Ouch my eye! (Not for the squeamish)

I had a little mishap on the job. I will not talk about what happened in more detail than I provide here. Someone thought I'd look better with one eye and poked me in the right eye with a sharp implement. It was a glancing blow. He'll be doing all his poking in the pokey for a good while. There was a fair amount of damage to the sclera. Vision was not effected other than by swollen eyelids. I needed a few grafts to have the damage repaired. Donor cornea from a hapless corpse and some scleral tissue from my other eye was used to cover the debrided scleral tissue that was destroyed. It was a two-hour surgery. Got poked 6 days ago, had surgery 5 days ago. First picture right after getting poked before the eye was completely swollen shut. Second picture shows donor site, left eye, yesterday. The very white looking area is where scleral tissue was harvested. The third image is also from yesterday and shows mostly the repaired area, which looks all pinkish and gnarly. You can see the white scleral tissue I donated to myself directly next to my iris in vertical orientation. A couple millimeters more towards the cornea and I'd be retired now. I'm not allowed to go surfing for a month. Otherwise I'd already be in Costa Rica.

Man, hope you're feeling better. Doctors are highly specialized when it comes to the eye. Maybe a little warning, though. Those are some large pictures of an injured eye. Did you take them or the Dr?

How is your vision now?

Holy moly, thank goodness it was repairable! I hope you have a speedy recovery and get back to surfing in no time.

Man, hope you're feeling better. Doctors are highly specialized when it comes to the eye. Maybe a little warning, though. Those are some large pictures of an injured eye. Did you take them or the Dr?

How is your vision now?
I feel fresh like a daisy. I took the pictures with my phone. I didn't do so good with the first one. I was a tad shaky. My vision is great. The main risk were infection and necrosis. A necrotic eye would not be good.

Last edited:
I forgot to mention, in the second image you can see the medicated contact lens they put in my eye. It's still in there.

Man, I can watch the MOST GRUESOME horror movies in the world. Heads decapitated, bodies cut into pieces,........you get the idea. But, when it comes to seeing another person getting some kind of medical procedure done, I start getting a very weird feeling in my amputated leg, arm, left side of my torso, and finger. And, consider ALL of them buzzing right now after looking at those pics! Ever since I was shot (twice), lost my leg, and a trailer hitch went into my side, real time stuff like your eye makes my body feel weird.
On the bright side, I'm very glad that you were able to get the procedure done. Good luck and a speedy recovery! ;) 🙏

Last edited:
I had a little mishap on the job. I will not talk about what happened in more detail than I provide here. Someone thought I'd look better with one eye and poked me in the right eye with a sharp implement. It was a glancing blow. He'll be doing all his poking in the pokey for a good while. There was a fair amount of damage to the sclera. Vision was not effected other than by swollen eyelids. I needed a few grafts to have the damage repaired. Donor cornea from a hapless corpse and some scleral tissue from my other eye was used to cover the debrided scleral tissue that was destroyed. It was a two-hour surgery. Got poked 6 days ago, had surgery 5 days ago. First picture right after getting poked before the eye was completely swollen shut. Second picture shows donor site, left eye, yesterday. The very white looking area is where scleral tissue was harvested. The third image is also from yesterday and shows mostly the repaired area, which looks all pinkish and gnarly. You can see the white scleral tissue I donated to myself directly next to my iris in vertical orientation. A couple millimeters more towards the cornea and I'd be retired now. I'm not allowed to go surfing for a month. Otherwise I'd already be in Costa Rica.

DELETED

Dayamn! Glad you can see. Perp should get life in prison.

A wonderful miracle your vision was saved.

I've taken to wearing protective glasses more often when doing almost anything where eye injury is possible. Scary stuff.

You are very lucky. I took a friend to an emergency eye doctor once. He had a wire out of a wire wheel stuck into his eye. He was lucky too in the end. I always have some kind of eye protection on. My normal glasses are polycarbonate lenses.

Speedy recovery man.. my friend is an elevator mechanic his 1st few yrs on the job he had a mishap and almost lost his eye. Take care of those peepers pal 👀😵🥽

Back