OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had great results replacing my factory dim headlight bulbs with Osram Night Breaker Unlimited Bulbs.

I've bought silverstars and other bulbs before and haven't been happy with them.

The application is a 2010 Rav4, and it takes one pair of 9006 bulbs, and one pair of 9005 bulbs for DRL/High Beam duty.

Apparantly these bulbs are for the european market.

ebay link

The light output is very good, white with a little hint of blue. Nothing stupid looking or distracting to other drivers.

Wattage is same as stock. I didn't want to upgrade to HIR bulbs, and I didn't want to go above stock wattage either.

Drove to Dallas last weekend, my trip included some dark country roads. The high beams are insanely bright. Safety is much improved.

Last edited:
JustinH is correct -- the DOT does not approve anything. The DOT sets the requirements and bulb and headlamp manufacturers self-certify that they adhere to those requirements. In fact, "DOT approval" is a pretty consistent claim on illegal HID retrofit kits. First, DOT doesn't approve anything. Second, if those kits actually were subjected to the photometric testing, they'd fail anyway.

This is similar to how the EPA sets the fuel economy measurement protocols for vehicle manufacturers to follow. Sometimes, a vehicle manufacturer gets caught. Likewise, the DOT sometimes will come across a product that does not meet the requirements, and they will enforce action (examples of this are on the internet). They don't go out seeking those products, though. They just aren't resourced to do that.

Vikas, in this case, the blue ring is just at the base of the bulb. Look closely at the photos from the auction. This is actually a good thing. See, bulb output is measured in an integrating sphere, and the total output of the bulb is what is regulated. Bulbs such as these are so over-driven that they'd exceed the maximum allowable output if they were completely uncoated. So manufacturers have gotten clever, and will paint blue rings around some parts of the bulb to reduce the total output just enough to keep it legal. But the part of the lamp reflector that matters still receives the full intensity of the uncoated portions of the glass envelope.

I do agree, however, that HIR is a more desirable solution, here. This bulb is a notable upgrade over a standard HB4 (9006), but an HIR2 (9012) would offer FAR more output for the same wattage (and longer life as well). I think it's somewhat of a shame that lamps are generally moving away from the older HB3/HB4 (9005/9006) and into bulbs like the H11, because the HIR bulbs are, by a long shot, the best improvement one can make, and they only fit those HB3 and HB4 slots (with the required tab trim).

I will be replacing the 9006 bulbs in my wife's Toyota Matrix soon.

What brand do you all recommend for 9012 bulbs?

She will be doing country driving, and it is dark when she gets home.

Her car does not have fog lights.

I assume I want a set made in Germany?

Last edited:
Yeah the only HIR 9012 in production AFAIK are the Phillips unless you get knockoffs. Also FYI Phillips seems to be selling less than perfect bulbs under the Wagner label, where the filament precision is off some.

I was pleased to note Autozone finally started carry 9011/9012 bulbs recently

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I will be replacing the 9006 bulbs in my wife's Toyota Matrix soon.

What brand do you all recommend for 9012 bulbs?

She will be doing country driving, and it is dark when she gets home.

Her car does not have fog lights.

I assume I want a set made in Germany?

The Philips 9012 you buy on Amazon are the LL version of the bulbs, they last an insane amount of time. If you want something a bit brighter and whiter, at the expensive of bulb life, go with go with VOSLA HIR bulbs +30 (made in Germany), with AC Delco part number 23342527. Wherever you get your bulbs, make sure it is a reputable seller, there seems to be a market for counterfeit bulbs. You can get the VOSLA bulbs at a GM dealer or through the GM parts website. As mentioned above you will have to trim down a tab to make it fit. Removing the yellow haze these headlights like to accumulate will help with output too.

Thanks for the tip on the Vosla / GM 9012.
I might try them in my Bimmer fogs (they have a nice cut off and is set low, so I think it will be safe).

I can get it frm GM Parts Direct or ebay:
Think this is legit?
bulb

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Thanks for the tip on the Vosla / GM 9012.
I might try them in my Bimmer fogs (they have a nice cut off and is set low, so I think it will be safe).

I can get it frm GM Parts Direct or ebay:
Think this is legit?
bulb

Those look legit, but that seller is also selling bulbs under the same Manufacturer part number in a different listing, but those are made in China, which is far as I know, are not the true Volsa bulbs. I think that the other listing is incorrect, the picture and PN are incorrect. The GM parts site has them for pretty cheap, but the shipping is slow and quite expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back