Older Desktop Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Lenovo M90P desktop that I bought used (I5-650 3.2 chip, 8GB DDR3 Win10 Pro). Aside from a flaky POWER button, I think the hardware is okay but a quick check wouldn’t hurt. However I’m sure the OS is compromised and I’d just like to have the hard drive wiped and a clean version of Win 10 installed. Besides the fact that I don’t have the time or inclination to attempt this myself, I’d just rather pay a reputable person more knowledgeable than myself and know (hope) that it gets done correctly.

Question: what is a fair price to accomplish this? If possible, I’d like to spend no more than $200. Is that reasonable? If no, what is the upper limit of a fair price?. Thanks in advance.

Can't you yak it up @ work or among friends? I'd do that for free for any not irritating coworker assuming i'm not driving 40 miles to their house.

What was its original OS? If it's windows 7 you should be able to reinstall *that* from the license key on the back and a legit, free download. Then upgrade to win 10. Win 10 seems like it's cheapest when it's an upgrade.

This sounds like a job for a geeky 13 year old neighborhood kid.

No because a) I work from home and b) the friends I have know less about computers than I do.

Nothing to a Win load. For any enthusiast willing to help, that's a freebie.
Computer shop, probably at least 150.
It isn't hard, you can do it.

Last edited:
IMO, do not upgrade from Win7 to 10 via download upgrade. Buy the disc and wipe the hard drive and install clean. I have had too many computers just crash after the W7 to W10 jump.

Last edited:
If you already have Win10 installed you can download the full installation package from Microsoft. When you install it you'll have the option to do a clean install.

I would swap to a ssd while im at it. You can get 512gb for ~100. You should be able to reinstall windows 10 if only the hard drive is changed out. Ssd will make a spinning hard drive computer like 2x to 4x faster. It is very noticably faster.

Then you plug the original drive in as a data drive.

Easy breezy

Last edited:
The OP is not comfortable with those abstraction layers from the computer world. So, the advice like ISO image file or settings of any sort are Greek to the OP. I'd come over and do that, if I were a local. Prolly some starving artist and a Marxist on top of that. Have mercy, folks.

Where are you in Ohio? are you near Akron?

I would think
$100 cash for an acquaintance would be decent pay.

retail price $150-$200 for a company such as microcenter.

You should probably recover it to the new factory condition, remove all the bloatware.. then perform any upgrade
windows 10?

Then any updates
windows update, drivers etc.

Then programs such as antivirus or any software you use

openoffice, a video player etc.

You would also need a license for windows 10 because that didnt come with windows 10 new.

you could also the much easier "reset" of windows 10
https://www.onmsft.com/news/windows-10-reset-refresh-windows-10-installation-better-performance

I would steer clear of these Lenovo Tiny's.

Especially a broken one if you don't have means to repair it.

I have seen lots of weird problems with them. Power button not working could be motherboard, power supply, or a host of different issues.

I would start by resetting the CMOS jumper on the motherboard and trying to get it to power up with a different power cable. These things take a laptop style power adapter as well.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
What was its original OS? If it's windows 7 you should be able to reinstall *that* from the license key on the back and a legit, free download. Then upgrade to win 10. Win 10 seems like it's cheapest when it's an upgrade.

This sounds like a job for a geeky 13 year old neighborhood kid.

Just an FYI, but you can use a Windows 7 product key to install Windows 10.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
I would steer clear of these Lenovo Tiny's.

Especially a broken one if you don't have means to repair it.

Agree. I prefer to replace anything moving on my workstation-class puters every 5 years.
That usually involves PSU, CPU and case fans, video card fan.

I am not even considering lower grade hardware, not worth the time

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Originally Posted By: Y_K
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
https://www.arrowdirect.com/lenovo-m92p-...-form-computer/

SSD 8Gb RAM Windows 10 with no nagware

Why spend the $$ on labor when you can buy, plug in and use?

404 Error

Someone bought it.

I had a similar thought of getting a refurb that was ready to go. Especially with a power switch that has issues on the computer he has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back