older tire ads

Recent thread got me thinking about tire prices of yore...

This K-Mart ad, from the "Bangor Daily News" 1/7/80, shows that, adjusted for inflation, we used to pay way more for much worse tires. That A78x13 loss leader would be $81.78 today.

Screenshot 2020-12-03 at 8.48.15 PM.png

My father saw one of those ads back about '71 and it made him buy 4 Firestone 500s for his Chevy Impala. Tires were later recalled because they caused many accidents and deaths. He cut the ad out of the paper and kept it as a souvenir. Wish I had kept that ad.

sorry, this is off topic, mostly. Front page news for 1/29/90!
Screenshot 2020-12-03 at 9.31.32 PM.png

In other news, oil changes were still $22 in 1990, and Certificates of Deposit were paying 8.5% !!!

This K-Mart ad, from the "Bangor Daily News" 1/7/80, shows that, adjusted for inflation, we used to pay way more for much worse tires. That A78x13 loss leader would be $81.78 today.
Yeah but you got whitewall tires. Now you don't even get that anymore.

View attachment 35764
Darn hard to find any tire for $82 now!

And as for whitewalls, yes, the only whitewalls I can see that aren't for vintage car sizes (14" and 15") are Vogues at $300 each.

You could get a basic oil change at Walmart then for $11.99. It was a real bargain. Especially if they remembered to put oil back in your engine.
My BiL ran an old 5.7 for days when 3 quarts low (M1) after a Walmart change …
Finally drove with the radio not blaring … engine did not use oil before or after …

In other news, oil changes were still $22 in 1990, and Certificates of Deposit were paying 8.5% !!!
I needed a state inspection and an oil change last month. The local Meineke by me charged $19.95 for a bulk Synthetic Blend 5W-30 and Carquest oil filter. The bulk tanks were the clear plastic type and they were neatly stamped with API SN and no-name oil brand. I remember my dad got oil changes down at the local Sunoco gas station back in the mid-late 90s and I remember them being around $17-$20. Definitely a loss leader for shops to get more work.

View attachment 35764
As a fan of the current standard (width, ratio, wheel diameter) these tire sizes are hurting my soul. Very interesting, if I recall wasn’t there very specific trade law in the US at the time that made tires not manufactured in the US or Continental Europe basically impossible to find? I swear I remember some legislation getting pulled back in the mid to late 00s and all of a sudden low cost Chinese tires came into the market over night. I swear I remember this happening but could be too few cups of coffee this morning.

Back