Out with the old in with the new. 2019 VW Jetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SJUMBA
I love the looks, value and features of the Jetta, but VW reliability...

...Is perfectly acceptable, and new VWs now come with a 6yr, 72,000 mile warranty.

I love the looks, value and features of the Jetta, but VW reliability...………..

I was expecting my wife's 2018 Tiguan to be terrible and many dealers visits. After 20k not a single rattle or issue just recalls/updates at 10k and 20k service. Flawless for us but a short time I know.

The car we wanted called the 2018 Atlas does have subpar reliability according to consumer reports though its first year. The 2018 Tiguan is average according to Consumer Reports and recommended SUV now. Oddly the CRV I thought she would buy but refused and did not like the 2018 Honda CRV also has average reliability according to Consumer Reports.

so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
I love the looks, value and features of the Jetta, but VW reliability...………..

I was expecting my wife's 2018 Tiguan to be terrible and many dealers visits. After 20k not a single rattle or issue just recalls/updates at 10k and 20k service. Flawless for us but a short time I know.

The car we wanted called the 2018 Atlas does have subpar reliability according to consumer reports though its first year. The 2018 Tiguan is average according to Consumer Reports and recommended SUV now. Oddly the CRV I thought she would buy but refused and did not like the 2018 Honda CRV also has average reliability according to Consumer Reports.

so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I have 2011 Tiguan, 75K, no major issues. Only issue was ventilation relay which is uber cheap and not hard to replace.
I did changed chain tensioner as a precaution, but that affects only 2.0T until mid 2012.
Atlas is brought to the market too fast. They needed a major hit to address drop in sale after dieselgate. I was thinking it before I got Sienna. Although it has by far best sounding engine in segment, power is nowhere to be found. Actually my Sienna feels much more potent than Atlas. It drives better than other SUV's in segment, but they rushed it too fast to the market.

Last edited:
Nice looking car...It will be interesting to see the new GLI release in the coming weeks. I grabbed a white 2016 Jetta GLI SEL-manual in October with 19,000 miles as a potential car my daughter might inherit when she gets her license in three years. Paid $18,000 plus tax and it is in really good shape other than more than normal stonechips on front bumper and hood. I disconnected the soundaktor and tinted the windows and it is my daily for the next few years. I am happy with how fun it is to drive and it feels very similar to how my old 2012 manual GTI drove. First time in awhile my daily doesn't have a bumper to bumper warranty, but have the powertrain for two years so hopefully it won't have too many issues.

What kind of Oil should I use for my 2019 VW JETTA SEL? It has 19,500 miles! I dont want to use 0W-20, is there other oil spec I can use?!

Originally Posted by GNH82
What kind of Oil should I use for my 2019 VW JETTA SEL? It has 19,500 miles! I dont want to use 0W-20, is there other oil spec I can use?!

IMO you should start a thread in this sub-forum and you'll get better responses.

Unfortunately I can't comment... other than I didn't think VW bought into the thin oils. IMO you'll be fine with a thicker oil, like a 5W30 in your climate, as long as it meets whatever VW spec is required. Oil is thick when cold but the motor has to run from -40C to past 100C and the oil viscosity is all over the map between those extremes, so jumping a grade isn't death.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by GNH82

IMO you should start a thread in this sub-forum and you'll get better responses.

Agree.

Originally Posted by supton
Unfortunately I can't comment... other than I didn't think VW bought into the thin oils. IMO you'll be fine with a thicker oil, like a 5W30 in your climate, as long as it meets whatever VW spec is required. Oil is thick when cold but the motor has to run from -40C to past 100C and the oil viscosity is all over the map between those extremes, so jumping a grade isn't death.

The only permissible spec is 508. 508 is 0/20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back