Old Oil in Garaged Bike--Dump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my bikes has been sitting since December. Oil in it is Mobil 1 10-40 (bike oil), and it's only got about 1,500 miles on it. Should I dump it and replace, or is it okay to run?

Also another question: if a bike has been sitting with used oil for a long time, would it be better not to run the engine to heat the oil up as usual, but dump the oil without running the engine first, then replacing with a cheaper oil, and then run the engine to heat the oil in order to be able to dump whatever nasty stuff is left over from the old oil?

Thanks in advance.

1. I would continue to run it.

2. I'd warm up the engine and then change it. No need for a "cheap oil" flush.

I dont see any reason not to ride it.
That said. I change my oil at the end of the season (October here) and put fresh oil in itto flush out any acids and impurities. It sits from Oct till about mid April.

Thanks for the feedback! Will do as suggested.

One more non-lube thing I was wondering about: gas has been sitting in the tank for months in one bike, and more than a year in the other bike. Sta-bil in both tanks. Still, I don t want to run the bike with old gas. Some folks have told me to drain the gas from the fuel line, and either run it in the cage, or use in a lawnmower. Suggestions?

Thanks again!

Originally Posted By: tmcafe
Thanks for the feedback! Will do as suggested.

One more non-lube thing I was wondering about: gas has been sitting in the tank for months in one bike, and more than a year in the other bike. Sta-bil in both tanks. Still, I don t want to run the bike with old gas. Some folks have told me to drain the gas from the fuel line, and either run it in the cage, or use in a lawnmower. Suggestions?

Thanks again!

Run the bike with the few month old gas. Drain the year old one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back