Older tires with little to no wear. How old is too old?

Someone I know is selling four "take off" BF Goodrich T/A KO2. Asking price for all four is about the same as one would cost new. The condition is very good. No cracking whatsoever and the tread looks like new. I'm guessing less than 1000 miles on them. The date code is 3018 which would put them a few weeks shy of 5 years.

Should I be concerned about tires manufactured in 2018? How long before age of the rubber becomes a factor in terms of safety/performance?

I think how the tires are store also comes into play. If stored in black plastic bags away from sunlight they should be fine for a few more years. I once read that tires shouldn't be stored near your gas boiler because it gives off ozone (IIRC) which is detrimental to the tires.

That seller is going to be mighty proud of those tires, too, and you won't get a receipt or warranty either.

I like used tires, I run them regularly, but if they're not cheap enough they're a hard pass. And 80% of them out there are too expensive.

Lowball the guy, best case you don't get the turkey tires, and he gets a hint that he wants too much.

No signs of dry rot at but they do look slightly weathered so I suspect they were stored outside at some point...If not the entire time. I'm in Canada, about 100 miles North of Grand Forks ND. Winters here are as harsh as anywhere in the Lower 48.

Sounds like getting more than a year or two out of them would be unlikely.

They're good to use but if they're barely less than new then it's no question. Buy new or tell the guy to drop them some.

I ran the factory original tires that came on my 2003 Dodge truck until 2020. I had 62,000 miles on them and yes I know that was not smart, but if tires show no sign of cracking or belt slippage and you can inspect the inside of the tire for damage or signs that it is sluffing off material and it all looks good I would not hesitate to run them. If he is charging you 25% of new cost and you burn through tires every couple years it sounds like a good deal remembering that you will have to pay mounting and balancing which some dealers throw in when you buy new.

Years ago pick up four tires and wheels from a pic and pull. Tires looked almost new but 10 years old. Two of the four failed in two weeks. Never again called around purchased the cheapest new tires.

Someone I know is selling four "take off" BF Goodrich T/A KO2. Asking price for all four is about the same as one would cost new. The condition is very good. No cracking whatsoever and the tread looks like new. I'm guessing less than 1000 miles on them. The date code is 3018 which would put them a few weeks shy of 5 years.

Should I be concerned about tires manufactured in 2018? How long before age of the rubber becomes a factor in terms of safety/performance?
The price is right. Get 'em!

Scott

Tires will last more years in a cold climate than in a hot one and tires stored out of direct sun will also not age as badly.
Five years is not too old especially if you'll burn them up over the next couple of years.
At 25% of new I'd probably go for it.

I got one truck I'm driving with 20 year old Michelins, but then, some here would call me a dumbass in that regard.
I would have to check but I might have you beat. Tires look great, no weather checking, always stored indoors and the car is driven respectfully. Some may call us dumbasses but I will keep them on for my local driver.

Usually I’ve seen basic age cracking around 7 years so I wouldn’t run over that. 5 years would be the ideal best condition number.

Back