Oops. 25k miles on oil on Mazda RX-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kbohip72
I ran the car around the block after the oil change and by then the dipstick already looked like the 3,500 mile old oil in my car!

That's normal. I've changed the oil with as little as 1000 miles on it and it looks black (although has more viscosity than if I do it at 3000 miles).

Personally, I think the RX8's are some of the biggest pos's on the road today.

Really? Tell your sister to sell it quickly and get a Cobalt.

I know a guy who bought an expensive Lawn Boy 2-stroke mower, and never mixed the fuel with 2-stroke oil until the engine wore out prematurely. He swears lawn boy makes the [censored] mower, and they're the worst things out there.

But ask any professional landscaper if they would like to trade their fleet in for a set of 3.5hp Craftsmans from Sears, so that they can save a step and tell me what their reply is. Some people just overestimate their capabilities and level of understanding. It's been said over and over that a rotary engine just isn't for everyone.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: f2racer

That's right, Mazda makes a car that floods if you don't run it for a few minutes after starting it, then they have their dealers "fix it" by installing new super expensive Iridium spark plugs.

I know this was a problem with very early model RX-7s, but thought that it has been fixed for a long time. I've never flooded my 93 RX-7 in spite of the fact there have been plenty of times I've run the car for well under a minute just to get it out of the driveway (3 cars + 1 row driveway).

Hard starting in cold weather and the oil turns white in very cold weather but according to the dealer that's normal as well.

Is that white oil on the underside of the oil filler cap? Have you checked to see if there is any oil in the coolant? How much white smoke occurs after you startup bone cold?

Her car floods almost every time she doesn't let it run long enough. The problem was definitely not fixed as of the 2004 models. I think I read that Mazda fixed the problem in the '06 RX8's by adding a beefier starter.

As for the white oil? It's on the dipstick, but only in very cold weather. Mazda said this is perfectly normal as the engine can't warm up the oil enough in very cold weather (20F or below). I have no idea if they are right or not but it sure would make me nervous to see that if it were my car.

Originally Posted By: ItsuMitsubishi

Personally, I think the RX8's are some of the biggest pos's on the road today.

It's been said over and over that a rotary engine just isn't for everyone.
21.gif

Yea, like people who want torque, reliability, un-suv like gas mileage, etc.
56.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back