Options for Corolla 195/65-15

Status
Not open for further replies.
The current PureContact ECO+ have 52K miles and 5/32, I could probably run them again for the summer, but with rebates coming up soon, I'm starting to think about replacing them when it's time to take the winter tires off. I have two sets of rims, so I can jump on a sale, closeout or rebate at any time.

I was seriously thinking of just doing the same tire again, but availability has dropped to nothing. (Kicking myself, I probably could have grabbed a closeout last month.) They appear to have been discontinued in favor of the new PureContact LS. Since Conti advertise the LS as 50% quieter, and the PureContact Eco+ is already a rather quiet tire, I was ready to jump all over the LS... but it does not appear to be available in this size. I guess Corolla size wheels do not rank a really fabulous tire.
frown.gif

Local tire guy recommended the BFG Advantage T/A Sport, but the other thread pinned them as noisy, which is really what I want to avoid. I also noticed it weighs more than the competition, and has less tread depth, and only 400 treadwear, all marks against it. I don't need a 70K tire per se, but this vehicle gets a lot of mileage fast and I don't want to be replacing tires in less than 2 years/40K miles.

Corolla 195/65-15, Car is used for long distance commuting, which is why quiet, rain, and comfort are big factors, so I'm looking in the "Grand Touring" category.

So my priorities, in order of importance:
Rain traction
Braking
Quiet
Comfortable ride
Reasonable handling (I don't need "sporty", just not squishy)
Something better than 400 treadwear of the BFG Adv T/A Sport

I have a feeling the answer is going to be "RT43", there are 2 to choose from, T and H/V speed rated. What besides the speed rating and price differentiates the two? The price difference is trivial for this size. I am concerned about reports of the RT43 tramlining, which is an issue with all the roadwork this vehicle is driven through. Also, I just want some informed opinions on other options.

I believe concerning the RT43's that the h/v speed rated tires have less starting tread depth than the t rated ones.Also higher speed rating will probably be a little stiffer Could you please explain what tramlining is?

Last edited:
Hankook 737. Have them on both Jetta's 195-65-15 and 205-55-16. They seem to be great tires for the money. Rated 90,000 miles and American made.

I also had the Yokohama Avid Ascends in the 195-65-15. At 35,000 miles I took them off and sold them to a buddy that was going through a tough time. Still had (if I remember right) 5/32nds and where good tires too.

The 2006 Corolla in my sig currently rides on Cooper CS5 Grand Touring Tires that should more than satisfy what you require. I truly find them to be a great "all around" tire.
If you lean a little more to the "Sporting" side, the CS5 Ultra Touring tires probably would be a better fit.

From Cooper website:
"The CS5 Grand Touringâ„¢ is designed for a long-lasting comfortable ride in a wide range of sizes for most sedans, SUVs and CUVs.
Quiet tread design
Superior handling, cornering and stability
Exceptional traction for all weather conditions
M+S Rated

195/65R15
91T
780 A A
STD
BLK
"

Yes, the RT43s are a very good tire and I have had them. However, though they're not a loud tire, they are audible. And for as many times folks have asked me about, "what tire should I buy?", instead of suggesting a tire brand/model, I am now asking these same folks...:
These are my quotes:

"How do you like your current tire?"
"If you like it, get it again!"...........if still available.
"You know exactly how it acts"
"If you're looking for a tire that can do something else, then I can offer up some advise"

With 5/32nds, I may run your current tires another year. Because what I have learned is that, there will always be tire sales/rebates/closeouts.

BUT, if you're questioning the "iffyness" or "trust" of your current tires due to being half worn then, certainly get new tires. Do what makes you sleep well at night.

^^^That is my best advise,

CB

Last edited:
I have an 07 corolla. Id suggest checking into the Pirelli P4s. I heard good things about the P4s... The only good set Ihad in the wet was Cooper Zeon RS3As...which are AA traction. The Cooper CS5s look good (mentionned above). I will probably put a set of Nokian all weathers on as my next set. Maybe consider the non all weather Nokian options they seem to be reviewed well too.

My xB has RT43s for summer tires, but the GY Assurance Tripletreds are almost unbeatable in rain-they will actually throw rooster tails off the sides in heavy rain, it's almost impossible to hydroplane them. Not sure if they're available in a 15 inch tire, though.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
I have an 07 corolla. Id suggest checking into the Pirelli P4s. I heard good things about the P4s... The only good set Ihad in the wet was Cooper Zeon RS3As...which are AA traction. The Cooper CS5s look good (mentionned above). I will probably put a set of Nokian all weathers on as my next set. Maybe consider the non all weather Nokian options they seem to be reviewed well too.

Be very careful with the P4s. I know they have good ratings overall, and they do last a long time, but both of the poeple I have known with them had them on small, FWD, light Toyota products (a Yaris and an xB) and both absolutely hated them in the rain, calling them downright dangerous and ditching them with tons of tread left for cheaper tires that both liked better (in both cases, Mastercraft MC440s that both raved about from then on).

I'd go with RT43s or TrueContacts (the new version may or may not be different from the old; the old ones worked very well on Corollas).

Michelin Defender T+H.

Have them on my wife's Liberty and they have been great in all conditions.

Michelin has a rebate coming up March/April.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
Have had good (so far) experience with the Walmart only General Exclaim HPX. Seem better than Wally only Goodyear-Kelly brands.

That would be because they are made by Continental.

Originally Posted by Rolla07
I will probably put a set of Nokian all weathers on as my next set. Maybe consider the non all weather Nokian options they seem to be reviewed well too.

I'm running the Nokian eNTYRES on the Matrix and would think twice about getting them again. Wearing fast, noisy although I'm pleased with their traction in the white stuff. Also no warranty support from Amazon or Nokian with these. Didn't even get an email back from Nokain since Amazon told me to contact them about it. Also read some complaints about how Nokian supplied tires for reviews which were made of better quality materials than what the public receives.

Looks like I will get about 2 years/40k out of these. Previous two sets of tires usually last 4-5 years and 55k miles.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Hankook 737. Have them on both Jetta's 195-65-15 and 205-55-16. They seem to be great tires for the money. Rated 90,000 miles and American made.

I also had the Yokohama Avid Ascends in the 195-65-15. At 35,000 miles I took them off and sold them to a buddy that was going through a tough time. Still had (if I remember right) 5/32nds and where good tires too.

Always like reading your recommendations since you're in that line of work.

Another vote for the RT43. I've got them in the same size and have no complaints. Got my local shop to price match Walmart, which at the time was $63/tire. If you're not concerned about the extra warranty, get the H-rated version.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
Also no warranty support from Amazon or Nokian with these. Didn't even get an email back from Nokain since Amazon told me to contact them about it.

Spoke too soon of course. Just received a reply back from them that sounds pretty good. They said once they're down to 2mm of tread left to stop in at an authorized retailer to consider warranty coverage. DT is an authorized retailer so we will see how that goes. But at least I heard back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back