Opinions On An All Terrain Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of good A/T's on the market these days. I wanted a fairly economic AT tire that would do well on the highway and in snow while still being OK off road. Went with the Cooper AT3 and I am very happy. Not the most aggressive for wet off road conditions but VERY street friendly and does great in the winter. So far its wearing well with approx. 12,000 miles on this set.

goodyear wrangler with kevlar currently on sale via tirerack, and get surprisingly good reviews (I'm not a fan of GY, but the tripletread on our T&C have been /excellent/ so I am at least open to considering GY). Seem to get good reviews for both on and off road.

I'd be curious if anyone else has tried them...

B'stone Revo 2's are listed as a best seller. tend to get reviews for short treadlife, with a few exceptions. I had a set of those -- excellent road manners and were effective as an A/T offroad in light-to-medium situations. sold the car before they reached half tread so I can't speak to treadlife.

Originally Posted By: buck91
A lot of good A/T's on the market these days. I wanted a fairly economic AT tire that would do well on the highway and in snow while still being OK off road. Went with the Cooper AT3 and I am very happy. Not the most aggressive for wet off road conditions but VERY street friendly and does great in the winter. So far its wearing well with approx. 12,000 miles on this set.

I have a set of the Cooper Discoverer A/T3's as well, and I'm very happy with them. Cooper hit a home run with this tire.

firestone destination's AT did well on my 08 colorado 4wd, i opted for a set of new nokian rotiiva AT with the winter snowflake rating. they ride + feel as good maybe better than the destinations, time will tell on wear + snow + rain traction as i am just breakin them in. retired + drive my truck only when its not nice enough for my 01 TT roadster, also haul 4 or 5 loads of coal yearly. getting up my graded snow covered yard to the back of my house is why i opted for more aggressive tires as they wear faster by nature. always run 4 snow tires on smaller dedicated wheels on my 01 jetta while working construction + was never stuck getting to work while i seen 4wd suv's struggle with all season but winter tires

Originally Posted By: Red91
Hi all. I'm seeking opinions on an all terrain tire for my truck. It needs new tires, and all terrain is the way to go for me. The truck is a 2003 Dodge Dakota Quad cab 4x4. Mileage will range from 150 to 200 miles a week, of mixed stop and go town, off road, and highway/interstate driving. I want a tire that does well off road, but also rides smooth and handles well on the paved roads.

I have BFG A-T T/A KO's on my 01 Dakota club cab 4x4. They are awesome tires off-road and on, in every respect except noise and fuel economy. Neither is awful but it is not going to be quiet on the highway with that big tread, and they are just too heavy and have too much roll resistance to be super fuel conscious... but you drive a QC 4x4 anyway. I regularly off-road up a steep rocky leafy mountain "road" and the BFG's totally outperform my 3 previous brands of A/T tires, all of which are out of production while the KO's rock on (that should tell you something)

IMHO your weekly mileage is kind of high for a serious off-road tire, you need something that leans more towards the highway, like Firestone Destination A/T's or Michelin LTX MS/2's. Don't dismiss the Michelins for off-road, they are as good off road or in snow as the Firestones, and will last longer, but cost more up front.

Originally Posted By: mjk
Cooper Discoverer A/T
Old design, seems to be discontinued.

Cooper Discoverer A/T3 is current.
Cooper Discoverer A/TW is year-round with the snowflake-on-mountain snow rating.

Well, I'm still very interested in the Generals. The BFG's also pique my interest. It will be some time before I get said tires, as I'm either going to have to sell something or finance (-_-). Price will be an issue, although I do understand that lower price can mean lower quality in the world of tires. I've also considered just using an all season tire, due to the predominance of highway miles. No real price difference between the A/T's and A/S's.

Originally Posted By: meep
goodyear wrangler with kevlar currently on sale via tirerack, and get surprisingly good reviews (I'm not a fan of GY, but the tripletread on our T&C have been /excellent/ so I am at least open to considering GY). Seem to get good reviews for both on and off road.

I'd be curious if anyone else has tried them...

B'stone Revo 2's are listed as a best seller. tend to get reviews for short treadlife, with a few exceptions. I had a set of those -- excellent road manners and were effective as an A/T offroad in light-to-medium situations. sold the car before they reached half tread so I can't speak to treadlife.

I have had good tread life out of the Revo2's, on my second set now. '00 Ford F250 7.3 4x4, I tow approx. 10k for 65-70% of all mileage I put on this truck. In my experiences, the Revos are an overall better tire than the BFG AT's, Procomp AT's and the Michelin LTX's that were previously on this truck. I run LT285/75/16 load range E's. I have had separation issues with BFG's (3 different trucks and over $4500 damage to 2 of those trucks due to tread separation killing a front fender/door and a bedside), Michelins like to have deep sidewall cracks before tread wears out, kinda worriesome when towing(though I really like the LTX MS2's on my wife's Sequoia), Procomp AT's wore rather quickly and were hard to keep balanced. I don't off-roading or go muddin', though many of my jobs require me to lock it in 4wd. The Revos require very little weight to balance, low noise(though driving a diesel may not allow me hear the tire noise), great wet/dry traction...the only downside of an E range Revo is that if you get a nail/screw puncture in the tire(leaking air), it requires a drill bit to enlarge the hole and a hammer to drive in the tire plug(jobsite repair before letting tire shop install a patch on the inside) . Good luck with your tire choice.

Last edited:
Lots of good choices out there these days. Tires I have firsthand experience with include the Firestone Destination AT, Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO, BFG All Terrain's, and Cooper Discoverer ATP (Discount Tire exclusive tire).

Of that group, the Firestone Destination AT was a good tire at a reasonable price. Good road manners, quiet with good tread life. The REVO's were good, quiet tires, however I never got the advertised tread life out them. The BFG's wore like iron, however, I didn't think as highly of the traction as the REVO's or Destinations.

I am currently trying out a set of the Cooper Discoverer ATP's on my F150. I've logged about 7,000 miles on the present set, and I am pleased to date. Good traction in all conditions, and not too bad on noise despite an aggressive tread pattern. Got an excellent price on a match from DiscountTireDirect with no hassle. Came in about $100 cheaper than the other decent options for the set.

BFG All Terrains are hard to beat. I've got a lot of miles off road and on road under my belt with BFG All Terrains. They're quiet on the highway, but not Michelin quiet. They behave well on the road and have great tread life. They also perform well off road, all of my off roading is in the desert on sharp rocks, I've never had a flat with them. The only downside is they aren't great in mud, they cake up and become slicks, but I'm sure many do that aren't dedicated mud terrains.

I had Michelin M&S on my Dmax they only lasted 40 K. I got stuck 4X where I always drove with GY Wranglers with no problem . Switched back to GY Adventures with Kevlar.
+ the GY Adventures have the snow flake rating.
The Adventures replaces 'the Silent Armor.. I think they are fantastic tire.
BTW I always got over 60K with the silent Armor in the past

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Srt20
Imo BFG are overpriced, over marketed, under performing tires. They wear out fast, belts break easy, and are generally loud tires.

IMO, one of the best tires on the market are Hankook DynaPro ATM. I have them on 2 of my trucks and have been super impressed. Not only are they cheaper, but they last way longer than any BFG I've ever had. They are quiet on the highway, but perform very good in snow. I'm not a mud guy, but they have performed good in the mud I've been in. They are a good looking tire as well.

Might want to cheap them out.

BFGs haven't evolved in 20 years. There are better tires on the market for sure.

I just pulled a set of Hankook ATM RF10s off my truck. They performed well in every condition. Lasted 40K on a truck that tows 10K+ on a weekly basis. They were still at about 6/32 but going into winter I wanted new tires. I probably left 10K miles on the plate.

This guy doesn't know squat, but the BFG that you said hasn't evolved in 20 years just got another update, and is now called KO2:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/baja-fresh-...terrain-ta-ko2/

And the old KO tire had the Snowflake, which very few A/T's or Snow Tires have- yes, A/T's and Snow Tires are often poor Winter tires, they are made for climbing or digging through snow off-road, not gripping a highway through it. Most of them. The old KO did fine, though. It got the snowflake rating.

For any one driving condition on or off-road you can always find one better tire, sure, but for consistent, race-winning, all-around good All Terrain tire in most driving conditions, the old A/T KO was never a bad choice.

Oh yeah, mine are 5 years old, have almost 30K on them, have done a whole lot of rock climbing, and they aren't even looking worn yet. So I'm not buying it that they wear out quickly... on a properly dialed-in front end, anyway.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back