Opinion on garage not having inspection license?

It's probably not illegal.
It is somewhat unethical.
If I take my car to that guy, I am paying him to apply his expertise to inspecting the vehicle.
I would not be getting my money's worth in that I am not receiving any automotive expertise.
Instead, I would be paying a doofus a fee to drive my vehicle to an automotive inspection station.
Why should I be paying the doofus an hour's labor to be driving my vehicle down to the Mavis Tire?
If I wanted the Mavis Tire to inspect the vehicle, I could do so myself in a manner that would not enrich the doofus.
In other words, I'd take it there myself.
You realize new cars dealers sublet work out all the time...don't you?

If I have suspension work done on a car, for instance, and the mechanic in question does not have an alignment rack when an alignment is required, that's relevant and justified.
If I take a car to a mechanic for an inspection, and I'm paying labor time for him to drive it somewhere to have an inspection done, that's ridiculous.
I've been around long enough to understand the concept of subletting work to meet a verifiable need or objective. I've also been around enough to recognize a Ben Dover when I see one.

If I have suspension work done on a car, for instance, and the mechanic in question does not have an alignment rack when an alignment is required, that's relevant and justified.
If I take a car to a mechanic for an inspection, and I'm paying labor time for him to drive it somewhere to have an inspection done, that's ridiculous.
I've been around long enough to understand the concept of subletting work to meet a verifiable need or objective. I've also been around enough to recognize a Ben Dover when I see one.
You didn't answer my question. So I will repeat it-

You didn't answer my question. So I will repeat it-

I answered the question.
You don't like the answer, that's your personal problem.

I took my Xterra to a well respected local shop for a heater core - just didn't have the time - they have like 3 bays. Dropped it off like 4:00PM night before - at like 8:30AM I get a call that its done?

Went over to pick it up and asked how it was done so fast, the owner told me they have a guy from one of the local dealers that comes and does all their heater cores. "Moonlighting". He comes after work and locks up after himself. If you do the same thing all the time you likely get good at it - mine has never leaked, or had any squeaks from the dash being out. Guess it was sort of "subbing out" but I am quite happy with the results. At the end of the day if you don't overpay and the work gets done - who cares how.

In my neck of the woods there are alot of smaller garages that do that. OP I am a little north of Harrisburg and these mom and pop places provide better service than the bigger garages. Some will take it to get inspected and some will not.

I would say 1) OP has no relationship w/mechanic; 2) small to no understanding re: state inspection process (license); 3) no understanding abt B2B (peer businesses, we form a community of neighbors & friends); 4) may not B a member of his own community/not trust of the garage owner.

Our shop does this all the time. We dont charge the exorbitant service fee many do (30$/hr not 150). Many Inspection stations charge quite abit to pay for the v e r y expensive inspect mo`chene (& ur convenience of stopping by their place)... They shuttle vehicles from the inspection bay to the service bay (see the windshield sticker asa chance to gouge more customers bya a fail or "question" - then service). Customers who get my flunkies drive toa friends inspec station know of the arrangement. We dont charge extra. We ck them over 1st, do what's needed to pass & have an agreement that if the inspec will fail them to not scrape the sticker off, NOT give a Reject Sticker (short time to get compliant v an expired sticker - if it's that close on time anyway) and call us to go the additional step to get passed (a marginal ball joint, etc). That way I stay turnin wrenches and it's a 3 way win (customer, bud w/inspect station, me). Not all is revealed on the surface. Develop relations w/folks in ur community, have open dialogue, we're not just grease monkeys but ppl w/care'n concern.

Luckily here in Florida no vehicle inspections or smog testing.

I would not mind paying more for easy inspections and a pass.

A State required Emission/Safety inspection cost $37 in NYC. The OBD is connected to a computer which goes directly to NYS DMV. Safety check includes all lights, tires, horn, emergency brake and they pull a wheel to check brakes. The shop pays NYS $6 for each sticker so they end up getting $31. In my neighborhood it's $37 CASH IN ADVANCE, pass or fail. If the car fails it gets a 10 day (I think) extension sticker to get it fixed. You do not have to have the inspection shop make the repairs. You can do it yourself or take it to another repair shop, but you have to pay another fee to get the defect reinspected. $10 for safety or $27 for emissions.

There are 2 reasons my shop charges CASH in advance. It seems some of my fellow Bronxites feel that if their car fails they don't have to pay. The other reason is that some people put the inspection on a credit card and then dispute the charge when the car fails.

I would say 1) OP has no relationship w/mechanic; 2) small to no understanding re: state inspection process (license); 3) no understanding abt B2B (peer businesses, we form a community of neighbors & friends); 4) may not B a member of his own community/not trust of the garage owner.

Our shop does this all the time. We dont charge the exorbitant service fee many do (30$/hr not 150). Many Inspection stations charge quite abit to pay for the v e r y expensive inspect mo`chene (& ur convenience of stopping by their place)... They shuttle vehicles from the inspection bay to the service bay (see the windshield sticker asa chance to gouge more customers bya a fail or "question" - then service). Customers who get my flunkies drive toa friends inspec station know of the arrangement. We dont charge extra. We ck them over 1st, do what's needed to pass & have an agreement that if the inspec will fail them to not scrape the sticker off, NOT give a Reject Sticker (short time to get compliant v an expired sticker - if it's that close on time anyway) and call us to go the additional step to get passed (a marginal ball joint, etc). That way I stay turnin wrenches and it's a 3 way win (customer, bud w/inspect station, me). Not all is revealed on the surface. Develop relations w/folks in ur community, have open dialogue, we're not just grease monkeys but ppl w/care'n concern.
First of all, I am a member of my community, been a member of the local church and do service work since 2008. Second off -- your grammar and punctuation is TERRRIBLE!!!!!! Nobody called anybody grease monkeys -- just asked a simple question -- AGAIN!!!! Keep fishing pal.....

"...keep fishin pal..."
da rant shows I caught U (un-
intended as I did not seek to fish).

Sorry if off, incorrect. The sentiment stands.
Talk to the guy'n C Y ur shock he'd take it elsewhere (then U will understand Y every repair shop is not an inspection station). I
call me self a grease monkey as some out there do, I'm reclaiming it.

No shame no pain, sorry U took it that way
meant to B speculative'n informative~

Place in small town that I live. Just opened up alittle over a year ago. Older gentleman that owned it retired and younger guy -- mid 30s purchased it off him. Come to find out he has no inspection license. Takes the vehicles down the road to a Mavis Tire to get them inspected and charges 1 hour labor for a 2 mile drive one way. I personally used to take my cars and truck there for inspection before Mr.Kurtz retired and he physically inspected them and slapped the stickers on himself or his mechanic.
Is he advertising inspections? Meaning, what's the context...I guess in a shop things are often hurried. If you mean 1 hour labor or $120 for the full inspection, it's expensive, but does it include everything? What would Mavis charge?

Here in PA, inspections are not cheap. They can be $90-$100, but everyone uses a coupon, or goes in where a shop is advertising. It's just funny that $29.95 in the ad, is $43 out the door. Everywhere. there are shop fees, sticker fees, sales tax., etc. I just accept the $43 number. With the BMW, I go to the dealer, and prior to 2020, would get a free loaner and it would cost $48 out the door because the BMW is exempt from emissions. I figured the free loaner for a day made it way cheaper net. But last year, for the first time since Dec. 2007, I sat and waited. Funny, my 2007 BMW 335 is the only car in our stable that has never failed an inspection. 15 straight passes. :)

Is he advertising inspections? Meaning, what's the context...I guess in a shop things are often hurried. If you mean 1 hour labor or $120 for the full inspection, it's expensive, but does it include everything? What would Mavis charge?

Dunno about $90-100

I paid $72 out door for my emissions and safety inspection. If you’re paying more than that; obviously the mech is nitpicking stuff or you need something to make it legal.
Here in PA, inspections are not cheap. They can be $90-$100, but everyone uses a coupon, or goes in where a shop is advertising. It's just funny that $29.95 in the ad, is $43 out the door. Everywhere. there are shop fees, sticker fees, sales tax., etc. I just accept the $43 number. With the BMW, I go to the dealer, and prior to 2020, would get a free loaner and it would cost $48 out the door because the BMW is exempt from emissions. I figured the free loaner for a day made it way cheaper net. But last year, for the first time since Dec. 2007, I sat and waited. Funny, my 2007 BMW 335 is the only car in our stable that has never failed an inspection. 15 straight passes. :)

If he is marking up the price of a safety inspection, imo that’s unethical, but if he’s not breaking any laws then it is not illegal. And if the customers are are knowingly paying him, then he is doing nothing wrong.

Back