Halogen H4 / H1 Dim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a four lamp system car, 5.75" lamps. I am running European E-Code Cibie domed lens headlamps with 60/55 H4's (hi/lo) and 55 H1 (hi) bulbs. The lenses are reasonably new (every few years they take a rock and I replace them in pairs), certainly no clouding / pitting etc. System voltage is fine at the lights, 13.8v and all grounds are good. The bulbs are probably pretty old 5-7 years... high beam H1's probably a decade. Friday night I was coming home late, it was the first time I had been out in the country at night in a very long time, usually I am 100% in the city with this car and I felt the lighting was very poor on the low beams only. In fact, I had to cut my MPH down because I was over-running the lights which wasn't something I felt the car had done before. High was fine but with oncoming traffic I couldn't run them solid. Certainly it couldn't hold a candle to my 2006 GMC with factory lighting, the vehicle I am usually in on country roads at night. I put this H4/H1 Cibie system in years ago and it has generally been excellent.

To the point; I am wondering if the H4 bulbs are "worn out". Can halogens lose intensity over time. I don't have any spares to test with at the moment, I am ordering some, but it just made me wonder if the bulbs dim with age. If so, I can schedule these bulbs to be swapped out on a periodic basis whether they are still functioning or not. Does anyone have solid data on this?

Thanks,

Marc

I have that setup and am really happy with it. Are you sure the bulbs were truly getting 13.8 v at the time?

Yes, bulbs do dim over time.

Unfortunately the Osram Night Breaker and Philips Xtreme Vision Plus are not available in sealed beam assemblies.

Best you can do is go for the "XtraVision" or similar ones with more efficient filaments -- those are available as self-contained.

If you can replace the H4 capsules, try the Philips Xtreme Power bulbs. I have H4s in my main vehicle (in OEM reflector housings) and with the Philips XP bulbs, they're probably the best forward lights I've ever had.

I have a set of Hella H4s and H1s on the way ($30 for all four). Hope this solves it, I think it will. I am going to replace these bulbs every 2 years, just make it a part of my PM.

13.8v - Yes 13.8v at the lamp.

I can recall Peugeot 504s which came with a 5.25 CLEAR spot on the driver's side and a "flood" on the other. I would suggest adding a pair of fog pattern lamps to run with the low beams.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
I can recall Peugeot 504s which came with a 5.25 CLEAR spot on the driver's side and a "flood" on the other. I would suggest adding a pair of fog pattern lamps to run with the low beams.

Hmm... interesting. This guy is my vendor generally for these lights:

http://www.talbotco.com/e-code_lamps.htm

I do not see that style available in his inventory. Do you have another source / link? Critical to my requirements is that the lamp looks original. I do not want colors or the flat faced lamps but would be more than willing to experiment with different lens patterns.

These lights have always been excellent, I have put them on every 4 lamp 5.75" system car I have ever owned and this was the first time I have noticed a problem, which I am sure is worn bulbs.

Originally Posted By: marc1

Hmm... interesting. This guy is my vendor generally for these lights:

http://www.talbotco.com/e-code_lamps.htm

I do not see that style available in his inventory. Do you have another source / link? Critical to my requirements is that the lamp looks original. I do not want colors or the flat faced lamps but would be more than willing to experiment with different lens patterns. through Google

These lights have always been excellent, I have put them on every 4 lamp 5.75" system car I have ever owned and this was the first time I have noticed a problem, which I am sure is worn bulbs.

Try "Dan Stern Lighting". Check his web site and send him an email. He has sources for the OEM French and German lighting going way back.

Try "Dan Stern Lighting". Check his web site and send him an email. He has sources for the OEM French and German lighting going way back.

I have tried him in the past but no reply to my email. I can try again I suppose but I don't have confidence based on my prior experience. Regardless thanks for the tips on OE European lighting.

I've participated in a group buy coordinated by Daniel Stern in the past, but it was fulfilled by Candlepower, Inc.

I'm curious, but don't know what his business relationship with them is, but the two seem to be connected in some fashion.

I suspect DS Lighting/Consulting may be his own side business, while he works (or worked for) Candlepower at one point.

Or perhaps they act as his recommended vendor for things he doesn't deal with personally though his own business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back