Opinions: Best Non-Syn Dex III ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents:

I always like to use the best fluids for any given application... I have noted strong caveats re using any syn in the Jeep Cherokee AX4 transmission, and have taken heed.

That said, what are top-notch options re brands for non-syn DexIII??

Thanks for the input!

I'd install DEXRON VI from a GM dealership. It isn't a full synthetic fluid, but it has outperformed many synthetic DEXRON IIIH fluids on the market. In addition, it costs about $5.00/qt from most dealerships, or less when you do a 4-gallon drop order from gmpartsdirect.com.

For just regular old dino, Chevron ATF preforms decently for the price. I'm not sure what the pricing structure is for Chevron products in your area, it seems to vary widely.

I think regular changes and very conservative OCI's is more important to an automatic than what brand fluid you put in them. Of course you should use the correct spec fluid otherwise your clutches might be mighty unhappy.

Specialty Formulations Dex III. It is semi-synthetic I belive it is only 30% synthetic the rest is non-synthetic. IF you tell the owner what you need it to do he can custom blend if needed.

Fwiw, I put SuperTech DEXRON IIIH into the Saturn two weeks ago, and it works fine. I plan to change it every 15-20k miles anyway. It only costs $7.00/gal.

I started to use Valvoline Maxlife ATF, its $3.29 a quart, claims to have more additives, I cant say anything bad about it or good, just what I pick when I go to the store.

Another site I frequent that has cars that have almost 100% GM 4L60/4L60E transmissions in them and they routinely say not to use synthetic fluid in the tranny. No one can give a good reason why but several people claim they have wrecked their trannies using synthetic fluid or know people that have. My vehicle that has a 4L60E got Mobil1 Dexron III the last change 4 of 10 qts exchanged and no issues so far. I have another car that has a 4T65E transmission and I get 6 of 7 qts out of it each time and I changed it at 30,000 and 60,000 miles with Mobil 1 also and have had no issues with 65,000 on it currently. I plan to switch to the GM Dexron VI however since it appears to be a good fluid at a good price (compared to Mobil 1 price). Anyone have an explanation why synthetic transmission fluids could cause a problem?

There are no issues with a synthetic. There are issues with failing transmissions that will NOT be fixed by using a synthetic.

ANY mineral DexronIII-h is good enough. A blend(any multivehicle or MerconV), IMO is better. MA gets cold in the winter.

If the transmission is in excellent condition(not abused, has maintenance history), I'd use a full synthetic.
If the tranny is sloppy, has no maintenance history, has high miles, use the cheapest ATF you can get(supertech).
And, you if want to, upgrade to one of the high mileage ATFs like Valvoline or Pennzoil.

DexronVI is too expensive. Pepboys has the Pennzoil DexronVI for $6 a quart, thats pushing M1/RP territory. Even the GM dealers that I called wanted too much per quart. Not everyone wants to buy bulk cases at GMpartsdirect. Castrol/Pennzoil multivehicle ATFs and Valvoline ATF+4 are ~$4 a quart. I just don't see the cost benefit of DexronVI in a transmission that recieves regular maintenance.

I can get the Dexron VI for 4.72 a quart if I buy 4 gallons at a time which is no big deal for me. Cheaper than I was paying for Mobil 1. I have another vehicle that has been abused regularly over the years I've owned it towing more than it should and it has a 4T60E tranny and it has 196,000 miles on it and I've never had an issue. I've always changed the fluid at 30,000 mile intervals and have never used synthetic fluid. You are probably correct that Dexron VI is not necessary if regular maintance is performed. Regluar maintance is far more important than how much you spend on the fluid and if it is mineral or synthetic.

Now coming to maintance, I do 30K mile flushes to my tranny. I have once before dropped the pan and cleaned the magnets, how often does one have to clean the magnets!!

How dirty was that magnet?

Since the magnet, in some transmissions, is the only real filter, clean it whenever you feel like to. Pan removal is a hassle. Add a magnefine or magnet equipped filter kit and ignore the OEM pan magnet.

When I dropped the pan some 50K miles ago, there was a 1/4 inch layer on the magnets, but then on the bottom of the entire pan there was a thin gluey layer accumulated -- cleaned all of it with braker cleaner and reinstalled the pan. BTW, I hate dropping the pan, getting a new gasket, worrying about the 20 odd bolts if any one gets cross-threaded, then the cris-cross dance to put the bolts back etc.

I think I will add a filter in the path to be sure filtering is also happening over and above what the magnet can accumulate. This way I don't have to deal with the pan and its numerous bolts.

Check Schaeffers out ,204 dexron III for a great stable mineral oil,if into full Synt. Amsoil is the way to go hands down.BL

Wal-Mart Super Tech DexIII ATF is approved by GM for use in DexIII applications.

I have used it in a 4l60e in a K1500 with 160k miles on the original fluid! I did three drain refills. Now it has 15oz of LubeGard Red.

Truck shifts fine and smooth.

If you want to use a "name brand", maybe try the Super Tech for a few drain/refills, then switch to what ever you want to use.

Good luck.

If I were you I would go along with what The Critic said earlier and use DEXRON-VI.
I saw a copy of a paper that the GM people recently published through SAE and it really was an eye opener when it came to comparing the performance of DEXRON-VI with the DEXRON-III, amazing!
I can't find it though but I suppose there must be a way of getting it first hand.

My Saab has cheapy Pepboys Proline Dex III with Lubegard Red and my Honda, dare I say, has pure d Maxlife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back