Honda air filter not the best for my CRV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Honda dealer had changed the filthy engine air filter that originally came with the car when it was at only 14,000 miles. Today I inspected that 2nd filter (now at 10,600 miles). It was definitely quite dirty already, but what caught my attention was a very very thin, very fine white dust in the upper part of the filter housing (downstream of the filter). I thought going OEM on air and oil filters was best but now I'm not so sure.

Are you positive it's an OEM AF? I ask because even dealers have been known to use aftermarket filters. The Honda OEM AF I've used on Accord have been well made, very lighty oiled.

Most late model OEM Honda air filters are lightly-oiled. Some of them are even yellow on one side and green on the other.

The Honda OEM filter is good. My second choice would be Wix.

The OEM Honda filters are a thicker gauze/cotton/paper type of media versus paper.

Take a pic, wonder if the Dealer indeed did install an aftermarket filter.

Goes this dealer change your oil and if so what filter do they use? A lot of dealers use cheaper jobber filters no matter the application.

Your describing an aftermarket air filter. I agree with Redhat. I've seen OEM's use aftermarket parts on vehicles. Japanese filters are normally very good. I stick with Ford Motorcraft. Thanks for postings.

It's a genuine Honda air filter, guys. Yellowish media, lightly oiled, and embossed with "HONDA" on the plastic lip near the filter medium. And yes, it was seated correctly. There are only 2 front clips to unfasten to free the top of the filter housing. You then raise the front and the top opens like a trapdoor (appears to behave like it is hinged at the back part). Grab the front of the filter to slide it out from the trapdoor opening, and slip in the new filter. Lower the top of the housing, fasten the 2 clips, and you're done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back