Outrageous Dealer Add-Ons and Fees - When Will They Learn?

IDK with Honda but Toyota (USA) is distributed through regional "middlemen" who do nothing but add these geegaws and jack up the price. Your leaving the region to shop around is the only way around these hucksters.

Thanks for doing what's right, and ignoring the bad apples.
I loathe SET/GST Toyota cars
Weird port installed options, odd trim levels/special editions
Worse, they find their way up to me in NYC, with screwy Audiovox alarm systems and fire prone add on heated seats
Camrys with carriage roofs and gold trim 🤮
A handover from when Toyota first set up shop in the US
I thank the good Lord I only have to get screwed over by the actual TMC US distributor
1709694999502.jpg

I walked away from a deal on a Ram pickup over a non-negotiable $995 'ceramic paint sealant' add-on, that was disclosed really late in the buying process.

If at a dealership, aren't those supposed to be put on the window sticker?

This thread reignited my sentiments from this weekend. Passed by a local Toyota dealership on Sunday to look at Corolla Cross's for my Mom. Glanced at the window sticker of a few Corollas and they all....ALL had a market up charge of $5K. Yes.....a Corolla LE was wearing a $5K markup charge as if it were a Corolla GR.
The C Cross had a $2500 markup.

Mom says she'll stick with her HR-V for a while longer.

You misquoted what I said, my friend.

I said, “a real sports car of a powertrain *for a minivan*”.

It is the best engine and transmission available currently, on a minivan, from a driver perspective.
I didn't misquote, I just didn't include that part to shorten the quote. And it is subjective I guess. Have you owned an Odyssey before? Even my wife tells me I was right and we should have gotten the Sienna over the Odyssey, just fyi. We've had 5 recalls performed in 3 years and are still waiting on parts for 2 more...including the fuel pump recall and the connecting rod bearing recall.

I didn't misquote, I just didn't include that part to shorten the quote. And it is subjective I guess. Have you owned an Odyssey before? Even my wife tells me I was right and we should have gotten the Sienna over the Odyssey, just fyi. We've had 5 recalls performed in 3 years and are still waiting on parts for 2 more...including the fuel pump recall and the connecting rod bearing recall.
One of the big reasons we got a 4Runner was reliability. And the fact that I’m familiar with the maintenance from having a Tacoma.

I recognize that going to an Odyssey will likely be a step or 2 in the wrong direction, reliability and maintenance-wise.

But I’ve decided that the compromise is worth it.

It’s my belief that, long-term, the maintenance on a hybrid will cost more. But that’s actually not the main reason we decided on an Odyssey. We just prefer a traditional V6/auto powertrain.

Sorry yours falls within the years of the rod bearing problem. Has yours had symptoms?

Do you have the 9 or the 10-speed?

Last edited:
I'm assuming when you were shopping the Sienna still had the 2GR, so more of a direct comparison vs now with the new powertrain.

If the 2GR was still available in the Sienna, I’d definitely be considering it.
After owning both I'd take the J35. It's smoother, sounds better, and seems more torquey in the lower RPMs than the Toyota was. Could have been tuning differences but I also had a 3MZ, the 2GR's predecessor, and it was better on the low end like the Honda. I can't comment to efficiency as my 2GR was just port injected vs DI for the J35. In your shoes, the Hybrid 4 being the only option would take me out of the running for the new Sienna too.

I'm assuming when you were shopping the Sienna still had the 2GR, so more of a direct comparison vs now with the new powertrain.
Incorrekt. We were looking at the 1st year design with the hybrid. First and only time I'd probably look at a 1st year redesign.

One of the big reasons we got a 4Runner was reliability. And the fact that I’m familiar with the maintenance from having a Tacoma.

I recognize that going to an Odyssey will likely be a step or 2 in the wrong direction, reliability and maintenance-wise.

But I’ve decided that the compromise is worth it.

It’s my belief that, long-term, the maintenance on a hybrid will cost more. But that’s actually not the main reason we decided on an Odyssey. We just prefer a traditional V6/auto powertrain.

Sorry yours falls within the years of the rod bearing problem. Has yours had symptoms?

Do you have the 9 or the 10-speed?

That combined with TB/wp change every 75-100k as well.

We have the 10 speed. I told the wife if we were getting an Odyssey, it wasn't going to be 1st year redesign nor the crappy 9 speed trans. Thankfully we haven't had symptoms yet towards the recall but anything could happen, yanno?

If the 2GR was still available in the Sienna, I’d definitely be considering it.

In-laws have a 2019 Sienna with the -FKS. It's pretty decent but the interior reminds me of a 1998 Chevy truck....it's pretty bad. Granted, theirs is base model af with like no options whatsoever as it was a Hertz rental the FIL bought it from for cheap but still. It took us to Dirty Myrty, SC on a family vacation and back from KS just fine. As well as to Nawlins and Memphis on trips.

I loathe SET/GST Toyota cars
Weird port installed options, odd trim levels/special editions
Worse, they find their way up to me in NYC, with screwy Audiovox alarm systems and fire prone add on heated seats
Camrys with carriage roofs and gold trim 🤮
A handover from when Toyota first set up shop in the US
I thank the good Lord I only have to get screwed over by the actual TMC US distributor
View attachment 206866
Toyota corporate isn’t great in the other places either. The Lexington, KY Toyota dealer is about 30 minutes away from the Georgetown factory where the Camry is made, but there’s still a $1,090 delivery fee on the sticker.

The 1st and 4th were definitely not planned but I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Also Jeep buggy, gotta keep the Mopar theme strong!View attachment 206867
Came across a sweet sleeper Mopar station wagon earlier today that has plenty of room for your Wife, four kids, and you. And this baby is rust free, and has no dealer add ons to have to pay. Just a little wash, wax, and chrome polish. Cruise the family with class and style.

ply wagon.jpg

Back