, I've found the smaller displacement powered (like OP's) comparable in cost to a Civic/Corolla.
Only thing that was certainly more expensive was fuel (but that was dependent on how enthusiastically I was driving).
🤷‍♂️
If you do your own repairs and enjoy it great.
But I'm one that has a personal repair tech by the name of Mr. Plastic so it can get a bit rough.

Mercedes is probably the best of the 3 automakers, BMW tends to have weird electrical problems but Mercedes also has their share. You have tougher requires on BMW with their oil resets and battery coding but not as much with Mercedes. Plus they have EPC/WIS although those went, basically a parts lookup database and dealer repair manual, you could get a knock off copy on eBay for $10. They're on a new system now and it's more money and there's no knock off of it yet. And they're not bad if you can DIY or use the forums, I've owned a couple for 5-7 years and prices aren't that crazy. Yes things like brake parts tend to be more, rotors might be $100 instead of $50 but there is FCPEuro which gives you a lifetime warranty on all the parts they sell. They also do BMW.
Speaking of battery coding

FCP Euro is the place for BMW parts. Everything they sell comes with a lifetime guarantee.
Not only that, but for me, they're one state over so if I order it at night, they ship it in the morning and I get it the day after so it's almost like Prime. They always claim it will take 4-5 days but it's normally just 2 or 3.

Mercedes is probably the best of the 3 automakers, BMW tends to have weird electrical problems but Mercedes also has their share. You have tougher requires on BMW with their oil resets and battery coding but not as much with Mercedes. Plus they have EPC/WIS although those went, basically a parts lookup database and dealer repair manual, you could get a knock off copy on eBay for $10. They're on a new system now and it's more money and there's no knock off of it yet. And they're not bad if you can DIY or use the forums, I've owned a couple for 5-7 years and prices aren't that crazy. Yes things like brake parts tend to be more, rotors might be $100 instead of $50 but there is FCPEuro which gives you a lifetime warranty on all the parts they sell. They also do BMW.
I use www.realoem.com for part numbers and part interchangeability.

Yup and most of the parts they sell are OEM, which beats any of the junk you can get at Autozone. Working on the car is actually enjoyable when the parts fit correctly, and you don't need to replace them a year later.
They're good at listing the OE manufacturer and those parts are usually cheaper than the OEM labeled parts with their logo. Depends on the part, sometimes things like struts/shocks from Bilstein have a lifetime warranty anyway so I find it cheaper to get it at rockauto as opposed to FCPEuro. I guess it's good to get OEM parts from them because Mercedes only offers a 2 year warranty on all the parts they sell.

I had an e46 with the 3.0 liter engine. LOVED how it drove. Not a rocket ship, but zippy enough. Got rid of it due to the need for constant and expensive repairs. Way too much (poor-grade) plastic around that engine. It could have been outstanding.

As they say: "A cheap BMW is the most expensive car you'll own." And they are all cheap due to poor "value" engineering.

I had an e46 with the 3.0 liter engine. LOVED how it drove. Not a rocket ship, but zippy enough. Got rid of it due to the need for constant and expensive repairs. Way too much (poor-grade) plastic around that engine. It could have been outstanding.

As they say: "A cheap BMW is the most expensive car you'll own." And they are all cheap due to poor "value" engineering.
Just curious, what did you go to after your 330i?

Well...I think the key is being able to do many repairs yourself-and have a secondary vehicle. My son has a full size Ford Econo Van for "Van Life" and wanted something easier to drive around town and to get better than the 10mpg that his van gets. So-the BMW fits that bill. Parts haven't proven to be expensive yet-but if/when it breaks he can always jump in to the van.

The inline-six BMWs really aren't that bad. I maintain several for family/friends and own one that I used to commute 100 miles/day for a few years. The V8s and larger engines can be expensive. Something like an E39 or E46 can be fairly reliable, just keep in mind that with age they will need maintenance like any older car. I don't find parts to be that much more expensive, and the older ones aren't very hard to work on. There is a "BMW tax" you will pay when going to a shop which is why I say it's cheaper if you do your own work.

I can change my oil on the BMW faster than I can my Jeep 4.0L, and it costs me around $40. If I take it to a shop it won't be under $100. A dealer would be $120+. Don't even get me started on the price gouging for brakes/tires. There is a reason the dealership near me has bathrooms with marble floors.
Agree. I always thought it was funny how these euro makers sell far more low end versions of their cars elsewhere, but were able to restrict options and monetize peoples’ quest to feel fancy… and then rake them over the coals for service afterwards. With the marble floors and free donuts being some sort of prize.

...and fun to drive spectrum ;)
I have Pilot. It is in garage, driven at best 1000 miles a year when in-laws come. I drive it ONLY when no other option, meaning when they are not here for battery not to die.
Not only that it is actually not that reliable, but it is so uncomfortable after 100-150mls, that I will gladly take FIAT 500 instead of it.

Back