Opinion on garage not having inspection license?

Jesus Christ almighty ...
Yep, I don't have much say for the going rate, it is what is . My guy is just $50 so I am glad for that. Dealers are the most and are to be avoided. Now if I lived in a county that doesn't require emission tests then its just $40-45 but I am not registered there, it goes by house address. So I have to get safety and emissions done and they will not do safety unless emission tests are done first. Such is life.

Typical inspection here in PA is $31-$34 with sticker and tax. No real profit in it anywhere unless they find something. So, I can understand why the guy would not pay to keep a PA inspectors license.

If you go to Jim-Bob's Uncle Brothers Sticker Slap Service it's $45... Not that I would know or anything... ;)

You forgot to say that you live in a NON EMISSIONS county so of course your price is lower.

I think it is similar to a shop subletting smog inspections to another facility.

Nothing wrong with it - it's just a poor value for the customer. But some customers do not mind paying for the convenience and perhaps the shop will also do the needed repair work to make sure the vehicle passes. For some people, that alone is worth the additional cost.

I think it is similar to a shop subletting smog inspections to another facility.

Nothing wrong with it - it's just a poor value for the customer. But some customers do not mind paying for the convenience and perhaps the shop will also do the needed repair work to make sure the vehicle passes. For some people, that alone is worth the additional cost.

The shop I use does take their emissions inspections to another shop. Since the “great event” of 2020; few of his techs couldn’t come back. So it makes perfect sense if you don’t have techs that are PA Safety and emissions not to do emissions inspections.

What all is involved for an inspection?

Where I’m at they just check all the Readyness Monitors and they pass or fail you based on what it says and that’s about it….

Now compare that to, say, Massachusetts…

How low is the bar there in Pennsylvania?

What constitutes an inspection?

What constitutes passing an inspection?

What constitutes passing to get an inspection sticker?

Does the State itself do NO inspections? Is it ALL private shops ?

In Pa, tire inspection including correct size, depth etc, suspension check, ball joints tie rods etc, no leaky shocks. Headlights for correct aim and all exterior lights are to be working, turn signals and 4 ways including fog lights if equipped. Brakes are checked for minimum depth.

Exhaust for leaks and rust and modifications. Horn and wipers must be working . Severe rust(large holes depending on location) will not be passed. No visible fuel leaks or fuel smells. The list goes on and I doubt depending on where you go that all is checked 100 percent but it is required.

Also required is a road test but I have only 1 place ever do that, most places consider the road test when they pull it in the garage;)

Windshield cracks are iffy 10 depending on location. There is a lot more, the inspection book is about 3/4 inch thick due to different scenarios(commercial vehicles) and all are done by private shops. All issues have to be corrected and most places will give you 10 days to do yourself to correct(some don't and will fail you and charge you but not all) and then inspect.

State does not do inspections BUT they do come out and inspect the stations and also check their books. Once again I don't think everyone follows this but who knows.

Years ago it was done 2x a year but since then changed to once a year.

Then of course you have the emissions testing and that another story but no check engine lights can be had that can cause or is causing issues with such. Emissions have to be done first before they do a safety check before they put stickers on unless you are not in an emissions mandated county.

Thats all I can think of at moment, having a late lunch putting up Christmas lights.

Last edited:
People may be bringing him cars that have failed the inspection for the repairs and he offers to take the car in after the repair to make sure that the work passes and you get your sticker. This avoids you having to run it back and forth and wait at both ends. You drop it with him and when you pick it up its done. You may have to pay his shop time but the convenience might be worth it. How many people pay $100 for an oil change so they dont have to get under their car.
Now if he is claiming to be an inspection station, thats a different story but he does not seem to be making a secret of how he conducts the procedure or what he charges so if a customer wants to pay the fee I dont see an issue. Like paying the Tag place a fee to get your plates for you because its more convenient.

In Pa, tire inspection including correct size, depth etc, suspension check, ball joints tie rods etc, no leaky shocks. Headlights for correct aim and all exterior lights are to be working, turn signals and 4 ways including fog lights if equipped. Brakes are checked for minimum depth. Exhaust for leaks and rust and modifications. Horn and wipers must be working . Rust on vehicle depending on severity will not be passed. No visible fuel leaks or fuel smells. The list goes on and I doubt depending on where you go that all is checked 100 percent but it is required.

Also required is a road test but I have only 1 place ever do that, most places consider the road test when they pull it in the garage;) Windshield cracks are iffy depending on location. There is a lot more, the inspection book is about 3/4 inch thick due to different scenarios and all are done by private shops. State does not do inspections BUT they do come out and inspect the stations and also check their books. Once again I don't think everyone follows this but who knows.

Years ago it was done 2x a year but since then changed to once a year.

My old Toyota Camrys shocks and struts leaked when I bought the car and leaked when I sold it. You are allowed leakage; not overly excessive leakage though. I never had to replace mine also

What all is involved for an inspection?

Where I’m at they just check all the Readyness Monitors and they pass or fail you based on what it says and that’s about it….

Now compare that to, say, Massachusetts…

How low is the bar there in Pennsylvania?

What constitutes an inspection?

What constitutes passing an inspection?

What constitutes passing to get an inspection sticker?

Does the State itself do NO inspections? Is it ALL private shops ?

Click on the PennDOT link I provided and see Pub45

IDK if any one has said this already but, take the vehicle to Mavis yourself.
How much does it cost for a PA State vehicle inspection?
Here in NYS, it’s $21/yr. IDK about NYC.

IDK if any one has said this already but, take the vehicle to Mavis yourself.
How much does it cost for a PA State vehicle inspection?
Here in NYS, it’s $21/yr. IDK about NYC.

It depends on the county you live in. More of the populated counties do emissions plus regular inspection and a member noted that can be upwards of $100.

I live in a non-emissions county and the place I use charges less than $35.

Dauphin county is an emissions county, so inspections would have to include emissions inspection on top of safety inspection, which is why it costs more than safety-only counties
both (safety/emissions) 35$ in MA (a 1 test stop).
Cars over 15 yrs still 35$ but duz not have to pass emissions.

Separate station/license/machines for bigger than F350/3500dodge cheb. (still 35$ I think).

We now have 4 cameras (each view) on the wrk/vehicle/inspector the whole inspection.

Soon the windshield sticker ("inspection date good till", ie 1 yr) must match the reg. Many do not get back to the station when they 'should' and
have mismatches (Y is this gong 2 B a new requirement? Cop hasa puter at his right hand, knows it ina flash / U went by a bit... or alot). Sticker on rear plate is replaced w/new every yr re-register (mine sez "23" right now - for nxt yr)

Instead of this stuff I wish they'd work on better drug/alcohol & driving measures.

In Pa... Years ago it was done 2x a year but since then changed to once a year.
yeah, massachusetts WUZ 2X as well but just lghts, horn, tires, wipers, no WS crack w/in blade swipe, (may B seat belts) solid exh frnt to back. It left that long ago and has a good system now (I'd say), same state-wide. Some repair stations inspect (hire a certified inspector - ur bro? and have an expensive machine, B linked [satellite? co-ax?] to the Commonwealth's Dept of M. V.) hang an inspect sign etc, etc.

It depends on the county you live in. More of the populated counties do emissions plus regular inspection and a member noted that can be upwards of $100.

I live in a non-emissions county and the place I use charges less than $35.
My daughter lived in CentreCounty(State College) for 10 years and has now moved back to ROC. I’ll have to ask her out of curiosity what she was charged for her PA State Vehicle Inspection.

both (safety/emissions) 35$ in MA (a 1 test stop).
Cars over 15 yrs still 35$ but duz not have to pass emissions.

Separate station/license/machines for bigger than F350/3500dodge cheb. (still 35$ I think).

We now have 4 cameras (each view) on the wrk/vehicle/inspector the whole inspection.

Soon the windshield sticker ("inspection date good till", ie 1 yr) must match the reg. Many do not get back to the station when they 'should' and
have mismatches (Y is this gong 2 B a new requirement? Cop hasa puter at his right hand, knows it ina flash / U went by a bit... or alot). Sticker on rear plate is replaced w/new every yr re-register (mine sez "23" right now - for nxt yr)

Instead of this stuff I wish they'd work on better drug/alcohol & driving measures.
NJ is free, then they got rid of safety inspection to save money

"Much ado about nuttin": C below.

Jersey: no safety ? In MA, 3rd highest wealth per cap, it'd B OK, may B. How bout chit boxes killin ppl. W/o safety inspect here a cop would hafta notice how bad the rig is 1st to (pull U over) prevent accidents (self or w/others).

Who saves $ ?
Not insur co,s as more fallin apart rigs = more accidents, more of those = more loss pay outs.
For drivers? Being told "I cant pass U" is the only time they ever do repairs and prevent even larger bills ('a stitch in time')?

Jersey: is free ?
I wonder how the staffing, machines, time is paid for.

Back