Opinions On An All Terrain Tire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all. I'm seeking opinions on an all terrain tire for my truck. It needs new tires, and all terrain is the way to go for me. The truck is a 2003 Dodge Dakota Quad cab 4x4. Mileage will range from 150 to 200 miles a week, of mixed stop and go town, off road, and highway/interstate driving. I want a tire that does well off road, but also rides smooth and handles well on the paved roads. I've been researching the General Grabber AT2, as it looks like a good, solid option. I DO NOT want mudders, or anything overly aggressive. Factory size is 245/70/R16, and it has 245/75/R16's on it now. I was considering changing to 255/70/R16's as they are standard height, but slightly wider than stock. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Those Generals would probably serve you well.

I run Firestone Destination ATs on my F150. I have no complaints with either their on-road or off-road performance. Their wet traction is rock solid, too.

Just went through the same exercise for my 90. I wanted very good off-road capability w/ decent highway manners. I went for the BFG Commercial Tractions, replacing a set of BFG KM2's. The CT's ride well enough, are decent on the highway and are quieter and much better in the rain than the KM's. I've only had them off road a few times and nothing extreme, but they were great in the silty mud and wet gravel we were on.

I was concerned about running LT E tires on my truck, but a call to BFG's tech line took care of that; they said I was OK running at Rover's recommendations or a bit over if heavily loaded.

I haven't found out if the 255/70/16's are snow rated, but the 255/65/16's are not. Snow isn't a huge issue in my location, but we do get some snow here, so the peace of mind is wanted.

Imo BFG are overpriced, over marketed, under performing tires. They wear out fast, belts break easy, and are generally loud tires.

IMO, one of the best tires on the market are Hankook DynaPro ATM. I have them on 2 of my trucks and have been super impressed. Not only are they cheaper, but they last way longer than any BFG I've ever had. They are quiet on the highway, but perform very good in snow. I'm not a mud guy, but they have performed good in the mud I've been in. They are a good looking tire as well.

Might want to cheap them out.

The Nexen's look good too. I have a little bit of time before I can buy them (I'll have to sell a beater car first) but I want to buy a lasting tire. So far, the General's have had the most impressive tread pattern and reviews. I'm open to sizes too, but I don't think I want to go any wider than a 265 or any taller than a 70.

I believe those are the tires on the F-250 I just serviced this week. They seem to hold up well, as he can put 100,000 miles on a set of tires in a year or less.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
Imo BFG are overpriced, over marketed, under performing tires. They wear out fast, belts break easy, and are generally loud tires.

IMO, one of the best tires on the market are Hankook DynaPro ATM. I have them on 2 of my trucks and have been super impressed. Not only are they cheaper, but they last way longer than any BFG I've ever had. They are quiet on the highway, but perform very good in snow. I'm not a mud guy, but they have performed good in the mud I've been in. They are a good looking tire as well.

I've got over 40,000 miles on my BFG AT KO tires. They're still at greater than half tread depth remaining. I wouldn't call that quick to wear out. They work well in snow, sand, dirt, and on pavement. They've been 4 wheeling over shale and other sharp rocks (with my kids driving), taken some serious abuse, and never missed a beat. Next set of tires on my truck will be BFG AT KO too...

Go with the Generals they have good traction and wore well for me. Had them on my old truck. Will put them on my current truck when it's ready.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Don't go cheap, try the Michelin Cross terrain.
They don't make the Michelin Cross Terrain anymore.

I have experience with terra grapplers and they are a nice AT tire.

Right now I have toyo open country A/T II's on my F350 and I really like them
IMG_3438.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Srt20

I've got over 40,000 miles on my BFG AT KO tires. They're still at greater than half tread depth remaining. I wouldn't call that quick to wear out. They work well in snow, sand, dirt, and on pavement. They've been 4 wheeling over shale and other sharp rocks (with my kids driving), taken some serious abuse, and never missed a beat. Next set of tires on my truck will be BFG AT KO too...

+1. While Ill agree that Ive observed a belt breakage (on an older, non-KO variant), otherwise I agree with Astro 100%. Ive been so pleasantly surprised by the performance of the BFG AT that its all I use on my truck. Im due for another set, and it will be more of the same.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Don't go cheap, try the Michelin Cross terrain.
They don't make the Michelin Cross Terrain anymore.

Thats too bad...anything Michelin will do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back