Oops. 25k miles on oil on Mazda RX-8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went over yesterday to help my sister get her Mazda RX-8 started. She had flooded it by not letting it run for over 2 minutes after she started it. It takes around 30-40 minutes to the car started via jump starting so as I was in the car cranking it I noticed the oil change sticker. It said change it at 40k miles or October of 2008. The odometer read over 61k. Hmmm.

I told her she must have a really old sticker and she said that no, it was the last time the oil was done! I was in fact the last one that changed it for her over 2 years and 25k miles ago.
33.gif
She told me she wasn't too concerned about changing it as since the car uses oil at the rate of about 1qt per 1k miles, it always had some new oil in it. I told her it doesn't really work that way.

Anyway I let her know if she brought it over to my house I'd be happy to change it for her. I wonder if there's been any engine damage done though? This engine is notoriously hard on oil and revs to 9k rpms. She drives the car pretty hard too.

I honestly think that with an engine that consumes that much oil that it really doesn't need to be changed, you just need to change the oil filter every 10k and you're good to go. Think about it, in the past 25k it has had 25 quarts of make up oil added, so that's like the equivalent of an oil change every 5k (assuming it has a 5qt oil capacity). The additive package is constantly being replenished, so the TBN is always going to be strong, and the engine should be kept pretty clean too.

Oh no, I hope she was at least using a good synthetic. Check the dipstick and oil-filler cap for varnish. You may use an oil that does a good job of cleaning the engine- one of the Pennzoils- like the Ultra. This would be a very interesting UOA to Blackstone...I'd do that too.

Originally Posted By: HK_Ace
Oh no, I hope she was at least using a good synthetic.

I think Mazda recommends against using synthetic oil in their rotary engines, at least I know they used to a few years ago.

Not if she keeps it topped up and doesn't let it get low. I still call it what it is - neglect - and a good recipe for sludge.

Mobil did an oil study where they likened top up oil to a time machine. But they also recommended changing the filter at 12k, and the filter they're probably basing it on is their own branded filter, which is about as good as they get.

I wouldn't necessarily assume damage unless there are some symptoms present. In any case, I'd run a good PEA cleaner through it like Redline or Regane, followed by a few short OCIs just to clean it out.

-Spyder

It's lucky those 25k miles were only going back and forth to church...... lord only knows what's going on inside that engine.

If she has really had to add over 20 quarts of new oil in two years, I would be more concerned about a stopped up oil filter than I would about the oil. How much oil does it hold? I would bet that a UOA would give reasonably good results, considering it must be having, in effect, an oil change every 6 or 7 thousand miles. If you change it for her, it would be interesting to have a UOA done, and cut open the filter to see its condition.

No syn allowed in this rotary. Yoikes! I have been shopping a used rx8. Ill try to avoid that one :) BTW, Hows that puppy handle?
-
edit: oh and 2x seeing THAT filter cut open. Wix 51365, Oui?

Last edited:
Well, she's getting new oil every 4K miles. The RX-8 (i think) only has a 4qt sump capacity. So it's had 25 quarts of oil through it. The filter is another story. Based on that rate of oil consumption, I bet this engine fared pretty well, all things considered. Of course, the rapid oil consumption may be due to the fact that it didn't get changes. 1Qt/1K is a lot, even for a rotory. But that prolly saved her engine, kinda killing two STONES with one BIRD on this one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HK_Ace
Oh no, I hope she was at least using a good synthetic. Check the dipstick and oil-filler cap for varnish. You may use an oil that does a good job of cleaning the engine- one of the Pennzoils- like the Ultra. This would be a very interesting UOA to Blackstone...I'd do that too.

Not synthetic as they are not recommended for rotary engines. I forgot to say that she uses Pennzoil 5W-20. I also forgot to mention that the car is driven 95% city.

Better not be using synthetic in that car, we get major warnings from Mazda to not put synthetic in on either customer pay or Mazda pay oil changes. If I were you I would not touch this car anymore, anything that happens and you will be at fault according to her. I can tell you that engines for these cars are not cheap, I have billed out numerous ones for engine failures.

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Well, she's getting new oil every 4K miles. The RX-8 (i think) only has a 4qt sump capacity. So it's had 25 quarts of oil through it. The filter is another story. Based on that rate of oil consumption, I bet this engine fared pretty well, all things considered. Of course, the rapid oil consumption may be due to the fact that it didn't get changes. 1Qt/1K is a lot, even for a rotory. But that prolly saved her engine, kinda killing two STONES with one BIRD on this one.

She says "she thinks" it uses about 1qt every 1k miles. Keep in mind she doesn't pop the hood unless she sees the oil level gauge light come on. Notice I said oil level gauge, not pressure gauge. The RX-8's come with a oil level gauge on the dash as they know the car will burn more than a quart between oil changes.

Last edited:
RUN..don't walk away from this car. the engine will blow and you will be blamed for changing the oil.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
I would hate to be the next owner of this car.

Oh, plus a BIG one to this!

If she used mineral oil, I'd say get that filter changed and she'll be fine. PROVIDED SHE ACTUALLY ADDS THE MAKEUP OIL.

***note to self, don't ever buy a car that consumes this much oil or that floods if you don't treat it right after initial start-up.***

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kbohip72
Originally Posted By: tinmanSC

She says "she thinks" it uses about 1qt every 1k miles. Keep in mind she doesn't pop the hood unless she sees the oil level gauge light come on. Notice I said oil level gauge, not pressure gauge. The RX-8's come with a oil level gauge on the dash as they know the car will burn more than a quart between oil changes.

I wouldn't touch it. She's completely neglecting and abusing the engine. One oil change isn't going to prolong its life very long, and she'll learn the hard way when the light comes on just before it blows. Expensive lesson, but the only way it seems she'll learn it. Maybe then she'll take better care of her next car.

-Spyder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back