Older snow tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I might have a line on a set of really cheap used WS-50 blizzaks, they have at least another winter's tread left. The catch is they have seen 6 winters, making them around 7 years old. Thoughts?

Last edited:
for snow tires isn't 4/32 the throw away mark compared to 2/32 on normal tires?

It would really all depend on how it has been stored and etc. Really cheap would be like $10-15 per tire. And even then its normally another $50 to mount and then you would need another set next year for another $50.

Unless you can get them mounted for FREE, then i would easily do them.

I get mounting for free, we are talking $50 for the set, they looks to have 6-7/32 left, putting them right at the end of the multicell compound.

If they were stored where direct sunshine got to them often, or high temperature often, or very dry conditions, I would not use them. The best way to store them is to reduce the pressure to about 4 to 6 PSI and put them on their sides.

I also put several red bricks under the tire on the bottom of the stack to help air circulation, but that is mostly to help prevent the rims from rusting from too much humidity.

I understand your concern about the tires being 6 or more years old, but winter tires do not get exposed to the high temperatures and the high sunshine like summer tires.

The main concern would be damaging them during mounting them because of their age.

I got a second extra set for one of our cars when my brother took an old Buick to the bone yard. The rims were shot because he stored the winter tires on bare earth in his back yard with a thick tarp on top of them. The new rims that I put an extra coat of Rustolem flat black on and put the tires on a year before we gave him that old car were totally rusted out. But the tires are still good. I had them removed from those rusted rims and then sprayed Armor-All on them and stored them without rims for three years before using them. When I had them put on another set of rims I had for one of our cars, the place that mounted them said there was a chance that they would be damaged when stretched during mounting, but they survived that unharmed.

Originally Posted By: default
I get mounting for free, we are talking $50 for the set, they looks to have 6-7/32 left, putting them right at the end of the multicell compound.

Knowing all that, i see no reason not to.

Originally Posted By: default
I might have a line on a set of really cheap used WS-50 blizzaks, they have at least another winter's tread left. The catch is they have seen 6 winters, making them around 7 years old. Thoughts?

WS-50 Multicell Tube compound only goes about 55% of the tread.

the rest, is an all-season compound....

iirc, the tread depth is 13/32".... if it's worn to about 6/32".... it's not worth wasting money buying and mounting them

In my experience, after about 4 years or so, the soft rubber on winter tires hardens enough so that winter performance is degraded significantly, regardless how much tread is left. Alas, I suspect this varies somewhat from one winter tire model to another.

WS-50's I had once. Incredible on snow and ice. However absolute garbage on in the wet. Given all the rain in the winter too I would not even spend $50 on them. All-seasons are better if you are currently running them.

I wouldnt do it 6/32 is basically worn out and the ws-50's were mediocre anyway. decent in snow but bad handling.

the underlying compound is a standard winter compound not all season though.

if you need tires.. and got them for free it might be worth the hassle of mounting them.

Quote:

Blizzak WS (Winter Studless) tires feature dual tread compounds consisting of outer tread cap and underlying base compounds. When viewed through a microscope, the outer Blizzak Multicell compound resembles the appearance of Swiss cheese because it contains millions of uniformly distributed microscopic pores that are constantly being exposed as the tread surface wears. In addition to providing thousands of miniature biting edges, these pores help wick away the thin layer of water that often develops on top of snow packed and icy roads, allowing the biting edges to better adhere to the surface for more traction. The underlying base compound is a standard winter tread compound.

snow cable chain will cost $25-$40, and will not last long.

you say they looks to have 6-7/32 left,. the best way is use the tire tread guage.

I am sure it will handle better than all season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back