Old RV gas mileage

I drove a '76 Lincoln Mark IV with a 460/4BBL in the '90's. Driving it like there was an egg between my foot and the gas pedal and usually driving around 50-55 MPH I'd get 10-11 MPG in local driving. If I'd set the c/c on 55 on the highway I could squeeze about 14 out of it. This motor home is probably heavier than the Mark IV and has the aerodynamics of a brick. When I moved from NC to KY in 2010 I rented a 24' moving van with a diesel engine. I wasn't used to driving a vehicle that large so for safety's sake I drove it about 55 MPH on the road. With it fully loaded I got about 10 MPG diesel. Most of the trip was interstate highway driving.

Those twin rear wheels are cool but assume they aren't duallies and only one is a driven axle. Sold my '88 Southwind last spring after owning 8 years and putting little more than 100 miles on it. Most of that, driving it back and forth to an inspection station for the buyer. It had a 454 which was the best thing on it. The guy drove it 200 miles home with the only issue being a blown tire. The main concern with something that old is roof leaks and the resulting water damage inside the walls.

001.jpg

I have a 19and 1/2 foot Roadtrek Versatille from 1993 on a Dodge 1 ton chassis with a 5.2 Magnum. Gets 16mpg at 70 mph. Can sleep 2 adult and 2 kids. Keep it for trips out west. My 27 ft Coach House with the 6.8 Ford with full Banks Power headers and all can get 14.5 but usually closer to 11-12. at 68mph.

A 32 tag axle gas rig? 5-6 at around 55-60 at best with a tip top tune.

Dont forget to subtract about 1.5 GPH to run the genset to keep it cool in the summer because dash air isnt cutting it.

"Needs work" lol

Those twin rear wheels are cool but assume they aren't duallies and only one is a driven axle. Sold my '88 Southwind last spring after owning 8 years and putting little more than 100 miles on it. Most of that, driving it back and forth to an inspection station for the buyer. It had a 454 which was the best thing on it. The guy drove it 200 miles home with the only issue being a blown tire. The main concern with something that old is roof leaks and the resulting water damage inside the walls.

View attachment 53946
LOL, here was my 1988 same 454, 24 feet, Alcoa Rims, Cam, full exhaust, super blue suspension, air bags. Was a hot rod for an RV.
We picked it up with 36,000 miles on it owned it 5 years sold it with 57,000ish on it. I loved that thing. Came with all the modifications.
207347_1044401963617_77_n.jpg

Last edited:
Really? that's like over $100 a day.

Im a little high on that, but not much - closer to 1 GPH to run 2 -15KBTU AC units.

Onan 7000 will drink about 1.2 GPH at full tilt when new

sometimes you can run 1 at night but on an 80-90 degree day you'll need 2 plus the dash air.

but to your point - yeah its expensive.

I used to own a Revcon Prince that had the Front wheel drive like the GMC motor homes. It was 32' long and had the axles in the back like the GMC. With the 454 and headers and Crower cam and Edelbroc manifold it would get 9-9.5 mpg with dash AC and doing 65-70. Made like an Airstream with fiberglass front and sides by the wheels. Special made and designed by the Grandson of the Airstream inventor. We lived in ours for months while our house was being rebuilt after a water line broke while on vacation. It was really nice.

A top end kit with an " RV cam" and good dual plane intake and aluminum heads goes a long way in an old school RV, and can be bolted on in a weekend.

Father in law had a 30 something foot Cobra with the 440 engine. I took it to the beach and got 15mpg on mostly flat straight running. It did better than some cars at the time.

The OP wouldnt get 15 in that rig if he coasted down the side of mount everest in neutral.

LOL, here was my 1988 same 454, 24 feet, Alcoa Rims, Cam, full exhaust, super blue suspension, air bags. Was a hot rod for an RV.
We picked it up with 36,000 miles on it owned it 5 years sold it with 57,000ish on it. I loved that thing. Came with all the modifications.
View attachment 54016
That motorhome looks so incredibly not proportionate. Like someone was taking a panoramic picture while it was moving.

1AE7201B-4035-4EC3-AF6D-2323E742D4A8.jpeg

That motorhome looks so incredibly not proportionate. Like someone was taking a panoramic picture while it was moving.

View attachment 54057

Its a lil different but that thing with a hot big block is killer,
Fits in lots of places, easy to drive through town, just enough stabin cabin space

Ive had tons of RV's, and camped and been in hundreds.
I went bigger with a 36ft class a diesel but It less fun in lots of ways from one of those.
Sure its bigger and a bit more comfortable and diesel is great, but it is no way more fun than a snappy smaller one for a short time.

Im ready to go back down in size. Looking for a small diesel.

View attachment 54057
It was the best one, you could take it anywhere even on the forest service roads. When the kids are gone. I hope to go down to a 22 to 26 foot trailer from my current 32 (35 feet 10 inch overall) bunkhouse.

Back