Out with the old in with the new. 2019 VW Jetta

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking in to buying a 2019 VW Jetta S 6-speed. Haven't decided on a color, yet, but I like the Habanero Orange. It has the cream-colored interior which looks attractive to me. As for the preventive maintenance, I may take my Jetta to the closest dealer to me, which is 70 miles from me, to do even simple things like oil changes. That is to make sure the correct oil filter is used, oil type, etc. If you look at car maintenance in general, oil changes are automotive maintenance 101.

Of course, I'll check out their prices first. I mean, if they want $65 to do a simple oil change, I might go somewhere else. As edyvw states "Just use Castrol 0W40. $24 for 5qt in Wal Mart." If that translates correctly to the 2019 VW Jetta Owner's Manual, I'll buy the oil at Wal*mart and have Martin Tire here in Alamogordo put it in. They're good at mechanical work and they're honest. I know, I've tested them and they won my trust. Namely, they only do what your car needs. Period.

How are y'all enjoying your 2019 VW Jetta's out there? Nice ride - smooth and comfortable ride?

Originally Posted by 19VWJettaS6speed
Of course, I'll check out their prices first. I mean, if they want $65 to do a simple oil change, I might go somewhere else. As edyvw states "Just use Castrol 0W40. $24 for 5qt in Wal Mart." If that translates correctly to the 2019 VW Jetta Owner's Manual, I'll buy the oil at Wal*mart and have Martin Tire here in Alamogordo put it in. They're good at mechanical work and they're honest. I know, I've tested them and they won my trust. Namely, they only do what your car needs. Period.

Not a Jetta, but the VW dealer charges $90 for an oil change on my 17' GTI. Not sure if the Jetta 1.4 uses one less quart... Its super easy to change the oil on these cars, For the first change at 5k I did the "old fashioned" method of pulling the drain plug. But for every change I do at 5k I just use a fluid extractor. And the filter is on top. I still go to the dealer every 10k for changes so there is no question if a warranty issue comes up.

I am looking in to buying a 2019 VW Jetta S 6-speed. Haven't decided on a color, yet, but I like the Habanero Orange. It has the cream-colored interior which looks attractive to me. As for the preventive maintenance, I may take my Jetta to the closest dealer to me, which is 70 miles from me, to do even simple things like oil changes. That is to make sure the correct oil filter is used, oil type, etc. If you look at car maintenance in general, oil changes are automotive maintenance 101.

How are y'all enjoying your 2019 VW Jetta's out there? Nice ride - smooth and comfortable ride?

If you know how to change furnace filter in the house, you can DIY in Jetta.

Last edited:
By the time you buy oil and filter, you're already up to about $35. How much is this shop going to charge you for labor and old fluid disposal? It probably won't be a whole lot less than what you'd have paid at a VW dealer.

Most of the quickie lube places and "generic" tire shops tend to get tripped up by German cars for some reason... they either can't figure out how to remove the underbelly shield and break fasteners or drain your trans fluid instead of oil by mistake. Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving them a German car just to save a few bucks, unless you know for sure they have lots of experience with them and the kid that's going to do the work didn't just start yesterday.

Originally Posted by CincyDavid
I take ALL of my cars except the VW to my local tire store...he does a $49 synthetic LOF deal, and I'm good with all of the others. With the VW, I'm nervous about the warranty and want to build a paper trail at the dealer.

Same warranty restrictions for your KIA, JEEP and Honda apply to VW too. As long as shop uses approved oil, or YOU, per law, VW cannot deny warranty.
It is just this mumbo-jumbo talk how European cars are complicated, unreliable etc. and of course warranty comes to mind to people after that talk.

Sounds like I might just do my Jetta's oil change myself. It is the first thing Dad taught me how ta do on his cars. The '66 VW Fastback I learned to drive stick on was great - I'll never forget it. I trust VW is going to build my '19 Jetta S 6-speed ta spec and with accuracy. Can't wait to test drive it. Thanks for all of your responses!

Sounds like I might just do my Jetta's oil change myself. It is the first thing Dad taught me how ta do on his cars. The '66 VW Fastback I learned to drive stick on was great - I'll never forget it. I trust VW is going to build my '19 Jetta S 6-speed ta spec and with accuracy. Can't wait to test drive it. Thanks for all of your responses!

Man than you are overthinking this. Changing oil on my Tiguan is a breeze compared to this POS Sienna I have.
Go to dealership get OEM oil filter, get oil, get case of beer and go for it. Just put oil in engine instead of beer
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by CincyDavid
I take ALL of my cars except the VW to my local tire store...he does a $49 synthetic LOF deal, and I'm good with all of the others. With the VW, I'm nervous about the warranty and want to build a paper trail at the dealer.

Same warranty restrictions for your KIA, JEEP and Honda apply to VW too. As long as shop uses approved oil, or YOU, per law, VW cannot deny warranty.
It is just this mumbo-jumbo talk how European cars are complicated, unreliable etc. and of course warranty comes to mind to people after that talk.

My issue is twofold:
1. None of the other cars are under warranty
2. the tire store only generates a REALLY generic invoice that doesn't even specify what grade of oil or brand, simply says "lube oil filter" on the subject line. Great guy, great pricing but not a whole lot of info on the invoice. At least quick lube places include more information.

Nah, I'm not overthinking this - I'm happy to talk about anything 2019 VW Jetta S - related, actually. If anyone wants to watch a good YouTube video on the new Jetta I invite you to check this out:

Last edited:
I am thinking about color choices this morning. Here's a '19 VW Jetta in Tornado Red.

[Linked Image]

That's a nice, deep red that this Seattleite could really sink his teeth in to.

Last edited:
I was surprised how big Jettas are now, about as big as Passats of 20 years ago.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Hmm, I guess Nick has not updated this thread. I will let him break the news.

35.gif

Originally Posted by The Critic
Hmm, I guess Nick has not updated this thread. I will let him break the news.
Hmm, a teaser post. I wonder if the Vikas post was prophetic in some way.

35.gif

Thinking about picking up one soon. Probably a S trim with manual trans. Ever since the MK6 VW went full econo on the Jetta. I believe the jettas before 2011 were considered a "premium" compact. There's also less performance mods. I want something I can tune and thrash around on the weekends. The mk7 Jetta is a US only model, they dropped it for foreign markets due to low sales for sedans. Will probably see slower aftermarket development.

The only thing that keeps me away from them is the fact that they're made in Mexico. My Nissan nv200 left a bad taste for Mexican build quality. Also the 1.4t seems like an engine designed around economy with little performance ability.

The 1.4 is an impressive engine design. It's the recent transmissions that are so poorly geared for fuel economy the cars are annoying to drive, if you get the manual you mentioned not an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back