One step away from the Stone Age

You do not want a monopoly of any source.

If your whole grid is coal powered the coal industry / union can go on strike and gouge you (UK remember?) Same for oil, same for natural gas, same for nuclear. The more you diversify even for non environmental reason, the better for bargaining power.

You do need a way to stabilize the grid so they don't go duck curve though.

Not if you aren't in a market. Bruce nuclear and OPG both get paid the same no matter what demand looks like. Fixed-rates for the generators also allow for very long-term plannings as revenue is easy to predict.

I am not sure if this is the right observation of Texans. I don't think they would choose to go back to utility regulations or mandate / pay for certain infrastructure enhancement for these "once in decades" event. They would likely start buying pickup trucks with generator capability instead, because you cannot trust government.
This is actually pretty funny if you think about it. They put together a system that failed because they didn't trust government. Meanwhile the two other grids out there with government regulation didn't fail. It would seem that their trust was misplaced right?

This is actually pretty funny if you think about it. They put together a system that failed because they didn't trust government. Meanwhile the two other grids out there with government regulation didn't fail. It would seem that their trust was misplaced right?
To be fair they do have good points. You cannot protect against all things even if the government has the best intentions (which is unlikely in their believes).

You still need to drive out of town in a natural disaster and you can pack your pickup and drive away, and still have a generator to go with you. As long as you have gas, guns, and ammos you can survive for a few more weeks.

Not if you aren't in a market. Bruce nuclear and OPG both get paid the same no matter what demand looks like. Fixed-rates for the generators also allow for very long-term plannings as revenue is easy to predict.
Everything is eventually in the market when the "market" do political smear about how unfair and inefficient the fixed rates vs market rates are. Politicians can be bought and you know how it end up.

Everything is eventually in the market when the "market" do political smear about how unfair and inefficient the fixed rates vs market rates are. Politicians can be bought and you know how it end up.

Keep in mind, our largest generator is public. Canada is still mostly public on the power gen side, it's primarily just Alberta and some recent additions in Ontario (other than Bruce) that are private.

Read more closely.

No graviton. The particle analog of the gravity wave.

His physics discussion is at a high level.
Gravity is gravity, regardless of exactly what's causing it, or the theory of "graviton". My point is - if gravity could be controlled the world is open to all kinds of new technology.

El Paso seemed to do o.k. last week. They claim to have ties with other grids and that they made needed adjustments after the 2011 incident.

Gravity is gravity, regardless of exactly what's causing it, or the theory of "graviton". My point is - if gravity could be controlled the world is open to all kinds of new technology.
That's the problem. Gravity is one of those things that's up there with dark matter and dark energy. There's no real understanding of what causes it, whether it's a particle/field/boson, only the effects. You need to understand something first before you can think of building something to control it. But it's such a weak force I doubt you'll ever be able to build a machine to control it. It's sort of like proving hawking radiation. In theory, if it were true, black holes would give of heat, but it's so low in sub single digits, you could never build anything to measure it here on earth, only way to do it would be to find a mini black hole about to flash out of existence. But the difference there is that the theory exists, some math can be done and then you realize it'd be pretty impossible to engineer that kind of thermometer on a regular black hole.

But your antigravity machine, no idea how it would work and no theoretical blueprints on how to even build it. I hesitate to use the word impossible, but it's highly improbable on a very high order.

That's the problem. Gravity is one of those things that's up there with dark matter and dark energy. There's no real understanding of what causes it, whether it's a particle/field/boson, only the effects. You need to understand something first before you can think of building something to control it. But it's such a weak force I doubt you'll ever be able to build a machine to control it. It's sort of like proving hawking radiation. In theory, if it were true, black holes would give of heat, but it's so low in sub single digits, you could never build anything to measure it here on earth, only way to do it would be to find a mini black hole about to flash out of existence. But the difference there is that the theory exists, some math can be done and then you realize it'd be pretty impossible to engineer that kind of thermometer on a regular black hole.

But your antigravity machine, no idea how it would work and no theoretical blueprints on how to even build it. I hesitate to use the word impossible, but it's highly improbable on a very high order.
Yes I agree, gravity is lacking in understanding ... it's pretty much been that way ever since Newton saw the apple fall off the tree. But that doesn't mean it has to be that way forever. I'm simply saying someday it might be fully understood. Mankind was riding around on horses 130 years ago ... now he's landing rovers on Mars and sending back color high definition video of that mission. And look at everything else that's happened with technology. What is science going to discover another 130 years from now, or 1300 years from now. If we all had the chance to "pop in" to what's going on on Earth 130 years from now we might be amazed, or we might be disappointed that we didn't even make it that far, lol.

Yes I agree, gravity is lacking in understanding ... it's pretty much been that way ever since Newton saw the apple fall off the tree. But that doesn't mean it has to be that way forever. I'm simply saying someday it might be fully understood. Mankind was riding around on horses 130 years ago ... now he's landing rovers on Mars and sending back color high definition video of that mission. And look at everything else that's happened with technology. What is science going to discover another 130 years from now, or 1300 years from now. If we all had the chance to "pop in" to what's going on on Earth 130 years from now we might be amazed, or we might be disappointed that we didn't even make it that far, lol.
It wasn't very long ago we did Accounting manually. Then came calculators.
Now we have Data Scientists coding incredible models on many millions of rows of bad data.

When I took a year of Accounting in college, we were allowed to use calculators but were told the people who wanted to become certified should do our work manually.
I have personally built statistical forecasting models (Linear Regression) using a rolling 4 quarter set of sales data.
We were talking about coding Polynomial Regression.
I have an incredible outlook on science to solve our problems. It takes desire to do so.
Accepting a crisis every decade or so is unacceptable, in my opinion. Kinda like throwing in the towel and quitting. I've seen better.

It wasn't very long ago we did Accounting manually. Then came calculators.
Now we have Data Scientists coding incredible models on many millions of rows of bad data.

When I took a year of Accounting in college, we were allowed to use calculators but were told the people who wanted to become certified should do our work manually.
I have personally built statistical forecasting models (Linear Regression) using a rolling 4 quarter set of sales data.
We were talking about coding Polynomial Regression.
I have an incredible outlook on science to solve our problems. It takes desire to do so.
Accepting a crisis every decade or so is unacceptable, in my opinion. Kinda like throwing in the towel and quitting. I've seen better.
The problem is, once an investment is packaged and sold, it is no longer the originator's problem. Nobody wants to hold a long term investment anymore when interest rate is 0%, it is much easier to just sell it to the next person to hold the bag now, and go look for the next opportunity.

The problem is, once an investment is packaged and sold, it is no longer the originator's problem. Nobody wants to hold a long term investment anymore when interest rate is 0%, it is much easier to just sell it to the next person to hold the bag now, and go look for the next opportunity.
Then future generations just may be doomed. Personally, I rarely think in short term stuff. Long term is my standard.

Back