Older Murry snowblower question.,,,

I have an older Murray snowblower with a 5 hp tecumseh motor on it, It starts and runs pretty good for being 26 years old. Last time I used it it seemed like at top speed it was kinda weak and struggling to throw snow, and move itself through the snow. I went online and bought one of those cheap small engine tachs to see what top RPM is. Idle is about 1150-1200 rpms with the tach, and top RPM only goes to 1900-2000 according to the tack. I don't have another one to check it against, but to me that sounds like why it isn't throwing snow as good as it could be. I can move the throttle lever by hand on the carb, and the rpms will go up to 2500-2600 rpms. Sounds like its making more power at that rpm, but I can't get it to go that high with the throttle lever on the machine. Any experts want to take a shot at what's wrong with it?.,,,

Some of those have a way you can adjust the cable so it can open the throttle more or less. Usually the whole cable is secured with a screw and a clamp. You can loosen it and slide the cable to change the adjustment.

Reactions: JC1
Is this a two stage snow blower? Have you done any maintenance to it? Might need some cleanup, greasing and adjustment. The belts probably are stretched and could use replacing as well.

Check YouTube there are tons of videos that will assist you.

Also be sure to check the spark plug. I have a 5hp Tecumseh that was idling fine but struggling to make power and a new spark plug fixed the issue.

On a two stage snow blower replacing the belts can be a PIA. Often you need to break the machine in half. If you go that route I would suggest ordering and replacing any little metal springs in there. With a 26 year old snowblower there are bound to be a few ready to give out. I have an older Ariens 36" and as fast as I replaced various spring, other would fail. FInally ordered all the ones I could see and replaced them.

Bend the throttle cable a little bit and I bet you can eek out a few more rpms. Also agree with changing the spark plug, easy and cheap maintenance that has a decent probability of making a difference.

Well ,there is no cable on this blower. Only a lever that attaches to a spring to the governor. Like i said, it will accelerate to 2600 rpm, if I move the butterfly by hand. But not with the lever. ,,

Duffyjr, thanks for the vid. But Mine doesn't look anything like what he's working on but, some of what he's talking about may come in handy. I'l l give it another try tomorrow.,,,

Sounds to me like there is still a problem other than the throttle adjustment. 2600 is still LOW for holding the throttle open manually. If that was on your lawn mower, it would hardly mow grass. Usual full governed speed is more like 3200 or so. Older mowers used to run at 3600 before the government stepped in.
What is causing the problem? Hard to say, could be Many things.

The governor spring is probably stretched or the throttle is gunked up and not moving smoothly enough. I have a 96 Ariens that uses the 8 hp version of that motor and carb and you really do need to watch a youtube of adjusting the governor and get that right before you mess with anything else or you will end up chasing your tail and tecumsehs are not tolerant of over reving. Keep the rpms to about 3450.

The governor spring is probably stretched or the throttle is gunked up and not moving smoothly enough. I have a 96 Ariens that uses the 8 hp version of that motor and carb and you really do need to watch a youtube of adjusting the governor and get that right before you mess with anything else or you will end up chasing your tail and tecumsehs are not tolerant of over reving. Keep the rpms to about 3450.
I agree with all the above

I agree with the governor spring suggestions.

If it can get to higher RPM by manually moving something, I would think its not the spark plug, though I would replace if it its old enough anyway.

Those Tecumseh engines are loud and underpowered but can sure take a beating. The 9HP in my Ariens snowblower is 15 years old and still starts on the first pull. Only things Ive done to it are change the oil and store it correctly (run out all fuel, add stabilized fuel with a little MMO in it and then run it on that for a bit, then leave it during the off-season)

By forcing the throttle wide open by hand should cause the engine to scream to an uncomfortable speed. Myself, I would look a fuel flow issue because I doubt this condition has been this way since day one, I am assuming you are the original owner. Governors just don't go out of adjustment on their own but you never know.

Nah, I'm not the original owner. I got this one about 5 years ago, and it never seemed like it was revving high enough or making enough power. Funny in the last 5 years, I've only used it 3 times. Unlike years ago, it doesn't snow that much around here to need it. It's faster to shovel then get the blower out. It snowed last night 2-3 inches, again it will be easier to shovel it. Hopefully this weekend will be nice enough to mess with it. Thanks again for all the comments. I'll report back on the progress I make with it.,,,

Set the RPMs at 3450. You do that by moving the engine throttle lever up then there is an adjusting screw at the throttle, turn that in.

Back