Upgrade H4 and H1 Bulbs...no blue tint, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I scored a set of NOS Cibie E-Code/DOT sealed beam conversions (6x4 rectangular) and I'd like to install some H4 and H1 bulbs that would throw a bit more light onto the road than the off-the-shelf bulbs that are offered through regular auto parts stores.

I'm thinking any +50% to +90% bulbs from Osram (not Sylvania US), Philips or Hella?

What do you all recommend, preferably without blue tinted capsules. I'm not interested in how white the light looks; I'm more interested in the actual light on the road. High wattage isn't much of a concern as I've already upgraded the stock headlight wiring with larger gauge wires and relays.

I don't want to go HID. Real projectors are out of the question.

Osram Nightbreaker have a blue tint on them (except for the area over the filament).
Philips Xtreme Vision (Power) have a tiny blue band by the tip only.

Osram Silverstar have no tint
Euro Philips VisionPlus have do have a tiny tint band by the tip...

so.. I'd get Xtreme Vision H4 & H1

try www.powerbulbs.co.uk never had issues ordering from them

I have Philips Xtreme Vision H4s in our CR-V and they're fantastic bulbs. There's a huge difference in brightness compared even with Sylvania Xtra Vision.

I had good light in my old S10 Blazer with Sylvania Silver Star. The light was a pure white and not blue/violet.

In my opinion, it was something of an improvement over OEM lamps, but I did have to re-aim the headlight assemblies because they hit the reflectors at a different angle that the originals for some reason...I had to aim them considerably downward to keep the light cut-off line where it was supposed to be, but I thought the lighting output was a nice improvement because it was bright and even without bright and dim areas. Almost like a big fluorescent light.

Pretty sure I have +30 osram or hella in my e-codes on my 91 BMW and they have lasted a long time and put out good light.

Only thing you have to worry about is overheating and frying your lens and its electrical wiring. Hella's run hot, be careful.

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
What's the bulb life on the extra bright bulbs like?

It'll be shorter than a normal life bulb. The filaments are generally smaller, which to my understanding delivers a brighter burn, a better approximation of a point source in the housing (for optics), and also a reduced life.

They generally don't even sell long life versions of bulbs anymore (like a 9006LL), but they used to...and the filaments on those were huge. They weren't as bright as normal bulbs, but they did last forever.

You might consider the Sylvania XtraVision line. Pretty cheap, widely available and rated +20 or +30. A lot of positive reports on that option, and Philips XtraVision too. Neither has the blue tint, and the Sylvania has produced longevity as long as stock, in my application (Honda Civic 9003s).

I'd get a bulb from Philips. I've tried the various Sylvania offerings over the years in different cars. The Philips bulbs seem to be brighter and longer lasting than any Sylvania bulb.

My beef with Sylvania XtraVisions is they tend to "spotlight", with very little light off to the side. Great for a straight road and for high beams, awful for twisty roads or low beams. The Philips bulbs have throw light just as far, and thrown more light out to the sides of the road. Kinda important for critter-spotting, or seeing around the next corner.

All, thanks a lot for your recommendations.

I was rummaging around in the garage and I found some Japanese packaged Philips Vision Plus bulbs (H4's and H1's). I don't even recall having purchased them.
21.gif

The H4's have the narrow blue band right behind the glare shield. The H1's have blued tips.

I guess I'll just run these for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back