Opinions requested on CVTs so far (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nissan has been pretty much all Jatco belt drive CVT for years now. You don't hear of any more issues with them than you do with a modern 5+ speed, geared AT.

Subaru made the commitment to them in 2010 by using roller chain, Aisin built CVTs in several models. All their ATs will be CVT before long. I've not heard of a single failure with them, but there's not many at high miles yet.

I really enjoy my Subaru with the old-school EJ253 boxer and CVT auto.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Clevy

My mother has one in a dodge caliber. Personally I think the engine is underpowered,fuel economy is barely 30mpg. fail.

The CVT in that thing makes driving the car brutal. It reminds me of a Mac Pro desktop that has a board failure. It doesn't start up but the fans spin at maximum voltage and whines like a hairdryer.

Originally Posted By: NateDN10
Originally Posted By: Miller88
My old AW-4 will keep going. It's the slushbox of sludhboxes, but it's reliable.

With some of these new cars, only see manual as an option. I don't want a 9 speed automatic (especially if it's from chrysler), I don't ant a $7k CVT.

I'm going to have to stick with my 5 / 6 speed manual.

Aren't Chrysler sourcing their many-speed AT's from ZF?

Yes, I think they realized that they can't build a reliable automatic transmission in house.

I rent Nissan Altima's all the time (25 car rentals this year alone)

I love the CVT, the way it drives and the way it feels. I really don't like the multi speed conventional transmissions that upshift into a useless gear faster than humanly possible. Only to delay a downshift annoyingly.

My F150 six speed auto will, upon hard braking, and a "U-turn" will take 2.5 seconds to find the right gear and apply power. By that time, people are honking. NOT GOOD.

The CVT's do what's asked, right now! I love that. Economy when I ask for it, power when requested.

Buddies Nissan Murano has 150K miles on the orig CVT. And, he's not easy on it.

IIRC, the Chrysler 8 speed automatic trans is being built in a new plant in Kokomo IN. under license from ZF. Time will tell if the quality of the ZF tranny will be maintained, or, will Chrysler's quality lapses follow. FWIW--Oldtommy

The CVTs in both of my hybrids have worked flaulessly. They've been used for years in hybrids and I haven't read of failures.

i also rent Altima and Maxima's all the time. Each iteration of their CVT gets better, they are pretty decent to drive. While I still prefer a manual, for my wife a CVT is a great option. In fact, our '04 Audi A4 had a cvt that combined with the turbo motor made a great combination that would accelerate well and hold the RPM down below 3K for most driving with decent acceleration. It was a great feature that enhanced that particular cars driving experience

I like the idea of CVTs and I think they are here to stay, but they are definitely still in their infancy compared to traditional automatics and manuals, and some of them do have a poor track record regardless of servicing.

My CVT experience is primarily with the one in my dad's 2004 Civic Hybrid. My dad picked the car out before it even reached the US, took delivery the day the dealer got it, and has only taken the car to that same dealer for service. The car has been maintained by the book and nothing has been overlooked on it.

At around 38K miles the car developed a bad shudder on acceleration. The dealer replaced the entire transmission under warranty. That worked for a while, but the shudder came back about 35K miles later, and this time the dealer "burnished the start clutch." That seems to have done the trick for now, but I just can't see it being a permanent fix. Coupled with the IMA battery problems (car has a new hybrid battery and IMA light is on again), this car's days are numbered. So far Honda has covered everything and the dealer has been providing loaners, but after 8 years and 90K miles of doing that, I am betting Honda's generosity will run out soon.

I am not trying to knock all Hondas or all CVTs, simply pointing out that anytime a new technology is introduced there will be some snags. For me personally, CVTs have a ways to go before I will trust them to be as reliable as an automatic or manual.

As for driving experience, while CVTs don't really bother me, I do like the feel of the nice positive, firm shifts I get from my truck's automatic. Even if it's not the most efficient way of doing things, there is something satisfying about ripping through the gears whether it's an auto or manual. I love winding my truck up to 5000 RPM and getting a nice firm shift...and it still does it flawlessly after 132K of not so easy miles. CVTs just don't offer as much on-ramp entertainment.

i have been keeping a hawks eye on subaru cvt's ever since making the plunge myself a year ago with a 2012 outback. i've seen zero issues on the forums so that is very telling.

Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
i have been keeping a hawks eye on subaru cvt's ever since making the plunge myself a year ago with a 2012 outback. i've seen zero issues on the forums so that is very telling.

I hear that.

Poking around online, I've read of ~2010 Legacy 2.5i CVTs with 70-80K miles on them. No issues. I know lots were used by rental companies and fleets as well.

Nice easy fill and drain plugs on them as well, but I haven't read of a single DIY or dealer service at this point.

Joel

Having recently purchased a hybrid and only 7000 miles on it I must admit I like the CVT. No more shifting thuds, no downshifting, RPMS are relatively in the same range most of the time and the torque seems pretty constant. reliability, well, will see how these new 6 and speed trannys hold up at 100,000 miles and the cost to repair them.

So, although few miles I vote for a good option on these.

A few years ago my mom owned a Mini Cooper with the CVT. In that car it was a delight. Perfectly matched to the engine's power curve. Completely void of the rubber band effect.

Then earlier this year I had to rent a small Nissan sedan with a CVT (Sentra?). It was terrible. I never got used to it. Big time rubber band effect. The engine and trans were not matched together at all.

I've heard lots of good things about the Nissan Altima CVT, not sure if that is a different unit or just better programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back