One step away from the Stone Age

They are also banned in many places. Yep, banned. They contribute to particulate air pollution - it's an anti-smog measure.
God help us. I have a wood burning insert and burn4-6 full cords a year with it, and have done so for the 22+ years I lived in this house. This is the first I'm hearing of that, but then again I haven't stumbled upon it, or inquired about it.

We had, and used, wood fireplaces in our house in Vermont. Modern house, net energy loss, but a nice amenity to be enjoyed.

They were banned in the six county metro area in which I lived in Colorado - smog.

In the 1978 ice storm in Connecticut, which collapsed the Civic Center roof after two feet of snow and a few inches of frozen liquid water, we were without power for six days. Six days is a long time. The wood fireplaces in the 1938 house in which we lived provided the only heat. When it's below freezing outside, the fireplace did add some heat, though the house was slowly cooling the entire time.

But to the point of disaster preparedness, I live in hurricane country now. We are prepared. Food, water, prescription meds, chainsaw gas and chains, tools, alternative heat (gas fireplace with line), alternative cooking (gas grill with line, or Coleman stove with fuel).

After that Ice Storm, numerous blizzards in Colorado and Vermont, a few Hurricanes in Texas and Virginia, I am always prepared. Even my truck and car has tools, blanket, food, water, spare clothing.

In a real disaster, those who are prepared manage through it with less stress, and less risk, than those who are not. Sure, I'll help my neighbor, but there are limits: e.g. I can't make their meds magically appear if they haven't thought ahead.

Want to read an interesting book?

"One Second After" by William Fortschen. A novel about what happens to people and society after an EMP event actually does put them back into the stone age.

God help us. I have a wood burning insert and burn4-6 full cords a year with it, and have done so for the 22+ years I lived in this house. This is the first I'm hearing of that, but then again I haven't stumbled upon it, or inquired about it.
Major contributor to Smog in the Denver area. The ban dates back to the 1980s, I believe. Even if you had one, I am not certain that you can use it.

Everything old is new again.

We are a spoiled people. Most of us don't have the skills and things needed to "weather the storm".
Agree and most look to "others" and blame "others" (no politics allowed=others) for not taking care of them.
Here in SC we will always have heat in the winter IF we ever needed it. Even though our home is a little bit on the larger side, we do have a gas fireplace that would keep it from pipes freezing.
But whatever, snowflakes love to blame "others" for events outside the normal but they hate paying to be protected from everything and everyone. Always looking to blame their sugar daddy (no politics) when bad things happen.

Major contributor to Smog in the Denver area. The ban dates back to the 1980s, I believe. Even if you had one, I am not certain that you can use it.
All kidding aside I learned something new today. I remember them putting catalytic converters of sorts in them many years ago when we had a house in PA. We opted out of that and went with a Jotul stove that didn't have it. Same for the insert I have in my house in NY.

Water, Clothes, Shelter, Food, Fire, Firearms, Soap, First Aid. I have all these and frankly water is the largest PITA. But rapidly the most critical!

I never consider myself prepared enough, but I am not nuts about it either. Earthquake, Tsunami.

The first wave will be people who need meds to live. Followed by other huge waves..............

Was just thinking about propane for those without fireplaces. The propane exchange places would be sold out fast. The propane filling place near me needs electricity to run it’s filling pump and the guy does not have a generator hooked in.

Watching the news I can't understand people needing to stand in line for food after a couple of days. I can't think of a time in my adult life that I (we) couldn't go a week at least with what was in the house, with no planning. Might be some strange combos, peanut butter and beans or whatever, but we would eat. Drinking water is the #1 priority in a short term emergency. As for flushing, you can go out back and dig a hole and deal with it later, IT'S AN EMERGENCY.

Water in the bathtub was mentioned, there are bladders made to fit in the tub for an emergency, no reason not to have one for every tub in your house.

And a Coleman propane stove and half a dozen propane canisters. You can get a hose that adapts a 20# propane bottle to the Coleman stove if you want to get a bit more serious.

Last December my daughter was communicating with a former coworker who had moved back to China and we were forewarned about what was actually happening before China shut down the internet. We were able to get her outfitted and stocked up before the mass panic buying started. Being prepared for something like what happened in Texas doesn't take much effort but sadly most people affected won't bother once they put it behind them and the rest think it won't happen to them.

There are no burn days regularly in the Phoenix metro during the winter, the smog from fireplaces gets so bad. In an emergency who cares.

Even in places where they are not banned the increase in homeowners insurance make them cost prohibitive. Many insurance companies will not provide coverage at any price if you burn wood inside your home.
Fortunately we don’t have that problem but they do ask that the fireplace or stove was installed by a professional installer. No do-it-yourself jobs allowed.

Agree and most look to "others" and blame "others" (no politics allowed=others) for not taking care of them.
Here in SC we will always have heat in the winter IF we ever needed it. Even though our home is a little bit on the larger side, we do have a gas fireplace that would keep it from pipes freezing.
But whatever, snowflakes love to blame "others" for events outside the normal but they hate paying to be protected from everything and everyone. Always looking to blame their sugar daddy (no politics) when bad things happen.
You're ignoring the obvious. I have no choice to my electricity provider. I have no idea how they were chosen decades ago but who keeps them in line? It's in their best interest as a for profit company to fix problems when they happen and what is their incentive to pay overtime to accomplish this faster. It's in my best interest for them to harden the grid so that power doesn't go out due to a storm. How do we reconcile those two opposing goals? Public utilities need government regulation or the local monopolies need to end. I don't recall anyone giving options of lower utility bills with higher risk of catastrophe vs higher bills with lower risk of catastrophe. And who decides the acceptable profit margin for public utilities?

Common sense should be the #1 need of to haves on the list of to preparations.

We had, and used, wood fireplaces in our house in Vermont. Modern house, net energy loss, but a nice amenity to be enjoyed.

They were banned in the six county metro area in which I lived in Colorado - smog.

In the 1978 ice storm in Connecticut, which collapsed the Civic Center roof after two feet of snow and a few inches of frozen liquid water, we were without power for six days. Six days is a long time. The wood fireplaces in the 1938 house in which we lived provided the only heat. When it's below freezing outside, the fireplace did add some heat, though the house was slowly cooling the entire time.

But to the point of disaster preparedness, I live in hurricane country now. We are prepared. Food, water, prescription meds, chainsaw gas and chains, tools, alternative heat (gas fireplace with line), alternative cooking (gas grill with line, or Coleman stove with fuel).

After that Ice Storm, numerous blizzards in Colorado and Vermont, a few Hurricanes in Texas and Virginia, I am always prepared. Even my truck and car has tools, blanket, food, water, spare clothing.

In a real disaster, those who are prepared manage through it with less stress, and less risk, than those who are not. Sure, I'll help my neighbor, but there are limits: e.g. I can't make their meds magically appear if they haven't thought ahead.

Want to read an interesting book?

"One Second After" by William Fortschen. A novel about what happens to people and society after an EMP event actually does put them back into the stone age.
It's mental attitude moreso or a much as prepardness. Some people see it as an adventure. Some might even look forward to it. Some people, like my wife, get really thrown off by changes to their routine. And the quiet is eerie. You don't even notice the sounds but when the power goes out it's so silent in the house.

Watching the news I can't understand people needing to stand in line for food after a couple of days. I can't think of a time in my adult life that I (we) couldn't go a week at least with what was in the house, with no planning. Might be some strange combos, peanut butter and beans or whatever, but we would eat. Drinking water is the #1 priority in a short term emergency. As for flushing, you can go out back and dig a hole and deal with it later, IT'S AN EMERGENCY.

Water in the bathtub was mentioned, there are bladders made to fit in the tub for an emergency, no reason not to have one for every tub in your house.
The Tv didn't tell to dig a hole in the yard , to have extra food or fill the water bladder..

Building codes keep pipes from freezing by specifying adequate insulation and burial depth.

These are, obviously, based on experience, foresight, and sound engineering practices.

I would not expect a prospective home owner, or apartment renter, to have to enquire about the survivability of the utilities in a "hundred year weather event." They (we) should trust that someone smart has done their very best to make the situation habitable. The pipes and power should work, just like the drywall should be asbestos and mold free, the foundation is termite-resistant, etc.

Now if the authority having jurisdiction doesn't believe it would freeze and allows shoddy construction, that authority should own the problems that result. Calling people snowflakes for mentioning their problems is a stretch, IMO.

If I recall correctly, fireplaces were a desirable feature in new home construction even down south. I imagine that will be reinforced now.
My son could not find wood for the fireplace because he waited too long … they were on rolling blackouts …
I said no wood at all? (knew he burned some outside) …
“Well, still have my decoration wood“ (rack by fireplace) LoL
Told him I had plenty oak - burn it - and will bring ”both” kinds 😷

Nothing new for someone living in the Northeast... you live here long enough you'll have a generator as you've lost power for hours to weeks at a time due to snow/ice/hurricane. Who doesn't have more than a few days worth of food in there house?

Water would be the biggest issue for those not on a well or issue with public water supply. Heat is mostly oil and gas, usually non-issues. If you have a generator and enough fuel... your ahead of the game.

Most people don't prepare for events that are once in a lifetime... for example Sandy for those of us in the NE. How many people were prepared for the flooding and aftermath?

Back