OUT: Mazda CX-5, IN: Volvo XC-40 electric car

Toyota and Tesla co-developed the RAV4 EV from a few years ago. My next door neighbor had one.
It is probably one of my former coworker. I think for the price back then it was a great deal. Of course we have made a lot of progress now and there are better deals and better vehicles for the price.

That turned out to be a bust of sorts. Only sold in California and it had short range.

They are sticking with the family it seems. Subaru and Suzuki are partners in their latest collaboration.

I have a soft spot for Volvos (out of my price range new though) so I looked online at the electric XC40 and dang is it impressive. 4.7 seconds 0-60, could you imagine getting smoked from a stoplight by the small Volvo cute ute? :ROFLMAO:

I might have to take a look at these when they start coming off lease and see what kinda used prices they are fetching. 2-4 years is a good timeline for boredom to start setting in with my E-Golf.

My brother just took the new XC 40 Recharge home. Driving it was a blast.
Where to start?
It couldn't've been more comfortable.
Among other settings you can select between 2 pedal and one pedal operation. The "automatic braking" which occurs during one pedal driving was real easy to get used to.

We performed one experiment.
I got the car to 16 mph and eased off on the "gas" -keeping it at 16- and bro observed the brake lights NOT coming on.
I did it again slowing to 15 and 14 and the lights did come on.

At one point I approached a stop sign and instinctively stepped on the brake pedal. I detected no difference. I don't know if Volvo keeps the brake pedal working in "one pedal operation" or if relieving the gas pedal caused my deceleration.
...more experiments to come.

My brother just took the new XC 40 Recharge home. Driving it was a blast.
Where to start?
It couldn't've been more comfortable.
Among other settings you can select between 2 pedal and one pedal operation. The "automatic braking" which occurs during one pedal driving was real easy to get used to.

We performed one experiment.
I got the car to 16 mph and eased off on the "gas" -keeping it at 16- and bro observed the brake lights NOT coming on.
I did it again slowing to 15 and 14 and the lights did come on.

At one point I approached a stop sign and instinctively stepped on the brake pedal. I detected no difference. I don't know if Volvo keeps the brake pedal working in "one pedal operation" or if relieving the gas pedal caused my deceleration.
...more experiments to come.
Enjoy your beautiful Volvo! One pedal driving, baby!

You are reading old News.
Check out IIHS, you'll see a list of other comparable SUV's from Subaru, Nissan etc. all with the same rating.
https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks/2021/small-suvs#award-winners

For Volvo to be competitive they need to be more innovative.
Now their marketing campaign is based on regurgitating the old safety aspects which made them famous in the 1900's.
I’m not sure about nowadays, but used to Volvo actually sent folks to study wrecks with volvos. In addition to their own in-lab crash studies, they looked at where they were weak in real-world performance and worked those weaknesses into their improvements. So, Volvo was not only designing vehicles to meet the canned safety tests in the lab but also real-world, on-road wrecks. That’s pretty impressive to me because its not just gaming the known lab tests but going beyond. ive no idea if they still do this, but talking with first responders, they still talk about Volvo drivers walking away from wrecks where others wouldn’t.

Back