Oldest battery (ICE vehicles)?

These are the ones I remember:

1996 Chevrolet K1500 - Original Delco 8 years, replacement Kirkland went 6 more years then I sold the vehicle not sure how long it ultimately went
2001 Jetta TDI - Original 6 years, then I sold the vehicle not sure how long it ultimately went
2006 GMC Sierra - Original Delco 11 years, my personal best
2011 Shelby - Original Ford 6 years, then I sold the vehicle not sure how long it ultimately went
2017 Tacoma - Original, still in use 5 years
1967 Impala - Delco Gold, still in use 8 years... it is getting close... I have started shopping...

I’ll have to look tomorrow, but I’m pretty sure the MB battery in my MB 240D was from around 2006 or 2007. Still glows and cranks a diesel perfectly.

MIL got 10-11 years out of the OE battery in her Lesabre. It was under the rear seat.

I had similar luck with the one in the trunk of my wife's HHR.

The OE Motorcraft in my dad's 1980 Fairmont was another ringer, lasted ~8 years IIRC then died so abruptly there wasn't even a click.

I got 7.5 yrs out of 4 gp31 NAPA mx free commercial start batteries, pt# 7236 for our Prevost bus/mh. Changed them before they failed.

Got 7.5 yrs out of a gp 26 DuraLast deep cycle wet cell battery that starts the generator in our Prevost bus/mh. Changed it before it failed. Never needed any water.

DieHard Platinum Battery - Group Size 35, installed 6/12/2012 08 Accord daily driver. About 10.5 yrs. Last week, Parked n' Fly for 6 cold days, still crank normal.
I'm not going pre-emptive replace until it died. Just to see how long it can go.

battery in my 66 mustang was 11 years old when it died in october,

Attachments

• 20160606_190917.jpg
    20160606_190917.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 2
Exide Orbital Select born 12/99, died 2021 when it couldn't start a car after a charge.

It's still laying out in the yard.

I have a battery tester so will just replace when the CCA rating is too degraded. Had a 10 year old OE battery on my Hyundai that was working just fine but the CCA rating was 50% of new. It was only summer driven the last few years, but now will be winter driven so I figure better to replace it now rather risk being stuck on a - 40C day. If we didn't have such cold winters I'd have no problem pushing it further.

Recently replaced the original battery in wife's '16 Camry. I didn't have the warm fuzzies about another winter on it. My wife can barely walk. Anyway, I have the original sitting on the steps to the shop. Last Wed, I tested with meter, 12.56V.

12yrs on the Japanese built Panasonic in my 05 Scion. If I ever travel to Japan, I'm bringing back a Group 24 Battery.

Soon to be 7 year old AAA-branded Deka in a LS430. My Deka AGM was halfway to 7 years but it fell splat.

I got only 4-5 years of service from Costco-branded JCIs/Clarios.

The original battery in my 1993 Toyota 4WD PU, 22RE, made at NUMMI, lasted well over 10 years. I hated to see it go...
Those Delco Freedom batteries were good. Toyota installed them at NUMMI and in Canadian-built Lexus RX330s. Everything else US/Canadian-built got Exide or JCI.

Those Delco Freedom batteries were good. Toyota installed them at NUMMI and in Canadian-built Lexus RX330s. Everything else US/Canadian-built got Exide or JCI.
Spot on. It was a Delco. And it may have made it 12 years; it was way over 10. I am guessing spinning over that little 22RE was not too demanding... The odometer quit at 350K but the truck kept on truckin'. Might be still in service.

Went 11 years on the original Panasonic in my '01 Sequoia. Probably would have went further but the last year or two we werent driving it much so it pretty much just sat in the garage, not really being driven anywhere substantial.

Back