On the shelf oil filter life.

Motorcraft fl500s. Got some points to use at Ford dealership . I have a 2019 f150 3.3 Put 5000 a year on it. So once a year OCI normally. Getting some free fl500s and sitting them on the shelf for a couple of years should be ok ? Might throw in a couple air filters also. I figure no issues. Not like outdated milk. But wanted to hear from the collective. Ty

I had a NAPA/Wix 21394 fail in 2009 due to the rubber combo valve that was like a rock and shrunken.
I'd post the photo but photobucket converted it to the WEBP format. Ill try linking it.

Agree with all the “no visible rust” comments. Ziploc bag sounds like good idea.

I’ve used filters regardless of age as long as they pass the dent/rust inspection prior to use. I like the MIC filters that come with a plastic debris seal over the threaded end even though I don’t use them on my personal equipment.

Motorcraft fl500s. Got some points to use at Ford dealership . I have a 2019 f150 3.3 Put 5000 a year on it. So once a year OCI normally. Getting some free fl500s and sitting them on the shelf for a couple of years should be ok ? Might throw in a couple air filters also. I figure no issues. Not like outdated milk. But wanted to hear from the collective. Ty
I would use it even if it were dated 2012.

Yes sitting a few years will be fine. Suggest storing them in plastic bags in a cool environment (or as best you can).

How old was that filter that failed?

I had a NAPA/Wix 21394 fail in 2009 due to the rubber combo valve that was like a rock and shrunken.
I'd post the photo but photobucket converted it to the WEBP format. Ill try linking it.

You can upload a photo here directly without Photobucket.
You may recall I've done that thousands of times with .jpg :)
This particular photo has been archived on one of a handful of memory sticks in my desk drawer, but its also in photobucket. I don't know how set that photo for sharing. regardless, it doesn't show much other than a used NAPA Select disassembled on a piece of paper.

Got it, found a download icon button in photobucket

pros21394.JPG

Last edited:
Cummins Filtration's policy is 3 years, but as long as you're keeping them in somewhat climate controlled conditions I wouldn't hold too fast to the 3 year mark.

I've got filters in my garage that I've bought at yard sales, flea markets, and store closeouts for $1 or less each. I know some of them are 20+ years old. I just used one of them Wednesday when I changed the oil in my '94 Ford. I've got some A/C Delco filters that came from a grocery store when they closed down in the late '80's or early 90's

Back