Opinion on garage not having inspection license?

"Much ado about nuttin": C below.

Jersey: no safety ? In MA, 3rd highest wealth per cap, it'd B OK, may B. How bout chit boxes killin ppl. W/o safety inspect here a cop would hafta notice how bad the rig is 1st to (pull U over) prevent accidents (self or w/others).

Who saves $ ?
Not insur co,s as more fallin apart rigs = more accidents, more of those = more loss pay outs.
For drivers? Being told "I cant pass U" is the only time they ever do repairs and prevent even larger bills ('a stitch in time')?

Jersey: is free ?
I wonder how the staffing, machines, time is paid for.
That was painful ..

Virginia has a state safety inspection, regulated at $20. Some counties (near DC) have emissions inspection.

Cars in good repair have no problem with either.

The SL600 passed the state safety inspection last month, but I didn’t like how the lower torque (front control) arm bushings looked. They showed cracks when the car was up, which the inspector might not have seen if the car was on a drive on lift, or it might have looked OK to them.

I replaced the torque arms. Along with the adjacent ball joints. The ball joints were worn. Easy to move. But not loose. Passing, but I’m glad I replaced them.

It’s quite rare that I have a car that fails inspection.

I would gladly let @AutoMechanic look any one of my cars over for compliance! 😎

"Much ado about nuttin": C below.

Jersey: no safety ? In MA, 3rd highest wealth per cap, it'd B OK, may B. How bout chit boxes killin ppl. W/o safety inspect here a cop would hafta notice how bad the rig is 1st to (pull U over) prevent accidents (self or w/others).

Who saves $ ?
Not insur co,s as more fallin apart rigs = more accidents, more of those = more loss pay outs.
For drivers? Being told "I cant pass U" is the only time they ever do repairs and prevent even larger bills ('a stitch in time')?

Jersey: is free ?
I wonder how the staffing, machines, time is paid for.
CA... the model of enhanced emissions standards... has no safety inspection either.

MD... you have 1 comprehensive safety inspection, and after that, it's emissions only, until you sell the car or you buy a used car.

When I was a kid my dad had this garage he went to that done inspections. Then they got their license taken away for a little bit. In that time they would run the cars to a garage down the road to be inspected. He got his license back finally after 6 months and began doing them again. I didn’t trust that guy and still don’t. I don’t trust any of the cars he sells either. Just my judgment of his shop isn’t good. I don’t believe in our state you can charge labor for an inspection but I’m not sure. I’ve never paid labor to have mine done it’s just $20 used to be $16. You can charge labor on anything it needs to pass a state inspection like brakes etc. Personally I’d avoid the shop mentioned here but that’s just my judgment. I’m just glad where I live I’m not subject to the emissions testing. It only has to be done I think every two or three years if I remember correctly. Just if there is less than a certain amount of time left before it’s due you can’t renew your registration for more than one year. In Virginia we can do up to three. And Virginia doesn’t play around with state inspections. One wrong move could cost you your inspection license which is overseen by the Virginia state police. We had a guy here inspect a car sent it out with bad brakes customer come back a week or two later and state trooper pulled up and yanked the guys license. That could cost the shop their license too. Also you have to pretty much have a perfect driving record to be an inspector. I’ve read the book cover to cover more than once and done the test three times in front of a state trooper which is in itself nerve racking to say the least. If they decide to take your license for a year to get it reinstated you have to do it all over again in front of the trooper. Virginia allows you two attempts before having to wait a year the trooper in my area was nice enough to not count one and give me a third chance after talking with my manager about if I was a good tech and if I was lazy or not which he said they spoke nothing but highly of me which is why he made the decision to let me do it again. Which he is not a favorite to anyone but I will always be grateful he done that for me.

Back