Out with the old, in with the new!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
They look like ContiSportContacts to me.

Those are Conti Sport Contacts. I need new shoes soon. The next set will be Japanese.

Originally Posted By: lpcmidst128
Wow 9.99/liter of Lubro Moly and must have been hard to find as well.

I bought it at the NAPA on El Camino Real in Daly City where you saw the LM last year!

Quote:
I always wondered what the small letter "e" right after the liters designated.

It designates a European, metric measurement.

Quote:
According to the bottle it looks like it will provide outstanding/excellent resistance to ageing as well as deposit protection. Did you block the rear wheels for safety?

Handbrake plus wheel chocks.

Quote:
Are those driving gloves in the last picture?

No, they are inexpensive but very comfortable deerskin working gloves. The brand is Lamont Wells. You can find them sometimes at OSH.

Quote:
I like the red lcd for the odometer/trip meter, much easier to read day and night. Its setup is just like the VW (odometer top and trip on bottom). Also noticed the analog clock as well.

All digits have red backlight at night, which preserves night vision and results in a crisp readout. I'd never get a VW because they use blue/purple, which looks always fuzzy to the human eye.

Right side of gauge cluster at night:
gauge2_0587.jpg

Center console at night. The two backlit LCD displaysappear in reality black and not light grey. Everything that looks pink (due to overexposure) in the picture is the same deep red in reality:
center_console.jpg

Quote:
Long live the 2.8L 12 valve V6.

Simplicity rules.

I'm confused; why is "Made in Germany" German oil made in Hungary? (or as my coworker put it, Hungaria.)

What happened to the Brie, Champagne and Frankfurt rules?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I'm confused; why is "Made in Germany" German oil made in Hungary?

The engine was made in Hungary.

205/55/16. The Yokohama S.drive are at the top of my list. It's a best value choice.

Originally Posted By: drivewaytech
Are you in a parking deck area or is that your garage? Very clean and empty. Your Audi looks marvelous to have 180K miles.

+1

While a garage seems to help keep cars looking nice for a longer time, owner care makes a big difference.

I noted that you mentioned a once-a-year cleaning, but have you ever broken down the process you use? Also, any favorite products, inside or out?

Paint:
- 'Clay Magic' clay bar
- Menzerna Final Polish II
- Klasse All In One
- Klasse Sealant Glaze

- KAIO for touching up

Inside:
- damp cloth on plastic surfaces

Door rubber gaskets:
- stag tallow 2x per year

Plastic parts:
- 3o3 Aero on some parts

Glass:
- Windex & newsprint

Engine compartment (painted surfaces):
- Sonax Special Preserver Wax spray

Good one. Yokohama's are the best value tires on the market bar none. I have dB decibel V550 on my BMW which I selected as a UHP tire with very low noise. They are available in the size you require. If you want low noise tires that handle and last check them out. I also have Yoko C-drives on the Mazda and Outback.

Noise is not an issue. I've tried out an A4 with S-drive tires and they were pretty much performing like my Sport Contacts, but the Yokos cost quite a bit less. Unless the Yokos wear faster than the Contis, I'll be happy with them. I'm lucky if I get 15k miles out of a set of tires. I blame my lead foot and my penchant for high speed curve driving.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
Paint:
- 'Clay Magic' clay bar
- Menzerna Final Polish II
- Klasse All In One
- Klasse Sealant Glaze

- KAIO for touching up

Inside:
- damp cloth on plastic surfaces

Door rubber gaskets:
- stag tallow 2x per year

Plastic parts:
- 3o3 Aero on some parts

Glass:
- Windex & newsprint

Engine compartment (painted surfaces):
- Sonax Special Preserver Wax spray

Is Stag Tallow better than silicone oil or krytox grease? Can you get it in the US?

What is "special" about the sonax wax? Any US equivalent?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Is Stag Tallow better than silicone oil or krytox grease? Can you get it in the US?

I don't want sticky stuff on the door gaskets. Stag tallow leaves a non-sticky, waxy film behind. I have never seen stag tallow in the US. A stick lasts years.

stag/deer tallow rubber conditioner

Quote:
What is "special" about the sonax wax? Any US equivalent?

I have not seen any comparable product that leaves a thick wax layer behind. It goes on thick like Cosmolene. Sonax is available in the US.

Well, my agent in Munich ships what I need. I'm pretty sure I've seen Sonax products at M-B dealerships in the US.

Ill have to look. There are other waxy coatings that go on semi-soft, and leave a coating. Often they are called rust proofing compounds and sold at places like Eastwood for just that.

Ill have to do some more research.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ill have to look. There are other waxy coatings that go on semi-soft, and leave a coating. Often they are called rust proofing compounds and sold at places like Eastwood for just that.

Ill have to do some more research.

The Sonax dries to a very hard finish, unlike Cosmolene, remains soft and which may start dripping at underhood temps. The Sonax spray goes on as thick as does Cosmolene, but it is more similar to the type wax you would use to seal the hollow spaces in a chassis. I spray this wax also on the inside bottom edge of all doors, because those areas are breeding grounds for rust -- not that rust is a real issue with galvanized steel, but some folded parts may be just glued and spot-welded. Better safe than sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back