Opinions on K&N Oil Filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running a K&N oil filter on my Power Stroke since I got it in Novemer 04. Can anyone give me an opinion on the K&N's? Is there a better filter as far as testing shows. I am currently paying right over $12.00 for the filter, which I figured was a pretty good price for a K&N. I have to admit that I am using this filter for the name only. I figured if it said K&N, it was probably the best. Please give me some good layman's info as to why it is good or why a different brand is better for the money.

For the size tested in the "Grease Oil Filter Study", nearly every other brand filtered better. Flow was quite good with the K&N compared to most, though. But, to me it looked like the tradeoff was better with several other filters.

Motorcraft FL-1995 at WalMart=$9.95
Mobil 1 M1-601 at AutoZone=$9.95
Both of these filters fit all 7.3 PSD's.

Either of these filters are good, but if available, for the money, I prefer the Mobil 1.

smile.gif

There's usually no reason to use a K&N oil filter. If you have a serious performance vehicle that actually needs and uses a performance pump, I suppose something less restrictive than the OEM filter is in order. But other than that, I can't recommend it, especially given the cost and the filtration ability (or lack thereof).

i was using K&N filters back when i could find them for $8, but now can't find them for under $12 so i switched to german Bosch filter $5.32
 -

According to Grease's study the K&N flowed above average, but was outflowed by quite a few cheaper filters, inlcuding the under $3 Purolator.

I don't see a reason to use them, especially at that price.

-T

quote:

Originally posted by TheFuror:

quote:

Originally posted by tylerb:
I have been running a K&N oil filter on my Power Stroke since I got it in Novemer 04. Can anyone give me an opinion on the K&N's?

I have had good luck with them (except *maybe* one bad one) and the latest UOA on my Avalanche showed "good filtration [and] low solubles" using the smaller filter (HP-1007).

The SOTP view also seems to suggest that the filter works well.

I know Patman uses K&N oil filters and he posts some of the best UOA's around here.

cheers.gif

Bob W.

A UOA without particle count tells you next to nothing about how the filter is doing for you.

I have used K&N oil filters with Red Line in my 99 Acura SLX (trooper) always had excellent UOA's. Acura recomends that you change the filter every OTHER oil change. I change every time and use OCI of 7500 to 10000. Ten K was too long. Anyhthing between 7500 and 9000 works just fine with Red Line/K&N combo.

quote:

Originally posted by tylerb:
I have been running a K&N oil filter on my Power Stroke since I got it in Novemer 04. Can anyone give me an opinion on the K&N's?

I have had good luck with them (except *maybe* one bad one) and the latest UOA on my Avalanche showed "good filtration [and] low solubles" using the smaller filter (HP-1007).

The SOTP view also seems to suggest that the filter works well.

I know Patman uses K&N oil filters and he posts some of the best UOA's around here.

cheers.gif

Bob W.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back