Old school race cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont thing a LONG race engine would last on ow. i see lots of people talk about a race engine but i NEVER hear what bearing clearances they run. the OLD school drag race engine ran .003-.004.

Originally Posted By: morris
i dont thing a LONG race engine would last on ow. i see lots of people talk about a race engine but i NEVER hear what bearing clearances they run. the OLD school drag race engine ran .003-.004.

The Corvette Racing guys said they used the 0W50 at Le Mans. They showed the quick top-off connectors for the engine and gearbox fluids mounted to the side of the car by the fuel rig connector.

Back in the 70's, my SCCA B production Corvette SBC ran a non-detergent 30 weight racing oil. I used a Valvoline, low-ash version for many years as did most of my competitors. Castrol and Shell 10W-30 racing oils were also popular; however, Castrol cost a fortune and only lasted one race weekend even if decanted when hot to remove any solids that might gum up the works. Although the Shell racing 10W-30 was excellent (and in retrospect probably the best oil at the time), most of us had drag racing backgrounds where multi-weight oils were known as engine killers.

RAM-CHARGER 413 V-8 GENERAL SPECIFICATIONS

The Ram-Charger 413 is not only a high-performance engine that is second to none in
stock-car ranks, it is an entire automobile designed especially for competitive-type
driving -You'll see in the information listed below.
I stole this text from maxwedge.com!
o BEARING CLEARANCES
I stole this text from maxwedge.com!
Main bearings, .001" -.0035"
Connecting-rod bearings, .001" - .0035"
NOTE:to be sure that bearing clearance .0035 was the only clearance used. NOTE: this engine was to NOT be ran at top rpm for more than 15 secondes.

I just saw a Max Wedge Plymouth the other day that a collector purchased. Had 150 miles on it.

While I will say the Max Wedge cars were definitely not meant for street use, the Ford Thunderbolt was probably the ultimate super stock drag car of the early 60's. The plymouth I saw did not have all the crazy engineering of a Thunderbolt.

Last edited:
TO: Robenstein what are you smoking? EVERY thing you said is as upside down as can be. and the ford you talk about wasnt early 60s. it was a 1964.

Well since its pre 65, which is the MIDDLE of the decade, 64 to me is still early 60's

And I have watched the documentaries on the Max Wedge Mopars and the Fort Thunderbolts. The Thunderbolt was much much more modified to shoe horn that engine in the small Fairlaine. Everything from the doors forward had to be modified.

And these were able to be purchased and competitively raced from the get go. If I recall they beat the max wedge cars pretty well in the 64 Super Stock wars. And the Ford driver that won the title....won a Plymouth ironically. But I will admit that in 63, the Max Wedge cars had ruled the tracks since GM pulled out and the Ford Galaxy was too much of a tank to be competitive.

Last edited:
i took a trip to tulsa ok each October from 1966 to 1969 for the world points finals. i saw lots and lots of dodges. Plymouths, i saw only a few Thunderbolts. i saw hundreds and hundreds of mopar wins, i NEVER saw a ford win. how many times has a ford beat the 1968 hemi cuda? i saw them when they was new, NO BODY BEAT THEM back then, today NO BODY BEATS THEM now. some where i have the pics. what ever you are smoking STOP it! please dont tell me things i have seen in person.

Well that was in 66 to 69, when the big battles had shifted more to NASCAR between Ford and Mopar with their 427 hi rise and cammer vs the Hemi. I was talking pre 65, which you tried to argue about being out of the time reference in your last post.Also the Thunderbolt was out of production by then as it was made one year only. You only see a few Thunderbolts because they are so rare....lots more MOPARs out there with Max Wedge and Hemi Motors. And we were not arguing Hemi's. You are the one wandering all over hades here. I gave the Max Wedge cars credit, but the fact is the fact. The year the Thunderbolt came out....MOPAR LOST!

Maybe you should just simmer down Morris. My old man raced the AHRA circuit in G stock if I recall all the way through the 60's and although he was a GM man, he would probably be able to tell you all about how the Thunderbolts were the ones to beat in 64. You wont see many of them anymore since they tend to sell for 500k if complete and original.

Originally Posted By: morris
what ever you are smoking STOP it!

The truth? Facts? Look up the results in 64 and try to refute the Thunderbolt's effectiveness against the Chrysler Corp's offerings.

Sounds like you may be the one who did some smoking in the 60's.
wink.gif

I can tell you must love MOPARS. I don't hate on any of the big three when it comes to classics. They were all fast from the 409 Chevys, to the Swiss Cheese Pontiac Super Duty, and yes the Max Wedge Cars and FE powered Fords in the early 60's.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
I don't hate on any of the big three when it comes to classics. They were all fast from the 409 Chevys, to the Swiss Cheese Pontiac Super Duty, and yes the Max Wedge Cars and FE powered Fords in the early 60's.

I'm with you on that one, except that I extend it to TODAY'S domestic musclecars/ponycars as well, NOT just the "classics" (over everything else in the world)!!
34.gif
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back