Ordered 2021 Ford Escape

dcd

After 1-2 years of researching various CUVs, I’ve decided to go with another Ford Escape, placing an order this afternoon. It is supposed to be built in January and arrive early March.

I hope it will be as trouble-free as my 2006, but I know that may be wishful thinking. The 2006 has 183k mostly trouble free miles. I have maintained it well but it is not been babied.

Top contenders were CX-5 turbo, RAV4, and VW Tiguan.

I owned a 2013 CX-5 that I put 90k mechanically trouble free miles on, but the infotainment was horrible and I didn’t like the way my knee hit the center console. Unfortunately, my knee still hits the console on the 2020 so I reluctantly crossed it off the list.

The RAV4 was another top contender, mainly for Toyota reliability and I’m actually partial to its looks. I rented one for a week. It probably would have been the practical choice, but it just doesn’t excite me. It also doesn’t have a high-output engine option.

I also rented a VW Tiguan for a week and I must say I really liked it. Of course I had deep reservations about VW reliability, not to mention the bad reputation of the local VW dealer. If it had been offered with a high-output engine I probably would not have been able to resist.

I also wanted a replacement with similar towing capability (3500 lb) which will allow me to pull my trailer with ATV or small tractor. It will also give me the flexibility to sell the Tundra in the future should I want/need to.

In the end, tow capacity won out leading me to the Ford Escape. I wasn’t crazy about the styling at first but it has grown on me. Hopefully it will be a good vehicle. You’ll definitely hear from me if it’s not :)

Last edited:
After 1-2 years of researching various CUVs, I’ve decided to go with another Ford Escape, placing an order this afternoon. It is supposed to be built in January and arrive early March.

I hope it will be as trouble-free as my 2006, but I know that may be wishful thinking. The 2006 has 183k mostly trouble free miles. I have maintained it well but it is not been babied.

Top contenders were CX-5 turbo, RAV4, and VW Tiguan.

I owned a 2013 CX-5 that I put 90k mechanically trouble free miles on, but the infotainment was horrible and I didn’t like the way my knee hit the center console. Unfortunately, my knee still hits the console on the 2020 so I reluctantly crossed it off the list.

The RAV4 was another top contender, mainly for Toyota reliability and I’m actually partial to its looks. I rented one for a week. It probably would have been the practical choice, but it just doesn’t excite me. It also doesn’t have a high-output engine option.

I also rented a VW Tiguan for a week and I must say I really liked it. Of course I had deep reservations about VW reliability, not to mention the bad reputation of the local VW dealer. If it had been offered with a high-output engine I probably would not have been able to resist.

I also wanted a replacement with similar towing capability (3500 lb) which will allow me to pull my trailer with ATV or small tractor. It will also give me the flexibility to sell the Tundra in the future should I want/need to.

In the end, tow capacity won out leading me to the Ford Escape. I wasn’t crazy about the styling at first but it has grown on me. Hopefully it will be a good vehicle. You’ll definitely hear from me if it’s not :)
Hope it works out for you. They look good on paper, haven't owned one so I can't attest to reliability.

I had a 2020 Escape as a loaner for a week while the dealer was figuring out the various issues on my '19 lemon. Put about 3,000 miles on it, the service advisor's eyes just about popped out when I brought the car back. It was abysmal, but it was the lowest trim level (S?) with the 1.5 3 cylinder. I'm sure your SEL with the 2.0 will be much nicer.

Reactions: dcd
It sounds like you did your research and chose the vehicle best for you. I can't say I would have arrived at the same decision you did but that is ok! Hope it treats you well and gives you many reliable years of service!

My wife has a 2018 Escape Titanium, AWD, 2.0 EcoBoost. It's a pretty nice vehicle and performs great on the road. It handles like a dream and has plenty of power. We've never towed anythning with it - we've go a truck for that. 47,000 trouble free miles so far.

Is the long delay from build to delivery now a thing? I ordered two Dodge Dakotas and an Olds Cutlass in days of yore...had the Olds a week after it was built and the Dakotas in a couple of weeks.

Escape a Mexican build?

Conragts on your purchase.

Personally-I find the 2021 Escape one of the least best looking vehicles in it's class.

The last three months Ford sold 47,000 escapes.

Toyota sold almost 2 1/2 times the amount of RAV-4's.

Lot to be said for ordering a car the old fashioned way. The option list isn’t as long as they used to be, so your chance to make an artful selection of options isn’t there, but still.

For one thing you can drive a pretty hard bargain on price. Your deposit effectively is the dealer’s carrying cost so he doesn’t have much risk.

When I did it years ago the newly arrived vehicle attracted so much attention that the dealer at first refused delivery and demanded an extra several hundred dollars. A call to the zone manager cleared that up. It took six weeks or a couple of months I think, from ordering to delivery.

It sounds like you did your research and chose the vehicle best for you. I can't say I would have arrived at the same decision you did but that is ok! Hope it treats you well and gives you many reliable years of service!
Thanks! This one was a close call. I could have landed about anywhere with so many options to choose from.

My wife has a 2018 Escape Titanium, AWD, 2.0 EcoBoost. It's a pretty nice vehicle and performs great on the road. It handles like a dream and has plenty of power. We've never towed anythning with it - we've go a truck for that. 47,000 trouble free miles so far.

Glad you’re happy with it! A coworker bought his and her Titanium escapes a few years ago when their his and her Jetta diesels were bought back. They have been happy with theirs also.

Is the long delay from build to delivery now a thing? I ordered two Dodge Dakotas and an Olds Cutlass in days of yore...had the Olds a week after it was built and the Dakotas in a couple of weeks.

Escape a Mexican build?
It’s built in Kentucky. I think it will get here quicker and they just didn’t want to overpromise, but we’ll see I guess.

Conragts on your purchase.

Personally-I find the 2021 Escape one of the least best looking vehicles in it's class.

The last three months Ford sold 47,000 escapes.

Toyota sold almost 2 1/2 times the amount of RAV-4's.
Thanks. I almost bought a RAV4, but the Escape grew on me. Hopefully I won’t regret it.

I take it you didn't drive the Hybrid RAV4. It is quick, wife says the acceleration feeling is close to her previous Venza V6, which was pretty quick.
The RAV4 has 2x the fuel economy vs the Venza.
The RAV4 is built in a Toyota plant, in Kentucky now as well.
Toyota Kentucky Begins Production of Hot-Selling RAV4 Hybrid - Toyota USA Newsroom

Lot to be said for ordering a car the old fashioned way. The option list isn’t as long as they used to be, so your chance to make an artful selection of options isn’t there, but still.

For one thing you can drive a pretty hard bargain on price. Your deposit effectively is the dealer’s carrying cost so he doesn’t have much risk.

When I did it years ago the newly arrived vehicle attracted so much attention that the dealer at first refused delivery and demanded an extra several hundred dollars. A call to the zone manager cleared that up. It took six weeks or a couple of months I think, from ordering to delivery.

I admit I’ve wanted to special order a vehicle for a while. I’ve purchase many on the lot as usually I don’t have trouble finding what I want. This time a new-for-2021 color led me to order.

I'd have been super tempted to check out the Alfa, too, since you considered the Ford. It can tow 3000# and would be fun like your Mazda, while adding a bit of exotic to the mix.

Might want to check out the Ford extended warranty “ESP” that they sell at discount through Flood Ford.

Mine expired unused after 7 years, so I can’t speak to how well they honor it. For my low option vehicle I thought that the medium grade long-term, relatively high deductible policy was peace of mind for not much money.

As we’ve seen, Ford has some ghastly debacles every once in awhile.

I take it you didn't drive the Hybrid RAV4. It is quick, wife says the acceleration feeling is close to her previous Venza V6, which was pretty quick.
The RAV4 has 2x the fuel economy vs the Venza.
The RAV4 is built in a Toyota plant, in Kentucky now as well.
Toyota Kentucky Begins Production of Hot-Selling RAV4 Hybrid - Toyota USA Newsroom

Honestly, I probably didn’t look at the RAV4 hybrid as closely as I should have. I didn’t realize that they had started making them in the US either. That’s good to know. There is one guy on the Ford Escape forum that traded his 2019 RAV4 hybrid for a 2.0 Escape and appears extremely happy. That’s just one data point though.

I'd have been super tempted to check out the Alfa, too, since you considered the Ford. It can tow 3000# and would be fun like your Mazda, while adding a bit of exotic to the mix.
Alfa! That’s one I didn’t think about for sure. I assumed they were out of my price range.

Back