Opinions on E-Core filters

I have not seen any reported issues with e-core filters in well over a decade.
There were issues with the spacing and the plastic itself, but again, long since addressed.

My gripe with the Champ e-core filters are the ones I use (like the ST2 from Walmart) has a combo valve, and while I am sure it works fine, I just don't like it.
That said, I use an ST2 on my brother in laws F150.
On a side note, I do use the ST9688 as well, but that is not an e-core design, nor a combo valve. If it had a silicone ADV, it would be an almost perfect budget filter (and in reality still is for me for my use of it).

I noticed when purchasing a new oil filter for my F150 at Walmart that after checking the filters for it, the ST2 was significantly shorter than the FL820S from Motorcraft...the Morotcraft looked better and seemed heavier as well (I admit that none of this may mean anything as to filter performance)...the other filters available at Walmart were the Fram filters, the orange one felt really cheap, the Tough Guard seemed less than the Motorcraft and the Ultra Guard seemed the best but was twice the price as was the Mobil 1 filter which was $1 more than the Fram Ultra...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

Note-the oil light flickering are on vehicles that were made in 1999 and 2001 respectfully.

Think about that...................

I bought a st3614 and it has this patent on it.

Looking at the filter and reading a little on the patent not all of it, I kind of like the e core. The combo valve does not allow any oil from the dirty side get to the clean side regardless if the filter is up or down. The oil is circulated directly into the center tube. Pretty smart I would say. For a 5 k change I like them.

Sorry for the zombie thread reply. I can't comment on the newer design either because I simply haven't trusted them and haven't used one since I posted this in 2011.

Sorry for the zombie thread reply. I can't comment on the newer design either because I simply haven't trusted them and haven't used one since I posted this in 2011.

The eCores today look to have a much better core design where the "windows" are much smaller. The one in your old thread is back when they were in their infancy and obviously the engineers didn't know how to design them well.

The eCores today look to have a much better core design where the "windows" are much smaller. The one in your old thread is back when they were in their infancy and obviously the engineers didn't know how to design them well.
....and makes you wonder if the "well engineering" was actually FRAM engineers under Rank Group?.... Just saying FRAM has better engineering crew than Champ Labs. Maybe lack of investment or lack of retention of talent.

Before Ecore, what made Champ labs stand out? Just a Midwestern company stamping extra thick Mobil 1 cans.....

Back