Best brand of "E-core" filters right now?

What brand has the best E-Core built filters(champ lab ecore) silicone adbv, filter media, etc.
How much do you want to pay? The STP Extended Life filters are built nice and have high efficiency. They are around $10. If you don't care much about efficiency and cost, then maybe go with the SuperTech (made by Champ Labs I believe) which also have the eCore and metal end caps design.

Here's another filter I'd consider for $10. Efficiency is 99% @ 25u. Nice metal center tube with lots of big holes.

I use the acdelco pf61e on two of my vehicles. I haven't had any problems. I used to get a more expensive Wix but the acdelco filters were half the price and the reviews were comparable. It seems the ecore no longer has the negative reputation it had several years ago.

It seems the ecore no longer has the negative reputation it had several years ago.
Yep, seems the filter makers learned some lessons early on and got the eCore center tube design right now. The main problem was some of the early designs had too wide windows in the center tube, and if the media was wide spaced the delta-p could tear and blow the media through the wide window and into the engine.

That’s the difference-ALL Ecores come from Champ, but, AFAIK only the Royal Purple has full synthetic media combined with the Ecore center tube (on some part#s). Hoping that First Brands recent ripoff trend doesn’t hit the RP next…

That’s the difference-ALL Ecores come from Champ, but, AFAIK only the Royal Purple has full synthetic media combined with the Ecore center tube (on some part#s). Hoping that First Brands recent ripoff trend doesn’t hit the RP next…
I think that STP Extended Life filter in post #2 might have the same guts as the Royal Purple. If not, it's efficiency is just as good at 99% @ 20u.

Edit/Update - looks like AutoZone's website now shows a different construction than the video in post #2 shows. The world of oil filters. :rolleyes:

The AutoZone photos shows it's built more like the Microgard Select Extended Life.

Last edited:
I think that STP Extended Life filter in post #2 might have the same guts as the Royal Purple. If not, it's efficiency is just as good at 99% @ 20u.

Edit/Update - looks like AutoZone's website now shows a different construction than the video in post #2 shows. The world of oil filters. :rolleyes:

The AutoZone photos shows it's built more like the Microgard Select Extended Life.

Pretty sure the STP & Microgard XL are blend, and Chinese made, although it appears Champ did (does?) make STP at one point, but none I ever saw were full syn media. A quality full syn automotive/gas application oil filter is getting hard to find, unfortunately.

Pretty sure the STP & Microgard XL are blend, and Chinese made, although it appears Champ did (does?) make STP at one point, but none I ever saw were full syn media. A quality full syn automotive/gas application oil filter is getting hard to find, unfortunately.
The Microgard Select at O'Rielly Auto Parts is made in Vietnam ... it's printed on the box. I just looked at them in the store yesterday, and Whip City video shows that too. They are well built filters, and efficiency is up there pretty good - 99% @ 25u isn't bad IMO. For $10 they seem like a good filter for the money.

1657760832355.jpg

Last edited:
Back