old Purolator Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have two old Purolator Classic filters, L14477 and L14612. They fit a Scion XB and a Subaru Forester. The Forester has been running Amsoil or FU filters with 10k OCI, Scion same until last change. Is the risk of tearing too much to use them for a 5K OCI?

Should I throw them out?

About 3 - 4 years ago I used a couple of Purolator Classics for 7,000 mile change intervals. First one came out with 28 holes in it and the second had 24 holes. The filter media just turned to mush. I don't use them any more. Your choice.

How "Old"?

There is a manufacturer code printed on the top of the filter.

Letter - Plant location
2 numbers - month
letter - year
2 numbers - day
letter - Assembly line
number - shift

Example - F02G04G2

F - Fayettevile Plant
02 - February
G - 2015
04 - 4th day of the month
G - assembly line
2 - 2nd shift

Regardless, the tearing started in the 2013-2014 timeframe (E/F date code) and continues today, so a D year code (2012) or older is probably fine to use, but that would make it a 5 year old filter.

Personally, I would not (and did not) use a Purolator made filter. I had a Motorcraft 820S that I just cut open to look at.
The only exception is the Bosch Distance +, seems to be the only one Purolator made filter that has no problems.

They will be fine for 3-5k changes. I am personally using up my old stock.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SOWT
Have two old Purolator Classic filters, L14477 and L14612. They fit a Scion XB and a Subaru Forester. The Forester has been running Amsoil or FU filters with 10k OCI, Scion same until last change. Is the risk of tearing too much to use them for a 5K OCI?

Should I throw them out?

This is the Con side of hoarding. It does not always pay.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
They will be fine for 3-5k changes. I am personally using up my old stock.

They do tear in that time frame, the one I pulled had 4500 and 4 tears.

They dont even take that long. When the "tearolator" scare first started, I pulled the one off my Corolla that had been there a few weeks at the most. Maybe a few hundred miles? Already had a significant tear in the usual place. My neighbor had a Corolla as well and had stockpiled a few of these he had gotten on sale, and when he traded it in on his Telsa (hows that for an upgrade?!) he pulled in my driveway and handed me three that he hadnt used yet. I talked to him for a bit, thanked him for the filters, and as soon as he pulled out and headed home I walked up my driveway, into the garage, and the filters went "ka-chunk..ka-chunk..ka-chunk" as I underhanded them one at a time right into the garbage can in the corner.

I wouldnt bother with these filters, there is clearly a quality issue.

Should I throw them out?

I threw mine out last year. Won;t use them again - unless the board here gives Purolator a green light that tears have ceased.

Originally Posted By: quint
They dont even take that long. When the "tearolator" scare first started, I pulled the one off my Corolla that had been there a few weeks at the most. Maybe a few hundred miles? Already had a significant tear in the usual place. My neighbor had a Corolla as well and had stockpiled a few of these he had gotten on sale, and when he traded it in on his Telsa (hows that for an upgrade?!) he pulled in my driveway and handed me three that he hadnt used yet. I talked to him for a bit, thanked him for the filters, and as soon as he pulled out and headed home I walked up my driveway, into the garage, and the filters went "ka-chunk..ka-chunk..ka-chunk" as I underhanded them one at a time right into the garbage can in the corner.

You throw three away without cutting them and then tell us there's a "quality issue" with them? THat's real "ka chunk" science.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig
You throw three away without cutting them and then tell us there's a "quality issue" with them? THat's real "ka chunk" science.

It is hard to tell if a new filter will fail.
You just can't predict what would happen by looking at a virgin filter (and can't use it once cut open).
The Motorcraft 820S that I cut open to look at was inconclusive as to would it last or not (but I was not impressed by the pleat spacing, curved pleats, and slits on ADV).

How old are they? As others have said, I'd avoid ones made since the tearing started. On another hand, I used many older white Purolators (including Kmart ones), ran them typically around 18,0000 miles, cut open maybe half of them, and never saw a single tear or other serious problem. Admittedly, the anti-drainback valves were sometimes iffy by that mileage.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: quint

Being that, after searching, I could find an extreme lack of threads where someone cut open an unused Purolator filter and found tears in the media, versus a veritable overabundance of threads, on this forum and MANY others, where someone cut open a USED Purolator filter and found torn media, it would be obvious TO SOME PEOPLE when exactly the issue with quality comes into play.

Should I continue with this explanation, or do you get it now? I can type slower if you need time to let things sink in a bit.

2X. L14612 with code F11D28E2

Made in Fayetteville
November
28th day of month
E assembly line
2nd shift

3X F05G21E3

Made in Fayetteville
May
21st day of month
E assembly line
3rd shift

Based upon the codes the L14612 are okay as they were manufactured before the tearing problem started.
The L14477 are going in the trash can.

Side note: the 2015 ones I can wiggle the inside portion of filter w/i the canister. 2012 ones are tight as can be. Don't know if that matters, but it could be a sign of loosening manufacturing standards/allowable tolerances. I'm too much a novice to know for sure.

This brings up another question though, MC FL 820S are made by Purolator?
Bought one last week for either the F53 or F150. If that filter is garbage then perhaps an FU XG2 would be a better choice?

Yes I have these filters because of hoarding, i.e. Stocking up when found with a lowered sale price.
Did the same thing when Amsoil had their free shipping promotion.
Being that I'm not comfortable with going over 10K OCI yet, maybe the WIX is a better idea than using
EA filters.. They certainly cost less.

Originally Posted By: CR94
... I used many older white Purolators (including Kmart ones), ran them typically around 18,0000 miles, cut open maybe half of them, ...
Oops! I meant 18,000 miles per filter.

2X. L14612 with code F11D28E2

Made in Fayetteville
November
28th day of month
E assembly line
2nd shift

3X F05G21E3

Made in Fayetteville
May
21st day of month
E assembly line
3rd shift

Based upon the codes the L14612 are okay as they were manufactured before the tearing problem started.
The L14477 are going in the trash can.

Side note: the 2015 ones I can wiggle the inside portion of filter w/i the canister. 2012 ones are tight as can be. Don't know if that matters, but it could be a sign of loosening manufacturing standards/allowable tolerances. I'm too much a novice to know for sure.

This brings up another question though, MC FL 820S are made by Purolator?
Bought one last week for either the F53 or F150. If that filter is garbage then perhaps an FU XG2 would be a better choice?

I have torn two FL-820S. I have moved on. Fram makes a better filter.

Torn 820s? Think I'm going to stick with FU/Amsoil filters for 10K OCI and Wix for 5K OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back