Old Lawnmower - Service and Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, as you may know I have an old Briggs and Stratton 6B-HS lawnmower engine that I got from a guy at a garage sale whose dad had tried to restore it back in the day (1980s?), but died before he could finish the project. It was given to me because I had an interest in these things and because I paid $10 for a rusted old '53 edger that wouldn't start.

This engine was made around 1954. It is a 1.25-1.75 HP* that was sold on a mower from Sears. It took about a year of gathering parts and things but I did get it running and still use it from time to time. In fact, I mowed my front lawn with it just today and it did a fine job.

Sears still carries parts for it. Looks like about 75% of the parts are still available:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdir...59/1245/1503500

And Briggs still has the manual for it:
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engines...ator%20Manuals/

Now, that's what I call service and support. How many companies still haven't dropped support for a 57 year old piece of equipment?

And, because I know all of you are wondering, here's the oil specs:

DSCN0250.jpg

It looks pretty dirty, but I think it has quite a lot of character. Maybe if she wasn't almost 60, I might re-paint her but I just can't bring myself to cover up that history.

*- I misspoke in another thread and said it was a 2 or 2.5 HP. I was wrong.

Now that's neat. It's okay to paint as long as it's the same color as original. Just don't paint over that old label.

Is that setting on top of the original mower? If so, give us a pic.

Originally Posted By: 660mag
1.25hp and most likely every bit as strong as a new 4horse.
Very cool.

No, not nearly. It runs strong and appears to have had good maintenance with fairly low hours, but you can tell it's just a little engine. It's on a 20" deck now, but it was probably intended for an 18". If you get in grass more than a couple of inches above the proper level, you can tell that it struggles a bit. You really have to go slow, but that's part of the appeal. It was a mower for a different time.

I'll get a picture of it up pretty soon. I used to have a video of it running, but I guess I deleted it. Maybe I'll make another one if I feel like it. That's where the real difference is between it and newer engines - it sounds really good. In fact, I may make a comparison video between a late model 4.5 horse and this one. That could make some interesting points.

So here it is. I don't have the above pictured part in the video because it broke, but despite that I thought some people might want to take a look.

Also, don't judge me on the quality of my lawn. It hasn't rained here in a month or more and it's not looking too pretty.

I plan to outfit it with a throttle, too, but it does a decent job on it's own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back