One step away from the Stone Age

Up here in the frozen north some nat gas utilities use peak shaving plants that bring in LNG with tractor trailers then vaporize the liquid to gas which is fed to the system. Perhaps some southern utilities will consider something like this.

Up here in the frozen north some nat gas utilities use peak shaving plants that bring in LNG with tractor trailers then vaporize the liquid to gas which is fed to the system. Perhaps some southern utilities will consider something like this.
Up in northern Alberta there is a LNG plant at Grand Prairie that was called into action to supplement gas to the utility further north. Normally, the gas was used to power drilling rigs back around 2014, but drilling activity went downhill freeing up capacity.

In some locations the proper lightning protection system that will really do the job for a building with a metal flue pipe sticking out of the roof can cost more than all the rest of the stove instillation.

Was looking at a few maps and as recently as 2018 … only 11 states had electric rates as low as Texas …
Except when you get an electric bill for $17,000 for 3 days use of electricity. :oops: :D

Except when you get an electric bill for $17,000 for 3 days use of electricity. :oops: :D
25-January bill was $102 … as some of us stated - people were playing with fire on rates - maybe something they learned on Reddit 😷 (although nobody is going to pay that). Just got a note from att saying no overcharge for text/talk/data during the worst period

How will that scale to a community scale? 500k residents all filling bath tub at the same time? It won't work.

Google what happen if everyone flush the toilet at the same time and see what's the answer.

Extremely unlikely to happen unless gubmint announces everyone fill their tubs at 8 am and flush at exactly 3 pm and since people can't seem to follow directions...

If your point is the time to prepare for an emergency is not while the emergency is unfolding absolutely. But it happens every time, witness empty shelves and long lines after the fact. Some choose to make a little effort and not be involved in the panicked masses.

Gee, I wonder who is gonna pay those crazy bills?
Asking for a friend with a $17,000 bill.
The tax payers is what I was hearing. Some people had thousands of dollars taken out of their bank account because they had their bills setup on autopay. Good luck getting that money back.

Last edited:
Lots of lessons to be learned there sadly. For starters IMO wind turbines and solar panels need some tweaking. Especially if the plan is to go all EV.
27.gif
Yes. You need to learn the lesson that wind and solar had nothing to do with this.
Texas' desire for an independent grid and "you can't tell us what to do" attitude is much more culpable.

Yes. You need to learn the lesson that wind and solar had nothing to do with this.
Texas' desire for an independent grid and "you can't tell us what to do" attitude is much more culpable.

OK. When I see frozen wind turbines, and solar panels like my neighbors covered in snow rendered useless it makes me wonder just how reliable a source of energy they really are.

OK. When I see frozen wind turbines, and solar panels like my neighbors covered in snow rendered useless it makes me wonder just how reliable a source of energy they really are.
Well of courses they were never that "reliable" to begin with. No power at night and on cloudy or windless days. Whatever made you think they were reliable? And of course if you don't winterize something, don't be surprised if it freezes and doesn't work in below freezing weather. Solar and wind could never be used as a baseload plant where they run 24/7. You need nuclear, gas, coal and maybe hydro for that.

Well of courses they were never that "reliable" to begin with. No power at night and on cloudy or windless days. Whatever made you think they were reliable? And of course if you don't winterize something, don't be surprised if it freezes and doesn't work in below freezing weather. Solar and wind could never be used as a baseload plant where they run 24/7. You need nuclear, gas, coal and maybe hydro for that.
I never said of thought they were good, or reliable, I was making a point. They're also big and ugly. lol

No electricity source is designed for all scenarios. Nuclear and coal included. Most of the time our power goes out because the powerline is down, and you cannot avoid that even if your solar and wind are running.

These variable rate contract should have a breaker switch that said disconnect at certain price. You need to have a way to stop and say no, at the cost of black out, instead of paying that much.

No electricity source is designed for all scenarios. Nuclear and coal included. Most of the time our power goes out because the powerline is down, and you cannot avoid that even if your solar and wind are running.

These variable rate contract should have a breaker switch that said disconnect at certain price. You need to have a way to stop and say no, at the cost of black out, instead of paying that much.
I agree, and as I said earlier lessons will be learned from what happened in TX. Hopefully.

Solar and Wind? It's the coming thing. Check Germany and China. I would guess that buggy whip and horse shoe manufacturers had a similar conversation.

Back