Only took an hour to dispose of some used oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have huge recycling centers in most cities around here. They are publicly funded through a oil/container/filter/beverage container, etc deposit program. You can take just about anything in there for recycling.

I have a big garbage can I throw all my beverage containers into and take it in when it's full. In the garage I have two 5 gallon pails for used filters and my used oil goes back into the 4L jugs I bought it in. About twice a year I'll take in 2 pails full of filters and 20+ jugs of used oil. They take it all, including the containers. I just sign the log book and leave.

quote:

Originally posted by merlin64:

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:
weird, I always return used oil at autozone. the customer service is so bad there, no one acknowledges me. I don't say anything. I walk straight in the back, dump all my used oil in their container. walk out of the store. no log in or anything. they don't say anything while I leave either. I guess I'm one bad lookin dude.
tongue.gif
grin.gif

That's pretty much what I do too. The first time I used the particular store by my house I asked them where the oil recycling was. They just pointed to the back. Now I just walk right in behind the counter to the back, dump the oil, and head out. Takes 1 min tops. The clerks seem lazy and most of the time they don't even look at me and no one has ever said anything.

Exactly the same for me. Only time anyone said anything to me was when I asked where I dump the used oil. Since then I just walk in, do my thing, and walk out. No one says nuthin. I only wish they had a filter crusher so I could recycle filters too.

Used oil makes a great fire starter if you are able to burn in your area. You dont need much kindling if u have your used oil. I normally save all of mine in windshield washer bottles and use it on camp fires to start them when i have a chance. It also does a great job on burning stumps out since it gets down and follows the roots.

never tried to recycle used oil here in mass.. but when i lived in ct there was a small shed at my towns highway department where you just drive up, and can drop off used oil, batteries, and i forget what else

quote:

Originally posted by Alex P.:
We let people dump their own oil, no problem, they just have to ask and fill out the log. I don't really care what container it is in, as long as it is mostly oil. One guy was POed because we didn't dump it for him! I can't abandon people at the counter to dump oil, and its not like we're charging for the service of accepting used oil. What's worse is that he acted like he would grudgingly dump it on his own, made a huge mess and stormed off, leaving me to clean up nasty oil at my first convenience.
frown.gif

Another rude, spoiled rotten customer who is a product of the "cutomer is always right". Its a wonder retail chains can keep any decent people with jerks like that abusing the help.

The local Advance takes mine. I just ask for permission to walk to the back, dump and go. mikemc is right on.. Whatever happened to common courtesy when asking someone to do something for you?

The local Autozone refused 1 qt of ATF (from a power steering system) since they 'don't have a barrel for it.' Seriously, is ATF really THAT different from motor oil?!?

I dropped it off at my mechanic the next morning.

ATF is basically the same substance. It's all refined petroleum, just different weights and additive packages. The problem is ingorance, as in most people assume trans fluid is some completely different entity than oil.

I get containers from the local John Deere dealership. I fill them, return them, and then they burn it in their oil burner.

I just put ATF in my engine oil container and mix it..dump it in the tank. no questions asked

Feel free to mix ATF, Power Steering Fluid and Brake Fluid with oil for recycling.

The only fluids you cannot mix with oil for are gasoline and anti-freeze.

Well add me to the PO'ed Wal of China Mart customer list.

I waited in line for 30 minutes just to check out.

The idiot at the counter kept leaving to flirt with other guys hanging out and he had the cash register tied up while the customer ahead of me decided to go do some shopping for sneakers.

People behind me in line we starting to get really frustrated, but there was no one else to work the register.

Worst customer service I've seen in a long , long time. I'm half tempted to call the Wam Mart manager in the AM.

I emptied my oil jug at Kragen's just last week. As usual I walked in carrying my jug labeled "Ansulite 3%", I took it right to the stock room and poured it into the big square recycler. I then signed my named as Roger Penske, no joke. It took all of 15 minutes.

**** man all the times I've ever dropped off oil at Pepboys it's taken me 5 minutes. I don't let them give me **** either. If they do I'd just leave it on the floor and go home. Last time I went to Autozone their lazy asses told me to go in the back and dump the oil in a barrel my self. I took all five bottles opened them up and left them on top of the barrel for them to do themselves.

i dump mine from the oil drain pan into the dumpster...it soaks down among the cardboard and kitty litter everyone else has dumped down there.

No, i dont advocate YOU doing this...if we all did it, we would have a mess...just as long as i am the only one, it wont be an issue...or if it is, the future generations need some problems of their own to sort out...afterall, THEY have all the answer!!!

just imho, ymmv
darrell
sin city

Some of the Autozones around here are always "full" and do everything possible to avoid taking the oil. I usually just drop off a jug after closing hours. Its amazing that there is always room for the 'abandoned' oil in their recycling tanks.

I just take it to the closest Jiffy Lube. Dump it myself & I'm gone. No ugly stares, no hassles & no chance of their tank being full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back