E-core and the no glue endcaps..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have made mention a number of times that the endcaps on the E-core filter is not glued to the element media. Of course others have claimed it is glue..
grin.gif

But now that I have some documentation, I'll explain how Champ seals the endcap to the element and what the other filter companies who have cut open the E-core already know.

The E-core filter has a "thermobonded" endcap.

So how is this done one might ask.

"This bonding technique has been around a number of years. High frequency vibration is directed into the non-woven filter media ( or the synthetic endcap material Champ uses. It's not felt!!). This vibration produces heat that causes the material to melt and fuse to the media.

Although no threads or adhesives are used, the fused bond is stronger and more reliable than that which can be produced by stitching, glue, or hot air. The bonding process requires seconds to seal. ( which is much faster than the curing of glues in an oven).

This technology is used to bond textiles, non-wovens, metals, and plastics. It is used in the filtration, apparel, automotive, appliance, HVAC, aerospace, medical, electronic, and electrical fields."

Now the above is from an article in an industry magazine I receive. What is in parenthesis is my bits and not part of the article.

Should anyone want a copy, send me a pm and i'll fax a copy to you. Of course this article is about a specific company who sells the bonding equipment. But it is the process by which Champ uses to make the E-core filter element. It is expensive because you need a purpose built production line to do it. However, there are some European and American filter companies using this technology to bond plastic endcaps to elements. The problem is you just haven't seen it in automotive filters over here....
wink.gif

So now the mystery is solved...

quote:

It is expensive because you need a purpose built production line to do it.

Yup, but once that equipment is paid for, it is MUCH cheaper than a conventional glue process in terms of cycle times, I am sure, and I suspect material costs are lower as well.

Champ did not set out to build a superior filter with the Ecore. They set out to make a filter that was inexpensive and efficient to manufacture, while performing as well as, or better than the existing benchmark. This required significant "up front" capital investment, but we all know that once this is paid for, the filter will enjoy a higher margin.

As I've said before, Champ did a good job with the engineering on this filter, IMO. They need to get the bonding process perfected though. I am also leary about using an ecore with a built-in bypass, due to the less-than-predictable behavior of elastomers under temperature variations and harsh environments. How can you quantify these real world conditions for a variety of engines, vehicles, and conditions and effectively duplicate them in the lab?

Well, in that sense, I suppose it IS superior.
smile.gif
Will they pass the savings along to the customer? I doubt it... Ecores sell for the same price as the "old style" filters... just with higher margins built in.

quote:

Originally posted by novadude:
Well, in that sense, I suppose it IS superior.
smile.gif
Will they pass the savings along to the customer? I doubt it... Ecores sell for the same price as the "old style" filters... just with higher margins built in.

I wouldn't know if they're higher margin just yet. Apparently they've brought in new equipment and are using different materials that they're going to eventually write off.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:
How is a filter that does the same thing for less money not "superior"?

How do we know it does the same thing. Looks like in some applications they certainly do not. For the 3980 it looks like they added an uneeded bypass function(and a failure point).

-T

T-Keith ..if it is a GM application you specifically wonder about the by-pass in the filter has the same setting as the one in the block so they do not interfere with each other. But Champ has made a design change..if you missed my previous post..and blocked the inlet holes so that the by-pass is rendered ineffective for GM applications.

Look for the E-core as the OEM filter on some future engines.......
wink.gif

As I've said before, Champ did a good job with the engineering on this filter, IMO.

I too think this is a timely evolution in oil filtration.

After I get done with my PureOne's in the bypass valve test, I think I'll ecore it for a while to see if it is routinely junk or routinely sound. With Wally World getting rid of ST ..where are our sources for ecores?? (I really haven't paid attention here).

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
As I've said before, Champ did a good job with the engineering on this filter, IMO.

I too think this is a timely evolution in oil filtration.

After I get done with my PureOne's in the bypass valve test, I think I'll ecore it for a while to see if it is routinely junk or routinely sound. With Wally World getting rid of ST ..where are our sources for ecores?? (I really haven't paid attention here).

valucraft
STP

Gary:

As far as I know all Champ private label customers have converted to E-core for the 10-20 part numbers that are available as E-core. With the exception of Mobil 1 and K&N becuase of the heavier duty nature of those filters ( thicker metals in the can, backplate, etc..)
-------------------------------------

There may be another issue..

From what I remember when I was on the Filter Council, one of the issues about "used filters" was the disposal. Which you pay a fee for. The oil change people crush the filter and it is trucked to a smelter. Where it is burned off and the metals are turned into rebar for contruction use.

One of the by-products of the glues is the "gas" they emit when burned. I can see some benefits to the E-core with no glues environmentally.

Not to mention if you do dispose of your filter in the local land fill, the glues "might" pose some problems there.

Europe has much, much stricter rules for disposal than the US does. Which is one of the reason why when some asked about why would a company go to E-core type design....I said the future. Not just for engine OEM's but for consumers as well.

It is conceiveable you will have to pay more to dispose of metal endcap filters in the future due to the glues and less for an E-core design.

The bonding technique sounds like ultrasonic plastic welding. It's a well known technique having been around since at least the 70's, probably earlier. Look at most plastic automotive lamp housings if you want to see a common product that uses it. The lens and reflector are usually attached in this manner.

With rigid plastics, when they're designed correctly and the process is under control, it's cheap, fast, and quite effective. There's the issues. Parts designed correctly and the process under control.

I designed some parts in the past that were bonded together in this manner and that is not as trivial as some think, nor is making sure the process stays under control in production.

All I can say is good luck trying to "bond" a porous flexible material to another porous flexible material of different density and do it consistently and in a repeatable manner. I'm glad it's them instead of me that has to make this work...
wink.gif

I've witnessed ultrasonic welding. Somewhat noisy ..at least briefly. We had a side line at my last job making "roto-routers" for kidney dialysis patients. It declotted the vessel. Thrombectomy (spl?).. anyway sounded like a shrill whistle. I kept looking for a way to muffle it.

It was an ABS type hard casing that was being welded. They too were throw away items (@450 each for a glorfied 9v moto tool with fancy S attachement and IV features).

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
I've witnessed ultrasonic welding. Somewhat noisy ..at least briefly. We had a side line at my last job making "roto-routers" for kidney dialysis patients. It declotted the vessel. Thrombectomy (spl?).. anyway sounded like a shrill whistle. I kept looking for a way to muffle it.

It was an ABS type hard casing that was being welded. They too were throw away items (@450 each for a glorfied 9v moto tool with fancy S attachement and IV features).

Bonding ABS using this method is very common. Polycarbonates are also bonded this way quite often i.e. lamp assemblies. Both these materials have properties that lend themselves to this technique.

The frequencies used are very high and most older people can't hear them. I never had any problem but I was younger when I worked with this equipment. I'm not sure I could hear it now and I understand some of the newer equipment uses even higher frequencies that are inaudible.

It's a good process if it's done right. The process is fast and the equipment is inexpensive and low maintenance. The bonds are every bit as strong as any type of adhesive or solvent cement. If it's done right, with the right materials and techniques...
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Filter guy:
T-Keith ..if it is a GM application you specifically wonder about the by-pass in the filter has the same setting as the one in the block so they do not interfere with each other. But Champ has made a design change..if you missed my previous post..and blocked the inlet holes so that the by-pass is rendered ineffective for GM applications.

Look for the E-core as the OEM filter on some future engines.......
wink.gif

Filter guy, I'm glad you finally answered my question I've been asking you for months. Interesting that you waited til now to post it however.
wink.gif

I've seen an ST5 with the holes blocked off, and it seems like an acceptable solution. I know you won't admit it, but with this design change it's seems like they've realized they made a mistake.

Still waiting for a 3887 application.

-T

I've been busy...lol

But I had answered before about the by-pass. Just don't remember which thread it was in.

Keep your eye on the AC Filters for GM applications, you just might see another change down the road..
wink.gif

I have been a big fan of the old ST filters and just installed a new e-core 3614 this weekend. I think my truck sonds great with it on. I had tried puroilaters and they made it sound aweful on startup. I like the new design.

Despite comments to the contrary by BITOG's vocal contingent of FUD rumor mongers, that free-flowing cage can't be all bad, huh? . . .
wink.gif

Fear
Uncertainty &
Doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back