Orange Eggs

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
My morning breakfast is two scrambled eggs and some berries. This morning I was using a some Trader Joe's cage free eggs and the yoke was orange...I have never seen an egg like this. I ate it and it tasted fine but I am used to yellow yokes. Any idea what is going on here? Color is a bit off it looked more orange in person.

IMG_0425.jpeg

My recommendation is to avoid Trader Joe's if you cannot handle food that is not bland. Wait until you get the one with a blood spot in it. We eat those, right along with the others, although my wife usually picks out the blood spot.

as noted chickens like humans are what they eat!! todays foods are mostly IMO made for higher profits but there are some better choices at higher prices, money well spent IMO. eggs are a near perfect food + the nutrients in the yolks are very healthy + nutritious, especially the choline in them

Last edited:
Those orange yolks are from a truly fresh egg. With time and prolonged refrigeration they will become pale yellow. And that is the junk that you get in most grocery stores.

Grew up on a farm and ate our free range chicken and goose eggs. The yolk color is is darker/richer with better feed (I believe) and they also ate a lot of bugs, worms and ants. The blood spots are common in real eggs and don't make any difference.
We didn't know they were "free range" back in the 1970s. :ROFLMAO:

This makes no sense.
Are you saying that all the food they carry is spicy
I've never heard of a spicy grocery store.
This is completely contrary to my Trader Joe's experiences.

Can you please elaborate?
no... they're suggesting that the foods at TJ's is FLAVORFUL
"Spice" is just one element of flavor

Those orange yolks are from a truly fresh egg. With time and prolonged refrigeration they will become pale yellow. And that is the junk that you get in most grocery stores.

So we were just eating fresh eggs and the food had nothing to do with it? Bummer. So much for my theory.

Once upon a time, we have real eggs, and then the chicken cartel took over and feed them all with corns and now all the yolks are yellow and taste bland. The best-tasting eggs are from hens that eat bugs like they should have been. I heard centipede eating hen lays the best tasting eggs.

My kids love hard-boiled and tea eggs, the only egg source that will consistently not go weird after hard-boiled is from Trader Joe's and Costco. Anywhere else I get about 2-3 in 12 that would turn into a mess.

Oh if you like double yolk eggs, Trader Joe's Jumbo is the way to go.

Last edited:
Egg-producing chickens, for the most part, live hellacious lives trapped with no sunlight or exercise, in hot, diseased barns, being fed the cheapest 'food' available. The eggs you're buying from these suppliers are bound to taste like nothing, as these poor chickens have nothing left to give.

My MIL has a farm outside of Dallas where she raises Araucanas, Leghorns, Marans, Brahmas, and Wyondottes in a huge farm yard and a barn that's all theirs. The yolks in these eggs are like looking into the sun. When we run out of eggs from her, we get them at Aldi, and they're just not the same.

Back