Outer Tie Rod Jam Nut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how a mechanic can use a torque wrench on this specific jam nut which is located at the end of the outer tie rod on the steering rack. I'm not talking about the castle nut with the cotter pin on the end part, it's the nut around the shaft of the steering rack that positions the end ball joint.

How on earth can I get a specific torque on that. Do they even make crowfoots that big? The thing is huge.

I seriously doubt anyone actually puts a torque wrench on it.

Just make it tight.

Yep, tighten it up.

Guarenteed that very few mechanics would take the time to torque that nut.

There is virtually no strain on that nut anyway. Once the tie rod is in place in the hub, it cant twist at all. If the nut is snug, it shouldnt ever back off.

Usually its the opposite problem, and theyre tough to get off!

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: ryan2022

Usually its the opposite problem, and theyre tough to get off!

Good luck.

+1
I was getting ready to reply on how to get them loose... Propane torch and a few wacks with a deadblow hammer on the wrench. I tighten them well but keeping in mind I'll want to loosen them in the future.

If you have it loose now put some antisieze under its threads. Ask me how I know.

In theory if it's not snug your tie rod could eventually back out of either its inner or outer TRE, whichever has fewer threads. But your alignment would be way wonky and you'd notice first.

This reminds me of the Banditos addressing Humphrey Bogart:
"Torque wrenches? We don't have no torque wrenches! We don't need no stinking torque wrenches!"

Just tighten her up medium to medium hard. After wards, don't forget to center the joint when the car is on the ground by twisting the whole rod.
And if you are doing your alignment, don't tighten it real tight until the end. Just snug it up for your testing. Drive the car between resets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back