COUNTERFEIT Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running the Xtreme Power bulbs for years in all my cars where a Philips bulb was available (9006, 9007, 9008). I notice now that they have a new series, the Xtreme Vision. I went to my usual website at candlepowerinc.com and find out that they are only available in a H1,H4,and H7 configuration. Strange, because other sites have virtually all configurations available. One place has the 9003-9008, H7, and H11 for sale. I wrote Candlepower and asked them when I would be able to get a set of 9008's from them. Their reply was very interesting, which I will copy and paste here:

"The lamps came out in October 2013 and was immediately available through some of their European Partnership Retail Stores. Thus far, the only authorized lamps (not counterfeit) available through Philips North America to the distributors are what you see on our website (H1 H7 H4(9003)). One has to know that the 9008(H13) lamp, although popular with pickups and utility vehicles, they never panned out as popular bulb in the automotive aftermarket (four lamp type setup (separate Hi and Lo Beams)). Philips should release the 9008(H13) XV once they have exhausted most of the XTP types that they had manufactured for years. We should be able to order them early-mid 2014.

Be aware that all of the internet 9008(H13) lamps are not genuine."

So, I was going to order a pair of 9008's, but after Candlepower's reply, I didn't. Instead, I wrote Philips NA to inquire if they had knowledge of these non-authorized bulbs and if they could be gray-market instead of counterfeit. Of course I haven't heard back from them yet.

I trust Candlepower so I'm going to wait, at least until (if) I hear back from Philips.

I like the grey market idea. One has to assume like many premium products that they can't get $50/2 bulbs in the 3rd world so you get "parallel imports".

I heard back from Philips NA, and the best I can say is that I got a response.

I specifically asked them "Are Xtreme Vision 9008 (H13) headlight bulbs officially available through Philips NA distributors yet?". I thought it was a simple yes or no response-type question, and what I received was "If you give us your zip code we can locate a dealer where you may safely purchase Philips bulbs."

The Philips NA website is no help either as they officially list only one type of Xtreme Vision bulb available (9003). They don't even show the Xtreme Power line.

I think I'll just wait until Spring before I'll consider buying anything.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Says "Up to 100% more light" lol

That is correct; it gives up to twice the light intensity SOMEWHERE in the beam pattern. It doesn't mean that the bulb is "twice as bright" as a standard bulb, or that you'll have "twice the light" coming from your headlamp. These bulbs achieve their technically accurate marketing claims by creating very tight beam focus and making the hotspot that's already part of your beam pattern as intense as possible. It doesn't mean that you'll necessarily have a lot more light in EVERY part of the beam.

Myself, I actually prefer the mid-level bulbs, like the Philips Vision Plus or Sylvania Xtravision. The hotspot isn't as intense (nor as distracting). I also find that the reflective surfaces light road signs and pavement markers can be TOO bright with certain bulbs.

I, for example, just took the technically superior GE Nighthawk Platinums out of our CR-V's headlamps and re-installed the Philips Vision Plus. I did some night driving on wet roads this weekend and the contrast between very dark pavement and very bright reflective markers was pretty tiring for my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back